MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bug question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: bug question Reply with quote

is it just me, or do people go out of their way to grab a travel bug?
it seems as though when there's a note posted about a travel bug being added or left in a cache, somebody has to go get it immediately.
while i'm sure i'd enjoy securing a travel bug, i doubt i ever will, as people practically race to get 'em.
and is it my imagination or have i seen people go out of their way to revisit a cache just to swap or secure a bug? Question
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few people in this area that do race to grab a bug right away. But, I have noticed that they only race to get to a bug they haven't had yet. They grab it and log it, and place it into another cache in the area, where it's fair game for anyone else to grab. I have also noticed that they'll grab bugs from other areas when they travel, and place them in circulation here, thus adding more bugs to find in the local area. So it's just a matter of patience to wait for a bug to show up in a nearby cache that has already been claimed by our local bug mavens. The purpose of a travel bug is to travel, so I don't see anything wrong with going back to a cache to get a bug, as long as you put it back out in circulation as soon as possible.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks love the hunt of a new cache, some like the bugs. We even have a world leader in placing caches. It takes all kinds to make this sport so much fun.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Plenty of bugs to be found Reply with quote

Lots of bugs out there right now just waiting for you--- go get one...... or two
These are all current as of 10am today.
There are even more out there if you look outside the immediate metro and are willing to travel a bit.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=14685 there since 1/7
http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=15749 there since 1/7
http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=17506 there since 1/4
http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=14758 there since 1/11
http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=15602 there since 1/3
http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=8734 there since 12/18
http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=19391 there since 1/8
http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=11260 there since 12/14
http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=16487 there since 1/5
http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=15066 there since 12/31
http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=1912 there since 12/26

I have been skunked PLENTY on bugs - trust me! Confused That is all part of the game and the competition of the hunt. It is all in good fun and we are all still friends afterward.
Like Tango said -- some like to hide them Cool, some like to find them Surprised, some are bug hunters Wink
-- some like the numbers Laughing, and some don't care about the numbers Rolling Eyes
-- something for everyone in this hobby. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ck
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardware brings up a good point and I'm glad to see it. In my opinion (being an outstate-er!) I've seen bugs sit for a month and I've seen 'em disappear in hours, it's all part of the game.

Currently, there's one in Blue Earth that's been there for two months. Le Sueur has two, and I doubt they'll move unless I give them a hand shortly.

Calisota and I also placed a few in St. Paul in the Crosby Farm/Highland area and I would bet that's still a good place to nab a bug.

It just takes time to nab a bug!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be going to Mankato sometime in the next two weeks, and I'm hoping those LeSueur bigs are still there.

I'm probably going to Crosby on Friday.
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: my bug philosophy Reply with quote

i have yet to find a travel bug, but i haven't hit that many caches since getting my GPS late last september. (keep in mind, i look forward to finding one, and may some day plan a cache hunt in anticipation of finding one, but it's not a priority.)

if i find a bug in the future i will take it, record it and return it to another cache. i will not, however, note that i'm placing a bug in the new cache when i fill out the online log. rather than have some bug chaser race to a cache for the thrill of logging it and swapping it with another bug in a cache they've already visited, i'm going to leave it for the unsuspecting soul who happens along the cache after i visit.

does anybody else drop bugs in caches without reporting them?
Farmerted
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have considered placing bug without logging them but only those that I own. You move a bug without a log the owner might not like that.
I do like the idea of rewarding cache seekers with a suprise.
Maybe you could email the owner and ask them if they didn't mind you moving it without a log. I wouldn't mind if you did it with mine as long as I know where you put my bug.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: my bug philosophy Reply with quote

hardware wrote:

The whole point to travel bugs is that their movements get logged and tracked. If you grab a bug and move it, please play by the rules.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

FYI: I want mine logged, and logged as soon as possible.
EelSid
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing worse than a lost bug. I mean we pay for them and even though its only $6 it still ticks me off when some irresponsible moron plunders a cache with a bug in it and the bug is gone. Or worse the cachers that don't read the directions on the website and therefore have no clue how to log a travel bug properly! I don't care if you're a newbie read the directions and learn like the rest of us did. Check out the logs here ath the travel bug graveyard.
jonsom
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a new TB tag in one of Farmer Ted's caches, and I was thinking, should I take it, or should I leave it. I ended up leaving it and e-mailing him that there was a new TB tag in the cache, just incase he did not know.
Farmerted
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do put new tags in my caches for first finders I will post that on the cache page on my future hides
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: perhaps i'm missing something Reply with quote

not having found a bug, i certainly have no experience with logging them and dropping them off elsewhere.

i would assume that if i go to "cache A" and find a bug, i would log it through the geocaching.com web site, based on it's ID number, and tell where i found it. so, am i required to register where i drop it off? that seems redundant. it would seem that the only obligation should be to record it when you find it. that may not be what the travel bug rules say, but again, i don't know, i have yet to pick up a bug.

are you required to record which cache you place it in with a user note on the cache page? if i create "cache B" and decide to revisit it and leave the travel bug i found in "cache A," i would rather not tell people, "hey, run back to my cache and swap your bug with this one, so i can pick yours up and record it in the system, then go swap it with 'bug bunny' in 'cache C.'" i'd rather an unsuspecting rock johnson finds it in his weekly cache hunt.

i guess i'm just puzzled about the rules of travel bugs. does geocaching.com want bug chasers? if their rules require me to record where i leave bugs and post notes on cache pages alerting bug chasers that a bug is now there, then yes, they do.

i'm not going to lose sleep about the bug chasing phenomenon, i just don't want to be a part of its breeding, so long as i'm not committing a travel bug felony by my actions.

Last edited by hardware on Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingboreas wrote:
FYI: I want mine logged, and logged as soon as possible.

so regardless of whether or not i'm required to post where i drop off a bug, what is my obligation, if any, to drop one off. let's say i hit one cache tonight, after work, and find a bug. i take it home, record it, then my mother dies. after her funeral i spend the next several weeks dispersing her belongings, with little time for recreational activities like geocaching. am i committing a travel bug felony?

that's an extreme case, so let's use a more practical one. i find a travel bug tonight. i log it. now it's time to drop it off somewhere. i know i'm going to milwaukee the weekend of May 2. am i guilty of a travel bug felony by holding onto it for a month-and-a-half?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: