MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Souvenirs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of a book report I did in grade school.

Don't we have a lot of lakes or something? We could add something about those.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
Quote:
The northernmost of the contiguous states, Minnesota is home to both the United States' first indoor mall, Southdale Center, and largest mall, the Mall of America. Minnesotans are highly involved in outdoor activities, and Minnesota is therefore one of the healthiest states.

So of all Minnesota has to offer, the most interesting tidbit they can write about are malls. Not Headwaters of the Mississippi, BWCWA, North Shore, etc.

Yeah I thought the same thing! I still don't understand the purpose of the souvenirs. Pointless.
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Feeling a bit clueless. Reply with quote

I have MN and WI souvenir but not an IA one. I have found more caches in IA than in WI. Am I just searching in the wrong place in IA? I'm not understanding the comments about the e-mails. I haven't gotten any emails except the weekly Groundspeak newsletter. I don't quite understand the process of awarding the souvenirs yet. It is hard to "play the game" if you don't know the rules.

15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Feeling a bit clueless. Reply with quote

Aix sponsa wrote:
I don't quite understand the process of awarding the souvenirs yet. It is hard to "play the game" if you don't know the rules.

If you've ever found caches in the States that have souvenirs, they're awarded as soon as that State has a souvenir (and there's still a few States that don't have souvenirs yet). There are also souvenirs for attending a 10/10/10 event and visiting Groundspeak HQ.

As for their purpose, I think they're like lawn flamingoes - interesting to look at, but they don't really serve any useful purpose.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Feeling a bit clueless. Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:

As for their purpose, I think they're like lawn flamingoes

And once you have seen more than 2, just as tacky.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Feeling a bit clueless. Reply with quote

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:
15Tango wrote:

As for their purpose, I think they're like lawn flamingoes

And once you have seen more than 2, just as tacky.

LOL how true! I will say that the art work is very pretty to look at. But pointless. Can I say that one more time? Pointless. Laughing

To summarize for some who may have missed it earlier, the souvenirs seem to be created/released by Groundspeak from the east coast states (or maybe order of joining the union) to west. They have their own artists who create these pretty pictures. You automatically get awarded the souvenir, once it is published, for any state in which you have previously logged a cache. If your notifications are set up to receive them, you should get an email to notify you each time you receive a new award - although some people are reporting they don't get the emails. Also as you log caches in new states, you automatically get those souvenirs. Souvenirs are also awarded for special one-time things like the 10 events or geocoinfest, headquarters and others.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Feeling a bit clueless. Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
...you should get an email to notify you each time you receive a new award - although some people are reporting they don't get the emails...

My Souvenir emails went to one of my secondary email addresses (in my GC.com profile), which hasn't been used as my primary for several months.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think souvenirs would be more meaningful if there was a known list of them and they were more like Achievements in XBox360 games or Trophies in PS3 games, in that they could encourage you to work towards specific caching goals.

For example, you unlock a souvenir at 100 finds, or 50 hides, or finding 100 letterboxes, or finding a cache in 10 states, or finding the oldest active cache in a state, etc. In some ways, they could be a nice supplement to challenge caches, except without the cache and permanently visible. Creatively done, I think they could mean something. As it is now, well, I can't say I care that much about them.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the GC.com forum: List of the souvenirs that have been released.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but what is a geoCRUSH and a Marination???? I remember Orange Crush and thought Marination was what you did to a steak before tossing it on the grill????
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrest wrote:
OK, but what is a geoCRUSH and a Marination???? I remember Orange Crush and thought Marination was what you did to a steak before tossing it on the grill????

I got a geoCRUSH for visiting a cache near the library in Seattle. My guess is that was an area where they tested the concept but dont' know for sure.
CharleneMae
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
I think souvenirs would be more meaningful if there was a known list of them and they were more like Achievements in XBox360 games or Trophies in PS3 games, in that they could encourage you to work towards specific caching goals.

For example, you unlock a souvenir at 100 finds, or 50 hides, or finding 100 letterboxes, or finding a cache in 10 states, or finding the oldest active cache in a state, etc. In some ways, they could be a nice supplement to challenge caches, except without the cache and permanently visible. Creatively done, I think they could mean something. As it is now, well, I can't say I care that much about them.

I like this idea.

It would also be great if you could "organize" your souvenirs. As we start branching out and collecting states (which I think we may start doing), it would nice to be able to put them in some sort of sub category and then have an "all 50 states" souvenir appear in the main area when you get that far.

Could the MN State Parks create a souvenir for completing the Wildlife Safari cache series??
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharleneMae wrote:
Sharknose Bunnies wrote:

I like this idea.

It would also be great if you could "organize" your souvenirs. As we start branching out and collecting states (which I think we may start doing), it would nice to be able to put them in some sort of sub category and then have an "all 50 states" souvenir appear in the main area when you get that far.

Could the MN State Parks create a souvenir for completing the Wildlife Safari cache series??

It might be worth posting as an idea on Geocaching.com's feedback forum. They do read that, from the looks of it.

In the meantime, you might enjoy the badges macro for GSAK. It starts to get at these same sorts of things...
Badges Macro for GSAK
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Province of Ontario has been released, not sure about the rest of the Provinces or Territories.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ontario one looks pretty cool. I have a new least favorite - Kansas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: