MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Garmin GPSMAP 62 Series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roylake
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: New Garmin GPSMAP 62 Series Reply with quote

Garmin has the new GPSMAP 62 series on their website. Sug Retail is $349-$549. Looks interesting.

On a side note Cabelas has the 60CSX on sale for $199.99, the Nuvi 500 for $199.99 and the Dakota 20 Bundle for $249.99. The sale is in store or online from June 10 to 20th. I think there is still a $50 rebate on the Dakota 20 until June 20th.
Jasowac
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just thought I would post up that Garmin shipped my 62s today. Very Happy
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasowac wrote:

Sweet, tell us what you think! The one thing holding me back is not being able to do Wherigo's.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be interviewing Jake from Garmin next week about the 62, and he is shipping me a review unit to use for a month so I can review it on an upcoming show.

If anyone has any questions for Garmin about the 62 or 78 let me know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I'm going to be interviewing Jake from Garmin next week about the 62, and he is shipping me a review unit to use for a month so I can review it on an upcoming show.

If anyone has any questions for Garmin about the 62 or 78 let me know.

Yea, I'm a newbie and I've got a 78. Can you help me figure out how to use it. Laughing

Good unit, glad I traded up from my 76.
m&tcacheseekers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is garmin going to make the 62 and 78 wherigo capable??
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
Jasowac wrote:

Sweet, tell us what you think! The one thing holding me back is not being able to do Wherigo's.

Bump! How is the New GPSr working? What are the likes dislikes?
Jasowac
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, I got shipped out to Afghanistan a couple of days before the GPSr arrived in the mail, and I don't want to risk having it shipped over here to me. I'll be back home the end of september. Its been sitting brand new in the box for almost two months! it kills me not to be able to use my new gaget!
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasowac wrote:
sorry, I got shipped out to Afghanistan a couple of days before the GPSr arrived in the mail, and I don't want to risk having it shipped over here to me. I'll be back home the end of september. Its been sitting brand new in the box for almost two months! it kills me not to be able to use my new gaget!

Stay safe and let us know how it goes when you get a chance to play with it!
Jasowac
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am back home, and have been using my new GPSMAP 62s extensively. I haven't done a whole lot of geocaching with it yet, since it is hunting season. My previous GPSr's were an Etrex and a magellan...both base models in black and white. So Most anything would seem like an improvement.

I imagine the capabilities are simalar to the Oregon. I have loaded birds eye, City Navigator, and Topo maps (from the GPSfiledepot website). The aspect that I am most impressed with is the reception. I can get reception in my basement. It's incredible. I am always tracking 8 or 9 satellites and accuracy always reads around 12 feet. I am going to try to find the Lair of Three Headed women, since I tried that one this spring and the GPS was worthless with those cliffs. I have also exceeded 20 hours on the battery life with normal fleet farm value pack batteries.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasowac wrote:
I am going to try to find the Lair of Three Headed women, since I tried that one this spring and the GPS was worthless with those cliffs.

Glad to hear that you like your new GPS. But I had to chuckle when you think it will help you find that cache. I've also DNFed it a few years ago but not because my GPS was useless. Usually the best thing is a metal detector and a big shovel. Laughing Very Happy
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
Jasowac wrote:
I am going to try to find the Lair of Three Headed women, since I tried that one this spring and the GPS was worthless with those cliffs.

Glad to hear that you like your new GPS. But I had to chuckle when you think it will help you find that cache. I've also DNFed it a few years ago but not because my GPS was useless. Usually the best thing is a metal detector and a big shovel. Laughing Very Happy

I thought the same thing. NO GPSr is going to help you in there!
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:
Jasowac wrote:

I thought the same thing. NO GPSr is going to help you in there!

Nope. The space isn't that big; having good coords doesn't really help.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides it's a KB cache! Good luck!
Jasowac
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for all of the doubters out there...I found the Lair of the Three-Headed Women today. GPSr took me right to ground zero with no loss of reception.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: