MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interest over time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Interest over time Reply with quote

Peaked in 2011.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=geocaching#q=geocaching&cmpt=q&geo=US

RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 2011, the gas price went up and the quality of new caches went down. Gas prices are dropping, but I don't think the quality of new caches will go up much due to lack of real estate. Can you imagine the fun we'd have, both hiding and finding, if we all archived 50% of our caches on the same day? There's nothing wrong with a little spring cleaning. Plus, we'd be giving the newbies a chance to show us what they've got.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
Can you imagine the fun we'd have, both hiding and finding, if we all archived 50% of our caches on the same day? There's nothing wrong with a little spring cleaning. Plus, we'd be giving the newbies a chance to show us what they've got.

Ah, no. Not for me.
I Spy.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
Since 2011, the gas price went up and the quality of new caches went down. Gas prices are dropping, but I don't think the quality of new caches will go up much due to lack of real estate. Can you imagine the fun we'd have, both hiding and finding, if we all archived 50% of our caches on the same day? There's nothing wrong with a little spring cleaning. Plus, we'd be giving the newbies a chance to show us what they've got.

Depends on which caches...I think there are a more than a few that could stand to be archived!
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Spy. wrote:
Depends on which caches...I think there are a more than a few that could stand to be archived!

41% ? Shocked

http://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=geocaching#geo=US-MN&q=geocaching&cmpt=q
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
Can you imagine the fun we'd have, both hiding and finding, if we all archived 50% of our caches on the same day? There's nothing wrong with a little spring cleaning. Plus, we'd be giving the newbies a chance to show us what they've got.

I've seen a few newbie caches that are well done and creative, but the most of them didn't take much thought and creativity.
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:

3.6. I Found a Geocache that Needs to be Archived

Please use this log only, if:

You have found a geocache that was placed illegally on private property, without permission, and/or the property owners or law enforcement expressed concerns to you during your search.
You have found a geocache where aggressive searching activity is causing damage to the surrounding area or the cache placement damages or defaces property.

A geocache already has MANY DNFs, Needs Maintenance logs (with no cache owner response), and is without a genuine find for a very long time.......Add on???????? And or "DECLINING INTEREST"
by active geocachers.

There's nothing wrong with a little spring cleaning Smile
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beagleboo wrote:

41% ? Shocked

46%. Yes, I believe 46% is the number and you throw in a puzzle (or a line chart). Pie charts are good too. Who doesn't like pie. I don't really know if cows like pie however, so if that becomes an issue we're back to square one.
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
46%.

ATTN: Pie Eating Cows,

Due to the current "declining interest" type caches creating a "lack of real estate". The future placement of a cow pie or new cache may become more diificult? Wink
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some mornings I wonder if I'm losing my mind. Then I come here and I realize - I'm good! Thanks for this morning's smile!
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beagleboo wrote:

3.6. I Found a Geocache that Needs to be Archived

Please use this log only, if:

You have found a geocache that was placed illegally on private property, without permission, and/or the property owners or law enforcement expressed concerns to you during your search.
You have found a geocache where aggressive searching activity is causing damage to the surrounding area or the cache placement damages or defaces property.

A geocache already has MANY DNFs, Needs Maintenance logs (with no cache owner response), and is without a genuine find for a very long time.

Getting a bit off-topic here, but I have been told by a reviewer that I should NOT write a Needs Archived log for a cache placed on private property that has no evidence of permission for placement stated on the cache page. Even though such a cache is clearly in violation of the guidelines for placement there could have been communication between the reviewer and the cache owner that I am not aware of, and therefore it's none of my business.
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Spy. wrote:

The proof of interest in a cache is in the found it logs, or lack thereof!

I agree. Here in the T.C. & metro areas, "its much more than a few" could stand to be archived.

RudeRat's guesstimate of 46% may be a reality? Laughing
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beagleboo wrote:
RudeRat's guesstimate of 46% may be a reality? Laughing

Taking the factorial sum of coordinate representational points in consideration of the density mean of geocachers to calculate the their saturation geometric spatial composition and comparing that to the Anderson-Adams psychological enhancement predictions found in even a basic copy of Scientific America can hardly be considered a “guesstimate”. Science is real and math doesn’t lie. 46% may be shocking to some, but I’m pretty sure is the answer.

Feel free to double check my calculations:

beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
Feel free to double check my calculations:

Thank you so much for providing accurate, time consuming, illustrative and visual caclulations image.

I was just working on a gut feelin "lack of real estate" geomap image of the T.C. and metro. Laughing

dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we'd all have to look at ourselves then as hiders . . . I've only archived one hide due to lack of interest / visitors. Most of them I archived during the Eden Prairie Caching Crisis of 2007 at the city's request and I never really got back into hiding. It was definitely more fun to hide back in 2005 when there were so many cool spots to choose from. I did do a hide last year as a Master Naturalist project and had all kinds of frustration trying to make it work in a certain park due to the cache density, including several puzzle finals. I finally begged mikedeotis to archive one of his so I could complete the project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: