MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

opencaching.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I too am very pro competition, anti monopoly. But I do not see myself registering with, hiding opencaches, or logging opencaches.

I have several concerns about opencaching, one being as others have stated the lack of a review process. Also of huge concern to me is the fact it is sponsored by a corporation which has a serious financial interest in our game. These are the people who have brought us Whereigo's and the Chirp, which I understand cater exclusively to Garmin clients. One can only wonder what they would have in mind if they were to some day actually compete with Groundspeak in policing our game.

I feel if I were to register with opencaching it would help Garmin solidify their position in selling banner space on their website by saying we have xxx,xxx number of members, thus legitimizing opencaching and in turn hurting the game of geocaching.

I welcome competition to Groundspeak to make Groundspeak always strive to keep us the customers happy and to keep the game affordable, but I am very hesitant about the competition being opencaching.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the latest software upgrade for my Garmin Oregon 450, and it changed the icon on the geocaching button from the Groundspeak logo to the generic "found cache" treasure box icon. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that is due to opencaching.com.
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried zooming in on the maps? It's like they flew over in an airplane. The clarity is amazing. I posted some of my caches and zoomed in and you can almost see the cache itself Smile
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an article on Businesswire.com about the opencaching site: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20101207005293/en/Geocaching-Free-Garmin%C2%AE-Launches-OpenCaching.com

I get a kick out of the title"Geocaching Free for All". I'm afraid that's what it is going to be.

And POI.COM's forums have a bit to say about it, too: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/31388
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The viability of a website is measured by the number of hits it receives. Those who are concerned about the possible negative ramifications of opencaching would do best to ignore it. If cachers stay away in droves it will eventually dry up or at least be irrelevant.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
The viability of a website is measured by the number of hits it receives. Those who are concerned about the possible negative ramifications of opencaching would do best to ignore it. If cachers stay away in droves it will eventually dry up or at least be irrelevant.

In addition, if we inundate it with hits and with suggestions about how it should work properly, we might also have some good competition to the frog.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
Just ignore it and it will go away? Denial is generally a pretty ineffectual weapon.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
spinowner wrote:
Just ignore it and it will go away? Denial is generally a pretty ineffectual weapon.

Point well taken as applied only to an individual. However, if everyone ignores it it's a different matter.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
spinowner wrote:

In addition, if we inundate it with hits and with suggestions about how it should work properly, we might also have some good competition to the frog.

I think making suggestions to the frog would be just as helpful.
emmanogoldfish
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the very onset I interpreted this as Garmin and Groundspeak were in negotiations for GC.com, the frog wanted way more money than it was worth so Garmin took this route. They will in the end own GC.com.

Competition. it's cyclical isn't it, usually ends up back at a monopoly or at the least collusion dressed as competition?
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without reviewers, I wonder how long it will take for a place to be placed in a park against the rules, found by a park official, and get geocaching kicked out of parks permanently. Again.

Would it be sensible for COs with caches in parks to load theirs into opencaching.com and disable them? Assuming they have a .1 mile limit, that would help discourage new caches from being placed in parks.

It's probably considered abuse (or at least rude), but might help protect geocaching as a park activity until OC.com realizes the need for reviewers and good park relations.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmanogoldfish wrote:
At the very onset I interpreted this as Garmin and Groundspeak were in negotiations for GC.com, the frog wanted way more money than it was worth so Garmin took this route.

Interesting theory but absolutely untrue.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
we might also have some good competition to the frog.

Where is the like button?
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. Is there still another new site?

http://www.opencaching.com/
or
http://www.opencaching.us/
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newest flavor is opencaching dot com. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: