MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Might we see the return of virtuals?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Might we see the return of virtuals? Reply with quote

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=260010
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I wonder how King Boreas would configure his Minnesota Virtual Challenge? I love virtuals and ALWAYS seek them on while travelling. But now with the idea of them coming back, I have anxiety. I am not sure why. Perhaps it's because they will no longer be rare?

HELP!
NYSandy23
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love virtuals, especially if they are historic or art related or just something unusual. It would be great to be able to add more especially if you did not have to worry about proximity issues.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonders similar to bflentje... I too look for virtuals at those that are still out there seem to get you to an interesting place (BWCA), or historical places Holly Shrine and Old Stone Church.

interesting and bizzare Dickeyville Grotto or the Atomic Cannon

americana
American Gothic.

Hoping they don't start to pop up as identifying / counting the number of bolts under a lampskirt holding down that lamp-post
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Might we see the return of Virtuals? Reply with quote

I have been patiently working on getting 100 virtuals, and I'm only 5 short now. I was hopng they would NOT bring them back-so getting them would bring extra pleasure.
There are only 3 virtuals within 100 miles of my home coordinates-so I love driving a little out of my way to get one when traveling.

P.S. I have virtualed out North Dakota (oh yeah-there was only 3). Embarassed
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I groaned when I read this.

I have certainly found my fair share of virtuals, although I much prefer regular caches. I have a personality disorder though that requires me to search out all caches in the area I'm caching, so I'll find myself doing any new virtuals if this moves forward.

About the only place I really don't mind them is in places where physical caches are prohibited (such as the BWCA).
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Inner Cities - Wash. DC, NYC
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrest wrote:

Hoping they don't start to pop up as identifying / counting the number of bolts under a lampskirt holding down that lamp-post

I am hoping there will be some sort of additional approval process or requirements, like they have with earth caches.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, there's a lot of weasel language in that post from the Groundspeak person: They "plan" to "work" on a solution that should "support" those interested in virtuals. I really have no idea what that means.

That being said, I can't intellectually grasp the distinction between earthcaches and virtual caches which suggests that the former should exist but the latter shouldn't. Then again, Groundspeak seems to be great at solving problems that don't exist.
Bad_CRC
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do some places ban geocaching?

is it because they don't want a peanutbutter jar behind one of their trees, or because they don't want a high number of people going to a specific spot because of liability, wear, or similar reasons?

seems like virtuals are kind of a way to spit in the eye of those orgs or entities who do not wish to have geocaching at those spots.

anyway, I've done several and enjoyed many of them, but they do seem to be something different than geocaching. Much more like waymarking than geocaching imo.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy virtuals when they bring you to a place that there's no way you could put a physical cache but that is worth visiting. My absolute favorite virtual is at the Blake School in Hopkins. There's a piece of our very recent history there that you'd never know had a Minnesota connection. It brought tears to my eyes.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
I really enjoy virtuals when they bring you to a place that there's no way you could put a physical cache but that is worth visiting. My absolute favorite virtual is at the Blake School in Hopkins. There's a piece of our very recent history there that you'd never know had a Minnesota connection. It brought tears to my eyes.

One of my favorites is Mr. Little Guy's House or the one at the Ely wolf center.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:

That being said, I can't intellectually grasp the distinction between earthcaches and virtual caches which suggests that the former should exist but the latter shouldn't. Then again, Groundspeak seems to be great at solving problems that don't exist.

Earthcaches are actually reviewed/approved by a totally different entity. They want to see some sort of earth science lesson type thing. They are essentially virtuals that teach you something about the earth there. Typically you have to "perform" some sort of experiment, measurement, etc as part of being able to claim the find.

I personally think if they are going to bring back virutals make it like a version 2.0... call them photo caches, since so many of the virtuals required a photo with your GPS as proof. Give it a different icon so that the first virtuals out there sill have a little rarity to them.
Tri-Chick
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted an article I thought this stream may be interested in Smile

Waymarking replaces Virtual and Webcam caches http://exm.nr/bDgZ6w

~Tri-Chick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: