MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very Strange
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Very Strange Reply with quote

Shocked This afternoon I went after a cache Teeny Tiny Ox http://coord.info/GC2J2GT that I saw on the GC.com map. After a 45 minute search I came up empty Evil or Very Mad .

When I arrived home after the pizza event and checked my email I see Lord Sterling published it at 6:30 PM. It looks like I wasted my time looking for a cache that was not ready.

Question Now, how was I able to see this cache BEFORE it was published? Question

I did email Lord Sterling and I am waiting for a reply.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooohhhhhh Yeahhh! Looks like a new way to get the Brute Squad up and running again!!! Wahooo! Razz
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume that the cache was published and then something was brought to the reviewer's attention that caused him to retract publication (such as the cache was not yet actually in place). Once the issue was sorted out, the cache was re-published. That's just one of the risks of trying to be first to find.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was published before that, but the notification was delayed a few hours. The email notifications often stop working temporarily. Yesterday morning they weren't working.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
I would assume that the cache was published and then something was brought to the reviewer's attention that caused him to retract publication (such as the cache was not yet actually in place). Once the issue was sorted out, the cache was re-published. That's just one of the risks of trying to be first to find.

If the cache was published earlier, I would have a email notification for it. The one and ONLY published notification came at 6:30 that night. I did check old emails. As I stated I first saw this cache on the gc.com map, when I was checking the location of another cache near by.

As of this writing I recieved no reply from Lord Sterling. And Who's the Brute Squad?
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing happened with GC2EX60. I saw it on geocaching.com many hours before I got the email notification. Email notifications had stopped working temporarily.
Bad_CRC
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
That's just one of the risks of trying to be first to find.

On a related (but more happy) note, are you looking forward for your first chances for a FTF in a while? Razz
Tropicalloon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also wondering what was going on. Last night I received a notification shortly after 6PM for GC2J37C "Lite Brite" and figured we had a good chance to get FTF on our way to the Pizza Event at Broadway Pizza. Surprised to see there were already two found logs. At 6:24PM, I recv'd notification for another new cache. FTF was shown as 14:35 in the log. How often do notifications stop working?
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all are making a very bad assumption. That is that when a cache is published that it immediately triggers the e-mail notification. GC.com does not state that the e-mail notification is immediate. It states that you can get a notification of newly published caches. It doesn't say that it is immediate.
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
The same thing happened with GC2EX60. I saw it on geocaching.com many hours before I got the email notification. Email notifications had stopped working temporarily.

Ah, that's why I didn't have a find on that from you or SharknoseBunnies right away...
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tropicalloon wrote:
How often do notifications stop working?

I'd say once every couple months...
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad_CRC wrote:

On a related (but more happy) note, are you looking forward for your first chances for a FTF in a while? Razz

Got one last month... in California.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=470d11d4-0b91-4dad-9d2d-9a5d8eadf4a1
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this really a big deal? Why is being FTF is so important? I guess it must be one of those things where if you have to ask you'll never understand. (Kind of like when I'm asked why I like geocaching in the first place, I suppose.)
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that it's such a big deal (although it is really fun for some) but the point being made was that Moe the Sleaze was THE Minnesota reviewer so could never have gone for FTF. He knew where they ALL were and when they would all be published. Now he's not the reviewer so he can go after FTF's just like anyone else!
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
It's not that it's such a big deal (although it is really fun for some) but the point being made was that Moe the Sleaze was THE Minnesota reviewer so could never have gone for FTF. He knew where they ALL were and when they would all be published. Now he's not the reviewer so he can go after FTF's just like anyone else!

He still has access to all that good stuff. What would it take to talk him into going back to clear up that backlog that seems to be growing Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: