MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Days of the Year Challenge Event
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you planning on attending the event and/or ordering coin(s)?
Planning on attending!
18%
 18%  [ 8 ]
Planning on attending AND ordering coin(s)
70%
 70%  [ 31 ]
Won't be attending but would like to order coin(s)
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 44

BananaForce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on this since last spring just cause I didn't like seeing those empty boxes. I'm glad to hear there is a challenge cache for me when I'm done. I don't have Feb 29, so I hope to be there to celebrate. Sounds great.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it will be at least 11 December 2011 before I finish filling in my grid. I've already cleared a swath of caches between my house and the Rosemount Armory and I wasn't going to stray at all on my way home from Guards today. There is a new El Hanzo cache 1.1 miles from my home coordinates, but I'm done driving for today and in this snow it will be tomorrow by the time I walk over there.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's okay! I hope there are a bunch of us that didn't make it out today! I missed last Saturday too so I have 2 days left so far to do next December.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekkin' managed to get the one cache a mile from home that we'd saved for just such a day. And he said it was a stupid mistake to try it, given the conditions. This was in the early stages of the storm. Down to four days, the last being 10/1.

The reason we had so many December holes is coming back to us now.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I got lucky and already had that day. But I've got a big hole this coming week. And like T&B it is coming back to my why there is a big hole there!
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we love winter caching so I'm surprised at the fact that Dec and Jan are the ones with the most holes....but this business with bitter cold probably explains it, huh?
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky I had yesterday but had to venture out and get one today...it was awfully cold.

15T I'm surprised you didn't camp out at the armory Sat night - I did it just wasnt worth trying to get home.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ventured out on Saturday, but the road we needed to take was lower than the highway, and therefore full of that white stuff. We did make it out yesterday though, so I only have one day I need to cache next December.
Oh, and thanks to Jrest for hiding a bunch of new caches out in my neck of the woods, I was running out of things to find this winter!
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
15T I'm surprised you didn't camp out at the armory Sat night - I did it just wasnt worth trying to get home.

I thought of staying overnight at the armory, but as it was, the wife didn't want me to go to drill in the first place, and she was already stressed out enough with me gone. I kept telling her that in my 24 years in the guard, I have yet to see a drill canceled due to weather.

I was still able to make it home before dark (don't let the tax paying public know they cut us loose a little early due to the weather!), even if I was stuck behind someone driving 15 mph in the only drivable lane on 35E, all the way from Pilot Knob to my exit at Randolph - there's cautious, and there's over-cautious - you'd think they'd get a clue when there's 2 miles of open road in front of them and 50 cars stacked up behind them.

Last edited by 15Tango on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
there's cautious, and there's over-cautious - you'd think they'd get a clue when there's 2 miles of open road in from of them and 50 cars stacked up behind them.

I see this all the time in the summer, sun's shining, not a drop of moisture anywhere, not a clue in the world. Throw in the left lane too boot.

But that's another thread.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Red... PS, should be plenty of tracks to follow to those. Some friendly cachers scored a pile of FTF's in the dark, up to thier waists in snow last night... Was fun to read thier logs!!!
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrest wrote:
No problem Red... PS, should be plenty of tracks to follow to those. Some friendly cachers scored a pile of FTF's in the dark, up to thier waists in snow last night... Was fun to read thier logs!!!

I saw that. I am going to leave those for weekends, when I need to fill in one of the dates on my grid.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he he even with the snow a coming down in Shakopee today I still managed to check this block on the way home today....thank goodness for an early release from work Very Happy
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a different reason for holes in December and January find calendar. No caches hidden within 100 miles from my coordiantes-2 weeks running. Infact I live very close to North Dakota border and there are NO new caches for this month for the whole state!!!!

Oh yeah we get snow up here too so at least I'm not tempted to go out in the weather to hunt-so guess my calendar is just going to stay holey. Laughing
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

former hawkeye wrote:
I have a different reason for holes in December and January find calendar. No caches hidden within 100 miles from my coordiantes-2 weeks running. Infact I live very close to North Dakota border and there are NO new caches for this month for the whole state!!!!

Oh yeah we get snow up here too so at least I'm not tempted to go out in the weather to hunt-so guess my calendar is just going to stay holey. Laughing

actually there are a bunch of caches around 50 miles away from the f/m area, look for the PHST caches just a few miles north east of detroit lakes. 16 winter friendly caches all accessible from one parking area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: