MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

opencaching.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no reviewers, very few guidelines I have to agree with Pear Head and see this becoming very negative to geocaching.
I for one will stay away from the site.

Isnt there already a macro for GSAK for group caching?
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
With no reviewers, very few guidelines I have to agree with Pear Head and see this becoming very negative to geocaching.
I for one will stay away from the site.

Isnt there already a macro for GSAK for group caching?

I believe there is.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
If the new site is smart, they will very quickly come up with a workable solution for group caching. That is something that an awful lot of cachers have been wanting for a long time, but a need that Groundspeak has continually refused to address.

What do you mean by a Group Caching solution?
roylake
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already had an account at Garmin so I signed on. First thing I did was switch my Garmin user name from my email address to my geocaching handle. I did this to reserve my name. I could see someone grabbing someone elseís name to mess with them. I also cross listed 2 of my GC caches to see how it worked. This is the beta version, but Iím not too impressed yet.

Pros: Competition can be good and may keep Groundspeak open to new ideas and changes.

Cons: No reviewer could (will) result in cache placement where they should not be placed and that could result in pissed off land managers who could ban caching in some parks. This would be bad, very bad.

Iíve looked at the Ground Speak forums and have seen a comment like ďThe reviewer for GC would not let me place a cache there, so now Iíll list it on OCĒ. There is probably a good reason that GC would not let them post a cache in the first place.

Iím going to stick with GC.com. I would recommend getting an account on OC to keep someone else from grabbing your GC name.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roylake wrote:
I already had an account at Garmin so I signed on. First thing I did was switch my Garmin user name from my email address to my geocaching handle. I did this to reserve my name. I could see someone grabbing someone elseís name to mess with them. I also cross listed 2 of my GC caches to see how it worked. This is the beta version, but Iím not too impressed yet.

Pros: Competition can be good and may keep Groundspeak open to new ideas and changes.

Cons: No reviewer could (will) result in cache placement where they should not be placed and that could result in pissed off land managers who could ban caching in some parks. This would be bad, very bad.

Iíve looked at the Ground Speak forums and have seen a comment like ďThe reviewer for GC would not let me place a cache there, so now Iíll list it on OCĒ. There is probably a good reason that GC would not let them post a cache in the first place.

Iím going to stick with GC.com. I would recommend getting an account on OC to keep someone else from grabbing your GC name.

I just created a handful of accounts. One was Pearhead. Then there was King Boreas. And another name Sparkyfry. Ok, kidding.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
knowschad wrote:
If the new site is smart, they will very quickly come up with a workable solution for group caching. That is something that an awful lot of cachers have been wanting for a long time, but a need that Groundspeak has continually refused to address.

I'm referring to a (built-in) way to say, "I'm going caching with x, y, an z this weekend. I want a pocket query that gives me caches that none of us have found" (along with other PQ criteria).

Yes, there is a GSAK macro. I've tried to read the instructions and gave up. I don't know anybody personally that has ever used it.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new bflentje account is all set up now. I don't think I'm gonna let him find any caches, though.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
I'm referring to a (built-in) way to say, "I'm going caching with x, y, an z this weekend. I want a pocket query that gives me caches that none of us have found" (along with other PQ criteria).

Yes, there is a GSAK macro. I've tried to read the instructions and gave up. I don't know anybody personally that has ever used it.

Here's how I've done it:

I have a database of all MN caches that I keep current. Make a copy of that database.

Import into that db the "My Finds" query of each of the people you're heading out with. Check the option to set the user flag "only if matched".

Delete your finds from the db.
Delete the caches with the user flag set from the db.

What you have left is the caches that are unfound by any of you.

It's a little more work that what you're looking for but it isn't too much work. I agree though that it would be nice just to be able to specify some names on the website and get a group of caches back in return.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not use GSAK in that way (keeping a full, running database), although I know many that do. I just use it to load and filter my caches for the day or the trip. Groundspeak, of course, has all that information already. But they're too busy giving us souvenirs to provide any useful functionality, I guess.
jerpete
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears they are trying to have it self policed by the user group. Which, judging by the number of cache police on the GC.com forums, should work swimmingly.

I uploaded my one and only cache they appear to simply replace the GC with an OX in the cache number, that makes me wonder if they don't have some sort of deal with GC.com
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed up only to ensure mine and Geckoones name cant be used
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
bflentje wrote:
knowschad wrote:

I'd love a feature like this!
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
knowschad wrote:
bflentje wrote:
knowschad wrote:

I'd love a feature like this!
Believe me... it has been asked for many times... some by yours truly. Instead, we got Waymarking, a semi-useless Friend's page, Souvenirs, and much, much more.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
knowschad wrote:

Here's how I've done it:

I have a database of all MN caches that I keep current. Make a copy of that database.

Import into that db the "My Finds" query of each of the people you're heading out with. Check the option to set the user flag "only if matched".

Delete your finds from the db.
Delete the caches with the user flag set from the db.

What you have left is the caches that are unfound by any of you.

It's a little more work that what you're looking for but it isn't too much work. I agree though that it would be nice just to be able to specify some names on the website and get a group of caches back in return.

How about this gsak macro. Each member of the group provides a .gpx file of there not found caches and it filters to caches not found by any of them.
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just registered to protect our user name. Not sure it is in the best interest of this sport, but we would hate to see a h-k impostor. No reviewers, self policed ??? Recipe for some real dark days in geocaching ??? I really do not know where this will go, but some one really wants to get a piece of the geo-cash...cash $$$ aspect of this hobby Crying or Very sad Sad day? We will take it day by day, maybe we will find a few, as long as they are NOT registered at geocaching dot com, otherwise...whats the point of finding the same cache and post found it on yet another site ? We will see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: