MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin-Asus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Garmin-Asus Reply with quote

A couple months back my trusty tmoble dash bit the dust so I decided to try the new Garmin-asus gps/phone

Here is my take:
Pluses:
1) It's a gps so with the included windshield mount it's just like my Nuvi and is a standard gps with all the navigation abilities.
2) It's also an android phone so I can used google maps and all the droid add-ons.
3) Accuracy using geocaching or geobeagle is about 4-6feet or about twice as accurate as my gps60sx
4) I can use the city street directions to get near a cache area then switch to compass, map or sky view to locate - compass works awesome.
5) You can use the apps and make calls so the phone a friend works while your locating.
6) you can get instant notice on new caches via standard email and launch directly into geocaching app for that much desired FTF

Downside:
1) buy a remote battery as your going to have to charge up every 4 hours. GPS and g3(4) plus the phone and all apps running will chew up the battery. Ebay has remote batterys with mini-usb for $19 and these extend the life to about 12-20hours. The windshield mount also charges so in between sights you can charge (from dead to full is about an hour)
2) your buddys get jealous and will hate you.

If this one dies will I get another - after looking at the google and iphones - Yes this one over them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: