MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery Recycling
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though alkaline batteries can be purchased cheaply, I still feel like I'm winning a tiny lottery every time I put in my newly charged NiMH Energizers.

Just from experience with using a gps, I know I will save $$ in the long run by using rechargeables vs. alkalines.

--EDIT--

I forgot that the post was Battery Recycling.

I always save my alkalines that I use for other devices in a ziploc bag and make a trip to the hazardous waste place about once a year. I usually have some other stuff to dispose of as well.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving an old thread!

I've made a Battery Recycler geocache and I'm going to place it today in Minneapolis. My recycling program here now accepts household batteries, so I will be collecting them from the cache now and then and putting them with my recycling items.

I'll post when it's approved (GCMGJR). It is 1.5 terrain and 1 difficulty.

-Aaron
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent idea s4xton. I'm betting that's one cache that will receive multiple visits
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to post when it got approved.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=dbe77295-6f68-4fc0-8f00-8cd917aec890

Only Good-Boy has found it, and he didn't recycle any batteries! I'm hoping to get a bunch to recycle on Feb 10, as I'll be recycling them on Feb 11.

As Sui Generis and others have done, if you see me at a cache or at an event, you may personally hand your used/dead batteries to me and I will recycle them. Of course, you can't count that as a find on the cache though. Wink

Cheers,
-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I haven't yet visited s4xton's recycling cache I have given him my wasted batteries to be recycled.

It's for a great cause!
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cub Foods store where I usually shop has a drop box for batteries to be recycled. I think it's a common practice at large supermarkets. The important thing is to keep batteries out of landfills, so this cache is a good way to go if you have no other way of recycling them.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
The Cub Foods store where I usually shop has a drop box for batteries to be recycled. I think it's a common practice at large supermarkets. The important thing is to keep batteries out of landfills, so this cache is a good way to go if you have no other way of recycling them.

Hmm, I'll have to take a look the next time I'm at Cub. Thanks for that info spinowner. I probably see s4xton more than I go to Cub though Wink Lucky for me that most of my batteries remain in my car after changing them out of the camera/GPS Wink
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course, you can't count that as a find on the cache though.

HEH
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last pickup:

Thanks to everyone that's helping to make this work!

-Aaron
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: batteries Reply with quote

I carry a 12V UPS battery in a shoulder bag with my toys, a log notebook, an external antenna, etc. I connect to it with a cigarette lighter jack. I but the batteries in bulk for little to nothiing (<$7.00). they last a really long time, can be charged for about five years and recycle at lots of places.

I have a bunch of used ones that still work fine for this that I can cache somewhere does anyone want one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: