MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rochester Area

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daped01
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Rochester Area Reply with quote

Hey all, Heading from the northern border to Rochester for some mayo clinic visits. is there any Must See caches in the general rochester area? We are staying at whitewater and will no doubt find the wildflower card. but just curious if there there is any near the clinic that you could consider "must finds"? I'll be there with my 8 year old son, so if they appeal to him more than me that would be preferable.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Worrell's Cottage (GC1GT61) is the obvious one to do on a Mayo visit.
There is a virtual at Soldiers field that is worth a visit (GCGXRF). If you like baseball, GCN0Z2 is one to visit. If you just like hiking, Quarry Hill Park is good place to visit. One of my daughters all time favorites is GC2ZFK6 but be aware of what youare getting into on that one and come prepared.
XHawk
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your way down, go through Pine Island and visit "Film Container" (GC12M4W). It is a png, and you can connect to Hwy 52 again easily.
Daped01
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checked in at Mayo, will be looking for William Worrell's Cottage before we leave. looked like a few DNF's before I got here, but alas, one find since then, so i hope we can find it with all the muggles!

We stayed in Whitewater state park and I awoke early this AM to attempt to find the Wildflower cache there. Was able to find stages 1 and 2. mistakenly thought stage 3 should be where the cache is, but with absolutely no cell signal in the park i could not access the app to check the number of stages (rookie mistake, should have checked it out before we got there)

ran out of time before we had to get into Roch. but loved the park nonetheless!

Thank you for the suggestion on Film Container! we would love a PNG on our way back north!
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few caches within walking distance of the Clinic. The are tourist friendly. If you can swing by the Kasson/Mantorville area, there are a bunch of caches by jaklimber that have a lot of favorite points. I would also recommend Pill Hill next to Saint Marys Hospital. It is the oldest cache in Rochester.

In regards to the state park cache, I believe there are six or seven stages.
Daped01
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got disappointed at William Worral outside Mayo. looked all over but couldn't find it. Used the hint the best I could, but none of what I related the hint to mean showed the cache for me. Have to be back in 3 months, I'll try again!

Did find "Film container" on our way home though. Loved it very much as did the 8 year old geokid! Unfortunately the "pencil" did not work, we were still able to sign the log!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Southern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: