MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

48 states plus DC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: 48 states plus DC Reply with quote

There is an article on yahoo about the fastest way to visit a landmark in the lower 48 states plus DC. https://www.yahoo.com/travel/life-is-a-speedway-the-fastest-way-to-hit-the-113790139592.html

The article says it can be done in 10 days.

So of course the question that came to my mind was what is the shortest route to hit all 48 states plus DC just to get a geocache in each state.

Using google maps I came up with this route that more or less stays on interstates and hits all 48 states:
Minneapolis, MN
Souix Falls, SD
Fargo, ND
Seattle, WA
Los Angeles, CA
Salt Lake City, UT
Cheyenne, WY
Albuquerque, NM
Oklahoma City, OK
Omaha, NE
St Louis, MO
New Orleans, LA (requires quick side trip into Kentucky)
Jacksonville, FL
Beckley, WV
Washington DC
Portland, ME
Burlington, VT
Buffalo, NY
Cleveland, OH
Lansing, MI
Chicago, IL
Minneapolis, MN

Google maps says it can be driven in 154 hours. That means it is theoretically possible to get a geocache in the lower 48 plus DC in under a week (all the caveats of driving 154 hours in a 168 hour span apply).
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite the same, but a couple of guys in my hometown decided to ride their motorcycles to the 4 corners of the country a couple years ago. MN to Maine to Key West to San Diego it Seattle and home. 10000 miles in 10 days. No real stops along the way other than gas, food, and sleep.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got curious and tried this a different way - how many miles is between the most favorited cache in each state.

I started and ended in Woodbury at the Sword in the Stone and worked from there.
The Corps of Discovery is currently #1 in Virginia so I used the #2 there (even though it is currently unavailable). Utah also has a traveling cache in the #1 spot but it stays local so I did use that one.

Not sure I took the best path but it seemed pretty reasonable.
I was a bit surprised the most favorited cache in New York is not in New York City. Michigan also surprised me by having its most favorited cache at the OH/IN/MI border point. The number 1 in WV is at a rest stop and I am think I am going the wrong way to get off so that would need some U turns. The race in New Hampshire for #1 is really close but so are the two caches so it doesn't really make a difference.

Anyway, the distance I came up with is just under 12800 miles or roughly 208 hours to drive according to Google maps. So roughly a 4 week road trip with 8 hours a day driving. The #1 in FL seems like it would require additional time (virtual in Disneyworld).

For those that care - this is the order I used:
MN, ND, SD, MT, WY, UT, ID, WA, OR, CA, NV, AZ, NM, CO, KS, NE, IA, MO, KY, TN, AR, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL, SC, NC, VA, WV, MD, DC, DE, PA, NJ, CT, RI, MA, ME, NH, VT, NY, OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, MN
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
I was a bit surprised the most favorited cache in New York is not in New York City. Michigan also surprised me by having its most favorited cache at the OH/IN/MI border point

I am not surprised by this at all. Generally, the highest favorited cache in a state usually has nothing to do with the hide itself but with either amount of traffic or some other thing like being oldest..
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think about a third of the states have their oldest as the most favorited.

The other real common most favorited was a virtual/earth at a tourist location.

The #1 in West Virginia caught my eye as a unique one.
Ramsey63
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmittfamily said that the West Virginia #1 favorite caught their eye. When going through WV a couple of years ago, we stopped at a rest area and made our first WV find. It turned out to be this cache. My wife and I really enjoyed this well done rest area cache.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: