MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS MAP 76

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heymagic
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: GPS MAP 76 Reply with quote

Hi,
My grandkids are interested in geocaching and I decided to help them out. A friend had a Garmin GPSMap 76 that he has really never used and now it is ours. It came with a serial cable and our computer has only usb ports.
I was wondering if anyone has used a serial adapter with success and/or if familiar with the unit?
They are excited to get started (10 and 8 year olds) but I know I'll need to be able to download some stuff from someplace.
Any help would be great.

Three newbies.

Mike
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: GPS MAP 76 Reply with quote

heymagic wrote:
Hi,
My grandkids are interested in geocaching and I decided to help them out. A friend had a Garmin GPSMap 76 that he has really never used and now it is ours. It came with a serial cable and our computer has only usb ports.
I was wondering if anyone has used a serial adapter with success and/or if familiar with the unit?
They are excited to get started (10 and 8 year olds) but I know I'll need to be able to download some stuff from someplace.
Any help would be great.

Three newbies.

Mike

Yes. I bought an adapter at a local electronics retailer. I would also recommend looking into a program like GSAK. http://www.gsak.net/
Come to the Breakfast Buddies on Saturday, and bring the grandkids, there will be lots of folks who can help and offer tips and suggestions for a newbie.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, the way to go. You can buy them for around $15 online. Do a google search on the item below.

IOGEAR USB PDA/ Serial Adapter GUC232A Serial adapter - USB

Radio Shack sells the one above for about $30. But like I say you can find it online cheaper.

If you don't want IOGEAR just do a search for USB to Serial and you will find various manufactures out there.

Bestbuy.com has several online but they are more expensive.
heymagic
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both for the help. I would like to attend the breakfast, but the kids don't know about the GPS yet. If I bring them there it "might" be a dead giveaway. I'm sure they would like to meet some other kids nearby who share the same interests.
I ordered a serial to usb converter online and should have it by Monday. I'm hoping to find a way to upload maps with more detail as needed.
I also checked out the GSAK info and downloaded GSAK 101. It looks like a great tool, although I probably will appreciate it more when it all starts to make more sense to me.
Mike
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heymagic wrote:
I'm sure they would like to meet some other kids nearby who share the same interests.

If I had this opportunity with my kids I'd give up the surprise in a heartbeat to make this happen.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always save the gps surprise for Christmas and bring them to breakfast. You can always tag along with someone else and "use" their gps to make the finds. Then the kids will be even more excited to find that they have a gps on Christmas that they get to use! I found my first caches without having my own gps.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
You can always save the gps surprise for Christmas and bring them to breakfast. You can always tag along with someone else and "use" their gps to make the finds. Then the kids will be even more excited to find that they have a gps on Christmas that they get to use! I found my first caches without having my own gps.

There are always kids there, and someone to take out a first timer. Plus, there's bacon!
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
EPMinnesota wrote:

There are always kids there, and someone to take out a first timer. Plus, there's bacon!

There's bacon you say?? Tell me more!!! The only warnig I'll give you is I once got one of the adaptors off of ebay maybe, someplace online and it was a made in China piece of junk that didn't work, so if you can test it in advance I would. If it is bad check Microcenter locally over in St Louis Park (100 and Excelsior area and there is a cache there too) they usually have better prices than Best Buy or the Shack.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm hoping to find a way to upload maps with more detail as needed.

Here is a great Minnesota Topo map that is free. You use Garmin Mapsource to load it to your gps.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/153/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: