MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minnesota Vikings Coin Request

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Minnesota Vikings Coin Request Reply with quote

We received the following email from a cacher in CT. Since I wasn't aware of one off the top of my head, I figured I'd throw this out here to see if anyone knows. If you do know feel free to post here and contact her through her GC profile.

Thanks!

Quote:

HI There,

In looking thru the caches and coins, I am hopeful you may be able to point me in the right direction. I live in Connecticut and am looking to purchase a Minnesota Viking (football team) coin. Have just spent 1/2 hour looking on EBay, various "coin" companies, etc. with no luck. As you appear to be the gurus for Minnesota, any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
Baby Butterfly

User's Profile:
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=ecd08c4d-2ef3-4ec2-9979-17c22be9dc53

NOSNOW
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think one has been made, as that would be a copyright image. Not to say everyone follows copyright laws, but I think the NFL take them very seriously. Buying the rights to it to produce a coin, make the coin unaffordable. I know of one person did for a college team, and she lost a lot on the coin.

I know that tsunrisebey has just produced a MN Vikes version of her Neptunes Compass.

zelanzy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne and Eli, of "As Designed", also has a cat coin in vikings colors. She will be at geocoinfest as well.

As mentioned there are licensing issues if you use a trademarked logo. And to maintain a trademark you actually have to litigate offenders. Not that I've ever heard of anyone going after geocoin manufacturers...but I COULD happen heh. For example, there are tons of disney infringements in the geocoin world.
NOSNOW
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been several examples of company going after trademark on geocoins.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any geocoins that have been made with the MN Vikings (NFL Football Team) logo. At least none that appear to be trackable.

There are plenty of MN Viking Challenge Coins and Poker Chips out there for sale that can be turned into a travel bug, I'm sure.

Just a couple of web sites I'm aware of:

http://www.vikingsfootballdeals.com/fan/minnesota-vikings-poker

http://www.straussandassociatesinc.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15
wildfoto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: pathtag? Reply with quote

I don't know if this qualifies, but I created a Minnesota Vikings pathtag: http://flic.kr/p/8KtwHg
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: pathtag? Reply with quote

wildfoto wrote:
I don't know if this qualifies, but I created a Minnesota Vikings pathtag: http://flic.kr/p/8KtwHg

Very nice. I really like your comment to the NFL on the flikr page too. Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: pathtag? Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
wildfoto wrote:

Very nice. I really like your comment to the NFL on the flikr page too. Wink

LOL.
wildfoto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was worried about the NFL cops and their lawyers busting down my door. They are real hard @sses.

I created a baseball cap over on Zazzle that said "Skol Vikings" in yellow and purple text (no logo, no pictures, just text) and they kicked up a fuss and made Zazzle delete the design.

But then I thought about all of the games I've watched on TV showing fans wrapped in homemade Vikings quilts, costumes, or something and said "screw it!". They don't seem to have a problem with fans painting the logo on the side of their vehicles.

As long as I'm not making money off of the tags, they can calm down and be thankful that they have fans at all (especially the way they've been playing lately). Someone needs to smack Favre with a rolled-up newspaper.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress... Rolling Eyes
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Minnesota Vikings Coin Request Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
Quote:
As you appear to be the gurus for Minnesota

I don't know anything about Vikings coins, but it is good to know who the guru is in Minnesota Wink
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Minnesota Vikings Coin Request Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:
Quote:
As you appear to be the gurus for Minnesota

I don't know anything about Vikings coins, but it is good to know who the guru is in Minnesota Wink

Embarassed Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: