MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd new cacher?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 99.99% sure I know who it is after finding his/her cache last night. All the pieces of the puzzle fell into place.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us could care less. Besides, I think Sparkyfry is the mysterious spook anyway. (intentional misspelling?)
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Some of us could care less. Besides, I think Sparkyfry is the mysterious spook anyway. (intentional misspelling?)

Just having fun at your expense Mike. You know I'd do "almost" anything for you. You do NOT have my vote however.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
I'm 99.99% sure I know who it is after finding his/her cache last night. All the pieces of the puzzle fell into place.

BTW, I know my originally stated hunch about this being someone we all know is going to come true.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:

Cache hidden on an obscure piece of forfeited Hennepin County property tucked back into a cul de sac. Has to be someone that lives in the area. Also, I know our puzzling friend Pfalstad used to hang out around High, Higher and Highest Wood. Laughing
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
(spuke) wrote:
The truth shall be known. Stay posted.
(spuke)

Now maybe Pearhead can attempt an IP compare with known members.

Sounds like a match has been made?!... http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1271
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronindoc wrote:
Honestly, I don't think (spuke) wrote on the wall. It is disturbing that someone wrote on the wall, but I have a strong suspicion that the writing on the wall was markedly different than that of the cache s/he placed. I can certainly understand the frustration of someone placing a decoy, and perhaps (spuke) is now aware of that... Any recent decoys placed? The logs and notes do seem to be Halloweenish, and of course everyone is worried that someone is watching in the bushes. Their cache was very nicely done. It also seems (spuke) has posted a first to find on a cache, written in the log but still didn't post a find. So, that's their modus operandi, and to each his/her own. Everyone plays the game a different way. So far, harmless except the decoys in my opinion, only from the standpoint that the CO's feel it interferes with the experience the want cachers to have when finding their caches. Let's see if those drop off based on the concern expressed on here and in the community.

And shame on the person capitalizing on the mystery by writing on the wall. That was just dumb. In my educated opinion, I still don't think it was (spuke) who wrote on the wall. The writing was wiped from the wall a couple days after the event.

You seem very interested in defending this (spuke) character. That's a very nice "tribute" to a cacher whose identity you don't even know. Wink
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many people are blowing this a bit out of proportion. While most cachers are social people and don't care about their identity, there are plenty of cachers who don't attend events, read up @ MnGCA, and are finding your caches without logging them. This person doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong, but the creep factor seems particularly high in this case.

Time will tell, but I think this person has no ill-intent.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
I think many people are blowing this a bit out of proportion. While most cachers are social people and don't care about their identity, there are plenty of cachers who don't attend events, read up @ MnGCA, and are finding your caches without logging them. This person doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong, but the creep factor seems particularly high in this case.

Time will tell, but I think this person has no ill-intent.

The dead-has-arisen. No Halloween pun intended.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
The dead-has-arisen. No Halloween pun intended.
I still read just as often, but I don't post nearly as much Cool

Now, back under my rock I go Razz
bdpfau
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email from (spuke) today that reads as follows:

Ref: Your forum post on Oct 12. Other Cache owners questioned my first logs: a simple "boo", intended to be a Casper-the-Friendly-Ghost greeting. One thought it was an insult to the quality of the cache. So I used "peekaboo" on future log entries.I can't get on the forum, maybe because I've been blocked.
(spuke)

This cacher doesn't seem to have any negative intent to me. What do you all think?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdpfau wrote:
I got an email from (spuke) today that reads as follows:

Ref: Your forum post on Oct 12. Other Cache owners questioned my first logs: a simple "boo", intended to be a Casper-the-Friendly-Ghost greeting. One thought it was an insult to the quality of the cache. So I used "peekaboo" on future log entries.I can't get on the forum, maybe because I've been blocked.
(spuke)

This cacher doesn't seem to have any negative intent to me. What do you all think?

We were promised to know who (spuke) was yesterday and it never came. You'd think he could log on using his real account and say "surprise!".
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received an email copy to share with you. This lays to rest this mystery.

"The Brief Existence of (spuke) - An Autobiography".
My name is (spuke), as in "Luke" or "duke" or "jukebox", but not "puke".
I rose from my moss-covered crypt in the fading days of summer with the intent of enhancing the geocaching experience by my mysterious presence.
My plan evolved in three stages:
First, in September to establish the ephemeral presence of (spuke), an unseen seeker of caches not yet published in the weekly notifications. That has been done.
Second, in September to plant a cache in the spirit of traditional Halloween observations. That has been done with "Let's Do Lunch."
Third, in November to reveal the true identity of (spuke) with a multi-stage puzzle cache which would also be of significant benefit to the Minnesota Geocaching Association and reflect favorably on the integrity of Minnesota geocachers.
But that now appears to be ill advised.
At the MnCGA annual meeting on October 16th some vandal wrote the name of "spuke" on the exterior wall of the community activities building. That graffiti was promptly removed by a more conscientious cacher the folowing day.
On October 18th I was contacted by Nicole of Groundspeak, who admonished me for posting "peekaboo" notes and leaving decoys. Her stated concern was that some geocachers thought that they were being observed by my lurking presence. (That never happened.) She also requested that I remove decoys and delete references to them. The deletions have been performed and the decoys, which I naively thought would enhance the pleasure of finding the real caches, are being removed.
Because I will not allow my continued existence to be the excuse for future vandalism at my expense and because I had no intent to deter geocachers in theit quests, I am herewith withdrawing to rest again in my mossy crypt.
Farewell.
(spuke)
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
This lays to rest this mystery.

Not really. I've stated privately to a number of people (this individual included) that this isn't necessarily the correct approach. I understand that there were perhaps some good intentions gone wrong, which is unfortunate, but at the same time that's reality.

The reason it doesn't lay to rest the mystery is that the person has still not revealed their identity.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
I have received an email copy to share with you. This lays to rest this mystery.

"The Brief Existence of (spuke) - An Autobiography".
My name is (spuke), as in "Luke" or "duke" or "jukebox", but not "puke".
I rose from my moss-covered crypt in the fading days of summer with the intent of enhancing the geocaching experience by my mysterious presence.
My plan evolved in three stages:
First, in September to establish the ephemeral presence of (spuke), an unseen seeker of caches not yet published in the weekly notifications. That has been done.
Second, in September to plant a cache in the spirit of traditional Halloween observations. That has been done with "Let's Do Lunch."
Third, in November to reveal the true identity of (spuke) with a multi-stage puzzle cache which would also be of significant benefit to the Minnesota Geocaching Association and reflect favorably on the integrity of Minnesota geocachers.
But that now appears to be ill advised.
At the MnCGA annual meeting on October 16th some vandal wrote the name of "spuke" on the exterior wall of the community activities building. That graffiti was promptly removed by a more conscientious cacher the folowing day.
On October 18th I was contacted by Nicole of Groundspeak, who admonished me for posting "peekaboo" notes and leaving decoys. Her stated concern was that some geocachers thought that they were being observed by my lurking presence. (That never happened.) She also requested that I remove decoys and delete references to them. The deletions have been performed and the decoys, which I naively thought would enhance the pleasure of finding the real caches, are being removed.
Because I will not allow my continued existence to be the excuse for future vandalism at my expense and because I had no intent to deter geocachers in theit quests, I am herewith withdrawing to rest again in my mossy crypt.
Farewell.
(spuke)

The bolded part is what bothered me the most about this whole situation. Messing around with someone else's cache...not cool...not cool at all...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: