MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chirp-enabled caches in Minnesota
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Chirp-enabled caches in Minnesota Reply with quote

Love 'em or hate 'em, they're starting to show up 'round these parts. This isn't a thread about the pros or cons either way - there's already one of those on these forums. My intention is just to compile a list of Chirp enabled caches so we're not sorting through pages and pages of puzzles to find one, until someone finds a few and makes a bookmark list.

Here's the only one I know about so far:

GC2K8K0 - Go West Young Man

And since I have a couple gift cards burning holes in my pocket, I might brave the throngs of humanity tomorrow to go seek it out.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just make a PQ with the attribute selected... Chirp caches all have the attribute (so far)...
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one in Maple Grove right off of 94 and Weaver Lake Rd... don't have a clue about the name of it, I just know it exists. Big help I know...
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chirping Around Rice Lake Shocked
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, OK. I heard Esko Climber mention a chirp cache and wondered what it was. I have to admit that I am not a forum person so missed it. I found this line and see that PearHead said to make a PQ that has chirp as a factor in it. I took a look and did not see it. Are there any up North? I am curious about what one of them looks like.

RonGerth
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonGerth wrote:
Ah, OK. I heard Esko Climber mention a chirp cache and wondered what it was. I have to admit that I am not a forum person so missed it. I found this line and see that PearHead said to make a PQ that has chirp as a factor in it. I took a look and did not see it. Are there any up North? I am curious about what one of them looks like.

RonGerth

I'm not sure where they all are for sure but I don't recall any being in my normal caching area. There are none in Duluth (we're just not that technologically advanced here). Smile
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, cost is 23 bucks for the chirp chip and they are out of stock. Wonder if this is gonna take off or if it is a fad. Would be nice to have a way to find them when I go to the cities on trips. I see that there are a couple of them down there.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, are you saying you created a pocket query and couldn't find any in Duluth or you don't know how to create a pocket query to look for Chirp-enabled caches?

You need to look for this icon in the "Attributes to Include" section when creating your pocket query and click on it to enable the icon

RonGerth wrote:
I found this line and see that PearHead said to make a PQ that has chirp as a factor in it. I took a look and did not see it. Are there any up North? I am curious about what one of them looks like.

tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonGerth wrote:
Wow, cost is 23 bucks for the chirp chip and they are out of stock. Wonder if this is gonna take off or if it is a fad. Would be nice to have a way to find them when I go to the cities on trips. I see that there are a couple of them down there.

If you posted in the forums when you were going to be here and what caches you wanted to find I bet someone with a compatible device would meet you at the cache. I certainly would be able to help you out if I wasn't busy.

I just ran a PQ and found 8 in the state, most of them in the Twin Cities.
swfan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just placed one in Eagan a few weeks ago. GC2WJN8. Sorry I don't know how make that a link.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PA-20 has a chirp GC2PVEB near Webster MN
Hal-oween
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few more that I have seen.

Go West by doublemoose in Inver Grove
http://coord.info/GC2J0WR

BEACONS! - Chirp! Chirp! by Jam3s in Clearwater. This one is my favorite so far. The "Beacon" at stage one is pretty funny.
http://coord.info/GC2H1ME

Not a Peep! by Ruderat in Minnetonka
and http://coord.info/GC2QNWX
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the info. I have a Colorado and have seen the Chirp button on it so I am set that way. I also know how to make a PQ but do not see where the icon for a chirp cache is. I will have to take a look at it again and see. I live in the Duluth area and have an idea and a place for a cache and might try to find a chip to make one up here. With luck they will be back in stock sooner rather than later.

Thanks again for the info. I am going to take another look for the button in the PQ.

RonGerth
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it, for some reason I was thinking it was a check box and not a push button in the PQ setup. Looks like it will be neat, now to get Garmin to make a bunch to get them off of back order.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who needs chirps - I have two which I would like to part with - they are brand new and never used
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: