MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Traveling out of USA suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Traveling out of USA suggestions Reply with quote

I may be traveling to Europe in the spring. I am looking for suggestions how to make caching easiest there. Is it best to load pocket queries ahead of time? How do you limit the caches when you aren't sure where you will have time to search out a cache. My GPSr hold 10,000 caches but that isn't so much when you aren't sure where all you might be. What maps work best yet are economical or is it best not to be economical with the maps? I doubt I'll have much time for caching but hope to grab a few. I'm not sure when I will have those opportunities. I may remember wrong but it seems to me the last time I went to Austria I could fit all the caches of Austria on my GPSr that only held 500 caches. That GPSr would not even hold the caches of a larger city now.

AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been creating PQ's of areas I have been staying, and routes I am most likely will be taking. I filter them out as to cut down the numbers of caches I probably wouldn't seek anyway.

How many PQ's you run or load may also depend upon what you think you may be having for internet access while there. In my recent travels I pretty much know the areas I'll be, and have little time outside of work to be reloading, so I've just been pre-loading them into the gps and go with that. My fallback is having the laptop available in case I do want to create a new PQ and have the time and WiFi available to do so.

If you don't know the areas you will be in, that makes it tougher for sure. Maybe go with what is most likely area to be in and maybe create PQ's for those areas?

BTW, what general area are you going to?
Rebelex
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Europe I increased my data plan and used C:geo to locate caches when and where I was interested.
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least one of the locations is where AerosmithPA has been according to his furthest east and furthest north stats. I'll be in Norway a week and in Finland a week. My daughter and travel partner is telling me that our luggage will be a backpack for each of us. No laptops. I'll have to get by with my tablet. Upping the data plan for the month might be something to check into. Without the computer I'll need to have everything loaded beforehand or manually load the coordinates. We will have lists compiled of places we want to go to, but we will be mostly traveling with an itinerary that will not be set in granite. In reality, it will be set in wet clay. I'm hoping I can get a cache or two in Sweden, too. I have c:geo but with the tablet guiding me to GZ it tends to be loosey-goosey; best used with a thorough hint. It is something I have considered. I can't update to the newest c:geo if that would be a benefit because it won't work on my aging tablet.

Copaman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got to Budapest last summer, I didn't yet have a data plan for my phone, but luckily enough in the city, there were enough free wifi hotspots that I could connect up, download cache data and Google map tiles and find nearby caches.

It probably won't work in the countryside, but you can probably cache via wifi in urban areas. I found my first few caches in Hungary just going from hotspot to hotspot until I could get a Hungarian data plan for my phone.

Once you have the cache and map data, you can go away from the hotspot and that stuff will stay resident on your device. It's not the most accurate but it works.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we have traveled we usually have a pre-researched list of which caches we are going to target saved before we leave the house.
Usually the three methods we use to determine a list:
1. pull up the map on the website and look for any virtuals or earthcaches in the area figuring those would be likely places we would want to stop
2. put the hotel address in and search around there
3. do a wide area search and order by favorite points looking for any interesting caches/locations.

Between those three methods we narrow the list down and have those all preloaded. We will also print out any cache requiring questions to be answered so we have somewhere to write those down.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gc.com app allows you to download PQs right to the app, doesn't it?

I've only tried it once or twice, a long time ago, so I don't have the experience with it...
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
The gc.com app allows you to download PQs right to the app, doesn't it?

I've only tried it once or twice, a long time ago, so I don't have the experience with it...

So does c:geo.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GC app does allow you to download so you can do offline searching. I haven't really toyed with it enough to know more than that, however.
foundinthewild
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the free maps for Garmin from garmin.openstreetmap.nl on an Oregon. For database, I use the api in gsak and download several rectangular areas creating a large database. Then, I filter within 10km or so of the hotel in each major city and load with a macro to the garmin. In addition, I load POI's (another gsak macro) in case I am in an unplanned area. The gsak data for these caches are stored in GDAK, an app in my Android phone. The data ages a bit, disabled and archives, but is generally ok. Not having WAAS satellites reducing accuracy is challenging so the DNF rate goes up. I also miss any spoiler pics unless the Wi-Fi is active. Lots of free Wi-Fi places around except Hilton because they have some crazy 13euro a day charge agreement with a telecom company (must have seemed like a good idea at the time). Caching in other countries is a blast.
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Those are some good ideas. Something to look into more on a winter, stormy day. GDAK quit working on my Android for some reason. Could be it is too old. C:geo still works but I can't update it.

Sky King 36
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of thoughts...

1. I might look at tools like maps.me or citymaps2go. They allow you to download maps to your device(s) while you're home, so that if you're out of coverage you still have maps. Can make a huge difference when traveling outside your home country. They won't have geocaches on them, but they can still be a life saver.

2. Turning international service onto your US domestic cell plan can be expensive compared to the alternatives. And, mistakes can be made. On my last trip to Europe I thought I had everything like app updates and backups turned off... turned out my daughter's iPhone was still backing up her photos to iCloud and the bandwidth charges were blistering, even after turning international roaming on. What I do now is either rent a portable battery wifi hotspot in-country, like from a rental car place. In Italy, they were $5 a day unlimited, and we pounded the heck out of it every day. Second, if you have an unlocked phone (carriers will usually unlock if you show them a plane ticket to verify your trip) you can buy/rent data SIMs in-country and save a ton of cash. Either of these could easily save you 200-300 bucks even compared to buying international buckets from your domestic carrier.

3. Definitely preload PQs into a device if you can. Even if local network access is plan A, it's great to have a "plan B" just in case.

4. I paid the $69 to get European maps for my car Nuvi and brought it with me. I already use GSAK to load caches into my Nuvi here in MN, so it was easy to run PQs from the cities I was visiting and load them in too, so even if I didn't have network, I still had info on caches that was just a few days old. And driving around with my own familiar Nuvi was way, way easier than using a car rental unit.

5. remember that pre-loading here has another side benefit... Some of my trips have been very short, and I don't want to spend even 15 minutes heads-down in front of a computer monkeying around with PQs when that 15 minutes is a meaningful percentage of my time remaining in-country. Preparation at home equates directly to better use of time abroad.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On both of our European trips, Switzerland and Moscow we didn't rely on any cellular at all. Honestly it was kind of nice to go back to the "stone age" of not having a phone bark at you every 20 seconds about something.

When we went to Moscow we picked up a little netbook that was super lightweight. We also loaded it with movies to entertain ourselves. That trip was a little easier because we could pretty much load all of Russia before we even left home. The netbok was nice to have with Wifi we could just log onto the main site and just double check that nothing had been archived or temp. disabled since we loaded them. We also had a cable with that we could load any new ones individually if need be.

I had picked up Garmin's City Navigator for specifically Moscow, it was a MicroSD card that was like 20 bucks. Best 20 bucks I spent to actually know where we were when we got off the subway. You just have to be careful not to do anything to that SD card or you are out of luck with that map.

If you do a lot of "realistic" filtering beforehand in terms of "we don't want to solve puzzles, or do 5/5 caches," or whatever your criteria are I would think you should be able to run PQ's and pre-load them before your trip. Research Wifi more than anything else. Our hotel in Moscow wanted the equivalent of 40 bucks a day for wifi. McDonalds gave it to you for free. Guess where we would stop with our netbook to check email and log caches? It wasn't our hotel lobby...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: