MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did this get approved?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: How did this get approved? Reply with quote

Just returned from Cozumel, Mexico. There are several caches on the island- but two of them are within 10 feet of one another, and they are both regular caches which have been approved. Shouldn't they have been able to tell this from the data sent in for site approval? Also, with all the crap they give us about virtual caches, the virtual cache which is an approved cache is really lame. Go figure.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
two of them are within 10 feet of one another

And I hope you had the cabana boy bring both of them over to you: Cool
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: hehehehehe... Reply with quote

No, but my husband went beyond the safety ropes to retrieve one. It seems that since the time that the cache was placed, a section of the cliff broke off, so they had to put up safety ropes to keep people back from the edge. One of the caches is a micro at the end of a branch in what is now the off-limits area. You are basically walking on the edge of a cliff which is unstable limestone. Cool
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: hehehehehe... Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
You are basically walking on the edge of a cliff which is unstable limestone. Cool

Candy Apple Green? Have you been to Mexico recently? Smile

Silent Bob
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Just returned.... Reply with quote

from a two week stay in Cozumel- our 11th year down there. What is happening about that Missouri cache event? We still may be swinging through that area- send me the dates and place.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Just returned.... Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
What is happening about that Missouri cache event? We still may be swinging through that area- send me the dates and place.

As of right now I know for 100% sure that both JT and I will be attending. Moe the Sleaze has expressed interest and his wife has given pre-approval so he may be coming around as well.

I think that we have decided (mostly because we didn't register for it) that we don't really want to participate in the event itself. We might just so some long distance caching Smile

It's March 19-21st. Camping at Hawn State Park in MO. http://www.mostateparks.com/hawn.htm

Silent Bob
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: OK Reply with quote

We may be swinging through the area on our way back from CA and the SW-will keep it on the back burner of the itinerary in case we are in the area at that itme.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new cache 504 feet away from an existing one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=21.299383&lon=-157.814683
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingboreas wrote:
A new cache 504 feet away from an existing one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=21.299383&lon=-157.814683

Eh, one's a webcam cache and it is 504 feet to the next. That's close enough for a "virtual" to a "traditional". It's up to the approver and I am sure the judgement call was a good one.

Silent Bob
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let's not throw to many stones. We've got two traditionals within .08 miles (422 feet) from each other. And if anyone is interested in which ones they are look here.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid={E7318A88-1B51-47FA-B876-21975CB02488}

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid={3A399FBF-F35A-4F15-9519-7D4376A14D01}

Idea
mtn-man
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only lurked on this topic, but since the last two caches are ones that I approved I will make a comment.

When I approved them I would assume that the multi-coords that I was given showed the final stage more than 528 feet away. If you have placed a multi you know that I ask for the stages if they are not posted in the reviewer notes section (boy I love the reviewer section, it has sped up the process to be sure). If the cacher is not telling the truth or moves the final stage then there is not much any reviewer can do. Obviously we make mistakes from time to time, which may be the case here too.

If you find a cache and verify that it is too close you are more then welcome to report it to the contact at geocaching email address. You may also feel free to email me at any time.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I thought that might lure you out of lurkdom.
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtn-man wrote:
I have only lurked on this topic, but since the last two caches are ones that I approved I will make a comment.

so are you speaking only for yourself, or as a representative of geocaching.com? while i probably know the answer, if you're going to represent yourself by the same name as you do in your capacity as a administrator at the web site, you should make the distinction.

while you may be a volunteer, i'm sure you wouldn't disagree that there are professional standards, written or unwritten, that you should adhere to as an administrator.

if not a disclaimer, then perhaps a separate handle is in order for your posts on this forum.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related question: What is the maximum you can change your coordinates after its been approved?

-Aaron

Last edited by s4xton on Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
PeakShift
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if not a disclaimer, then perhaps a separate handle is in order for your posts on this forum.

Wouldnt everyone bash him then for using a sock puppet account?
Just curious, as using a different username here than on GC.com has proven to be a "bad" thing. (In My experience)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: