MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Souvenirs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Souvenirs Reply with quote

Anyone else notice this new feature?

http://www.geocaching.com/about/souvenirs.aspx

I opened up my iPhone app tonight after seeing something about this, and noticed I was awarded a 10/10/10 souvenir.

So if you have the iPhone app or the Android app, do a search for nearby caches, and you should get this as well... Even though it's only the 9th (must be the same time zone thing that affects logging dates...)

My real question - Do you think this is what they mean by the potential return of virtuals? Some forum searching shows that there are several of these available as soon as it launches (geo-woodstock, project ape, groundspeak HQ, original stash - oh wait, 2 of them have their own icon anyway...) From what I've read, they aren't being awarded retroactively yet, but someone logged a cache near GS HQ, and got the HQ souvenir...

What do you think of this? Think it'll be like challenge cache type of stuff? Think it's even necessary or cool?

Go look, it's already linked on your profile. Just don't talk about it on the national forums - they're locking any thread that even thinks about talking about it... Which seems slightly ludicrous, especially since they're now being awarded...
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one a couple days ago in Seattle. I didn't know what it was.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know when you see the Minnesota ones. Our icons were submitted to Groundspeak early spring. I don't know which ones they chose but you'll probably recognize at least one of them. I don't know how they decided which souvenir you get in which part of the state.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just searched for nearby caches with the android app, and so far, I got nothin'.
wildfoto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: ipod? Reply with quote

Do you know if this works with the ipod touch app?
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GC2GE8X is a souvenir cache - when I logged it this morning I got a pop up that said- congrats you have found a souvenir cache-- or what ever-
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
I just searched for nearby caches with the android app, and so far, I got nothin'.

Huh. I assumed since I got one on my iPhone for doing that, and they mentioned both iPhone and android apps they'd have it up and running on that for sure already...

eagleyes wrote:
GC2GE8X is a souvenir cache - when I logged it this morning I got a pop up that said- congrats you have found a souvenir cache-- or what ever-

You got the 10/10/10 one, which I suspect anyone who logs any cache today (via an app or the website) will get.

Kinda cool thing. Especially if they will have them per area/per state like EP indicated... But I'm sure that's after it gets off the ground...

Wonder what the process will be for adding one? Will anyone be able to do it, or just GroundSpeak? They have a line on there saying who created it, as though it'll be opened up a bit at least...

Interesting stuff...
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have contacted them again to find out how we can add more or if they are accepting more. The MnGCA received an invitation over the winter to submit graphics and we did along with the bio from the creator. If we can add more maybe we can accept submissions and then we can vote on which we like best and submit more. I'll let you know when I find out more.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cache we found this morning for which we got the souvenir icon was published on Oct 09, 2010 and we were the FTF. When we did some cache maintenance after that on our caches,we found another cache which was an older cache with logs already on it and when I logged it we didn't get a souvenir icon.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got the 10-10-10 souvenir it is given to anyone that logs a cache on this day. They're using it to celebrate a hopeful record number of cachers caching today. The last record high number of cachers caching in one day was a day this last April and it was over 54,000. Hopefully, more than that will log found caches, events, etc. today to set a new record high!
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... but I got one just by performing a search late last night. Now I am logging a cache today, so I would get it anyway... but if they're just using the number of souvenirs given out to determine how many accounts logged, it's not a valid measure...

Now I know they're smarter than that and they'll only count the accounts that actually posted a log dated 10/10/10, right?
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, I got one as soon as I logged on my phone to search for caches. I did find one today but that was afterward.
cajun&southern belle
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz We got one after logging a cache on GC.com That's cool.
NYSandy23
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one for logging one of the 10-10-10 events yesterday.
roylake
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a friend of mine who went to the Groundspeak headquarters got a HQ one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: