MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd new cacher?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronindoc
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are feelings now that the situation seems to be resolving itself?
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has ideas that they think are good, but turn out in the end to not be so good. The idea of posting "peekaboo", of course is creepy. I read this as someone is watching me. The idea of placing decoy on someone else's hide is wrong. I have only seen one fun decoy and that was placed by the original hider as part of the hide - that decoy had a note inside to keep looking. By not posting a "find" and posting a "note" gives a message that someone might be messing with your geocache - that is what I thought and actually got me to go check on it to make sure it was still there. My two cents. I do feel bad for the guy/gal -- like I said, everyone makes mistakes. intentional or not.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

team_geomonkey wrote:
Everyone has ideas that they think are good, but turn out in the end to not be so good. The idea of posting "peekaboo", of course is creepy. I read this as someone is watching me. The idea of placing decoy on someone else's hide is wrong. I have only seen one fun decoy and that was placed by the original hider as part of the hide - that decoy had a note inside to keep looking. By not posting a "find" and posting a "note" gives a message that someone might be messing with your geocache - that is what I thought and actually got me to go check on it to make sure it was still there. My two cents. I do feel bad for the guy/gal -- like I said, everyone makes mistakes. intentional or not.

Yep, I agree, that's what I thought about this as well. Posting just a note vs a find and the peekaboo, I too thought someone was messing with my caches. I also wasn't too pleased about the decoy's being placed at my caches. If I wanted to put a decoy, I would have when I placed it.

Ronindoc wrote:

Same as before. I didn't lose any sleep over it, just felt a bit creeped out that someone was watching cachers. Looking at EPs email, clearly it was a "prank" that back fired. While we all play the game how we want, however, when many many people email him/her indicating something's not quite right, you would think they would take a hint people don't like what's going on. People were genuinely concerned for their safety feeling as if they were being watched. I think people were being "Minnesota Nice" trying to resolve this directly with Spuke and look how long it took for someone to take it up directly with Groundspeak. I think Spuke took it a bit too far and clearly it backfired. Many of us like pranks, but I think based on the people in the west metro that I've chatted with, the behavior was concerning and not many found the "humor" of it all. I had emailed him/her many times asking about his messing with my caches. No replies, then finally I did. The response was still weird. Notice Spuke was misspelled in the reply.

Quote:
Just being creepy. Halloween is this month, you know. Sometimes I find 'em but can't get to 'em. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I drop a decoy. But always I'm benign.
(s[uke)

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:09 AM
Are you actually visiting the caches you post notes too? If so why aren't you logging them as found vs notes. Your logs are a bit creepy to be honest.

Just wondering what's going on.

Shawn
Speedysk1

bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
team_geomonkey wrote:

Yep, I agree, that's what I thought about this as well. Posting just a note vs a find and the peekaboo, I too thought someone was messing with my caches. I also wasn't too pleased about the decoy's being placed at my caches. If I wanted to put a decoy, I would have when I placed it.

Ronindoc wrote:

Same as before. I didn't lose any sleep over it, just felt a bit creeped out that someone was watching cachers. Looking at EPs email, clearly it was a "prank" that back fired. While we all play the game how we want, however, when many many people email him/her indicating something's not quite right, you would think they would take a hint people don't like what's going on. People were genuinely concerned for their safety feeling as if they were being watched. I think people were being "Minnesota Nice" trying to resolve this directly with Spuke and look how long it took for someone to take it up directly with Groundspeak. I think Spuke took it a bit too far and clearly it backfired. Many of us like pranks, but I think based on the people in the west metro that I've chatted with, the behavior was concerning and not many found the "humor" of it all. I had emailed him/her many times asking about his messing with my caches. No replies, then finally I did. The response was still weird. Notice Spuke was misspelled in the reply.

Quote:
Just being creepy. Halloween is this month, you know. Sometimes I find 'em but can't get to 'em. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I drop a decoy. But always I'm benign.
(s[uke)

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:09 AM
Are you actually visiting the caches you post notes too? If so why aren't you logging them as found vs notes. Your logs are a bit creepy to be honest.

Just wondering what's going on.

Shawn
Speedysk1

The theme here is that Halloween geocaching seems to backfire a lot. Laughing
Ronindoc
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on the Halloween geocaching backfiring a lot... Hard to be creepy when people become suspicious. Oh well, I think my lesson here is that for one, never mess with anyone's caches, or the experience they try to create by reserving that 0.1 around their cache (or whatever). And when people become suspicious, someone else needs to be involved to say "hey, this is someone who is trying to do something unique, and unobtrusive to others" instead of being secretive. As I've heard before, it's only a matter of time before someone opens up a cache that has something very nasty in it, and harmful, because someone who is not playing the game thought it would be a good prank. Explosive devices, etc., if ever found in caches, will change the face of the game forever. God forbid something like that happens, but some of these materials are very readily available and some bad egg out there will think it's a game. In this instance, I know that was not the original intention, but it certainly had people wondering. I think a reply early on would have been a more acceptable tactic here, but (spuke) was trying to protect identity as well as be a bit creepy in a harmless manner. As (spuke) said, Casper the Friendly Ghost friendly.

So that's my two cents. I'm not (spuke).
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronindoc wrote:
I'm not (spuke).

Indeed, you are not.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm not (spuke) either.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
Ronindoc wrote:
I'm not (spuke).

Indeed, you are not.

Are you saying that you know (spuke)'s identity? I don't recall a post in which his/her identity was revealed, nor do I recall a post in which someone other than (spuke) stated that his/her identity was known to them.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

Wish I had a penny for every time I heard that! Smile Oh and I'm not (spuke) either.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
King Boreas wrote:

Wish I had a penny for every time I heard that! Smile Oh and I'm not (spuke) either.

Huh.. you might be worth 19 cents by now. Wink
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm not (spuke) either. (Looks like I owe TWS a penny) Very Happy
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not (spuke) either but I do know who is.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
I'm not (spuke) either but I do know who is.

http://www.whois.com/
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:

This is turning into the reverse of this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8h_v_our_Q
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
RudeRat wrote:

This is turning into the reverse of this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8h_v_our_Q

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: