MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MN cache reviewing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The topic of disabling caches for winter is going on in multiple places.

Because of limitations of the forum software I can't combine the conversations into one thread, so I've split the conversation from THIS thread here:

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5769

and locked it.

The conversation continues here:

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5765
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
Wondering if this would be useful to move as an article in the tech articles. That way you can maintain the full list and users don't have to scan through pages (eventually) of posts and comments to see the full list of review observations?

I'm editing the original forum post on page 1 as I add to it, but include the edits as a new post to raise attention to the fact that the additions were made.

Thanks for the suggestion - I may end up doing that yet.
MN.Fruitcake
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Fire hydrants Reply with quote

An issue I ran into a couple of times now, and wanted to clarify here (and if it turns into a discussion hopefully the mods can break it out into it's own thread): fire hydrant caches.

In a LOT of communities it's illegal to tamper with a hydrant. In the interest of keeping cachers out of jail, I'm not knowingly publishing hydrant caches. Keep in mind that if a nano is stuck on a hydrant, the seeker may go to such lengths as disassembly of certain parts of the hydrant to find the cache (especially newbies).

I know there are hydrant caches out there that are already published - I'm not actively seeking to disable those caches, but will instead deal with problems as I hear of them.
MN.Fruitcake
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the holidays I'll be away from reviewing for Thursday as well this week and next (Dec 23 and 30), meaning I'll be away Thursday through Saturday. Caches submitted during that time will likely be reviewed on Sunday afternoon.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year all!
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MN.Fruitcake wrote:
Due to the holidays I'll be away from reviewing for Thursday as well this week and next (Dec 23 and 30), meaning I'll be away Thursday through Saturday. Caches submitted during that time will likely be reviewed on Sunday afternoon.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year all!

Have a great Xmas and enjoy your Fruitcake!
MN.Fruitcake
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been asked a few times about the process of 'pre-approving' a location.

Say, for example, that you're working on a puzzle cache that requires a fair amount of work to encode the coordinates, so you'd rather not have to move the cache if you find out that the location doesn't work out for one reason or another when submitted.

I can let you know before placement that a location is acceptable or not. To do this, create the cache page as you normally would (don't worry about the description at this point, just the coordinates). Don't enable the cache page. Send me an email through my profile on geocaching.com with a link to the cache page you just created (preferred) or the GC code to the page (if you really don't know how to send me the link).

I'll examine the page and post a reviewer note on the page with the result.

You'll want to get the cache placed in the relatively near future, and I'll really ask that you only go through this process if moving the cache because of the spot being unavailable is a real pain (that is a much bigger pain than what a normal cache would entail). Going through this process is honestly a bit of extra work for me (which I don't mind doing if necessary), but please don't abuse it.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MN.Fruitcake wrote:
I've been asked a few times about the process of 'pre-approving' a location.

You'll want to get the cache placed in the relatively near future, and I'll really ask that you only go through this process if moving the cache because of the spot being unavailable is a real pain (that is a much bigger pain than what a normal cache would entail). Going through this process is honestly a bit of extra work for me (which I don't mind doing if necessary), but please don't abuse it.

As the benefactor of this when placing a cache that entailed making a custom built camo to fit a specific location, I truly appreciate the extra effort.

As always, thanks for your time and dedication.
MN.Fruitcake
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of items:

1. The guidelines have been modified slightly. This update wasn't really a significant content update that I'm aware of, merely a format change and clarification in a couple of areas that used to be a little more hazy (commercial content for example).

2. I added this paragraph to my first post in this thread:

Quote:
5b. If your cache is a puzzle cache then I may need to know some more information about it. If it's clear to me from the cache page that it is solvable from the cache page and that the answer is merely a set of numbers then you're probably ok. If your cache page contains some encrypted text, or I can't tell the method of solving it (and what the solution will yield) then I'll likely ask you for some more information regarding it - providing that information (such as any unencrypted text) up front will save us both some time.

I was recently made aware that I should probably be asking for more information about puzzles. I'm looking primarily for two things when asking for more information:

That the puzzle is solvable from the information presented on the cache page (ie. you don't have to have some 'inside' knowledge to get the answer).

Also that the answer isn't a guideline issue in itself (something like 'Go to the bar on 10th and Main and ask the bartender for the box' wouldn't fly).
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
# It contains the logo of a business or organization, including non-profit organizations.

So does this mean we can no longer put the MnGCA logo on our cache pages?
MN.Fruitcake
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
Quote:
# It contains the logo of a business or organization, including non-profit organizations.

So does this mean we can no longer put the MnGCA logo on our cache pages?

I believe non-profit geocaching organizations are exempt from that requirement.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The name of a business or commercial product is on the cache page.

Quote:
Event Cache
Occasionally, local geocachers and geocaching organizations designate a time and location to meet and discuss geocaching. After the event the caches are archived.

Does location mean coordinates, or can I still have Events at "Joe's Playhouse" (or whatever) ??
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know that a cache listing with "Cannon Falls Bike and Canoe Rental" is bad. But how about referring to "the rental shop in town"?
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
We all know that a cache listing with "Cannon Falls Bike and Canoe Rental" is bad. But how about referring to "the rental shop in town"?

For a minute there, I thought you said "Cannon Falls Bike and Casket Rental" Shocked
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
bflentje wrote:

For a minute there, I thought you said "Cannon Falls Bike and Casket Rental" Shocked

No. My post was dead serious.. oops, no pun intended.
MN.Fruitcake
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Quote:
The name of a business or commercial product is on the cache page.

Quote:
Event Cache
Occasionally, local geocachers and geocaching organizations designate a time and location to meet and discuss geocaching. After the event the caches are archived.

Does location mean coordinates, or can I still have Events at "Joe's Playhouse" (or whatever) ??

I don't believe anything has changed in this regard - what was discussed in the commercial thread should still be accurate for events.

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5679&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: