MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Russ (Ole) Crawford
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Russ (Ole) Crawford Reply with quote

This morning we received news that our dear caching friend Russ Crawford (better known as ‘Ole’ of Ole and Lena) has passed away from a heart attack. Ole had a well-known name among northern Minnesota geocachers, second only to Bigfoot. The network of people he touched was vast. The contact list in his phone was full of seemingly anyone you wanted to get ahold of.

Russ also had a voracious appetite as a FTF fanatic, being the first to find a cache was a source of joy and accomplishment to Russ. The tougher the better. Russ enjoyed both telling and hearing a good story from the trail. He was an Air Force Veteran, who retired in Northern Minnesota to enjoy the outdoors and regular trips to the Boundry Waters Canoe Area (BWCA).

He will be sadly missed by his wife Donna, his family, and the countless people Russ touched with his wit and humor.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad news indeed.
Team Hooligan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe what a shock this is. Ole just called me on Monday night and we had a good catch up. I heard about his 8 days in the BW with Lena and what a great time they had. We talked about caching and how we both were going to be out soon.

I was fortunate to meet Ole through this great sport of geocaching and we became friends over the years. Truth be told Ole was my "go to guy" when I need a hint. Because he had for sure already been there, and had an amazing memory for the details of a cache. He always would answer my calls with a cheerful "Where you at today Hooligan?"

He will be very missed.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P. Kind Sir,
It was truely a pleasure to have known you!!!
May your batteries always keep a charge, may your GPSr have clear reception for ever more, and may all your finds all be FTF's!!!!!
Leave some for the rest of us though!! Smile)
Truly a sad day..............

Peace
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have enjoyed the company of Ole on more than one FTF adventure, and was shocked to hear of his passing. The north woods has lost a wonderful soul. Our hearts go out to his family and friends as they mourn their loss of this wonderful man.
onionpond
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard a lot about Ole, and had the chance to meet up with him at the 10th aniversery event in Bemidji. I was impressed with everything I saw & heard. I'm sure he will be truely missed. Our prayers go out to his family.
roylake
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had heard of Ole for a few years and we got the chance to meet him at the Bemidji 10 year event. He was well known in the Northwoods and will be missed by all. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Eric and Jo.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 10 year event in Bemidji. Ole front and center, just where he belonged in the northern Minnesota geocaching community. Aim high, my friend, aim high. I am a better person for having known you.
jicknarson
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news indeed.

I enjoyed Russ's sense of humor, shared through cache logs and emails, and appreciated his help on more than one tough hide.

He will be missed.
uffda320
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first met the legendary Ole coming home from work one day. I saw a car parked near Uffda's Micro, so I stopped to chat with whoever was there looking for the cache. Ole emerged from the woods and we talked like old friends for a good while before he headed down the road. Since then, we've met at geocaching events and it was always fun to hear about the adventures going on over in Grand Rapids.

Ole(Russ) will be missed by everyone.

Rest in peace, my friend.

Jerry

zebra61
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The news of Ole’s passing hit my like a ton of bricks this morning. Like so many others, I first met Russ on the way to a cache in the woods. Everyone that met him on the trail knows the he had a certain ‘knack’ for engaging anyone in a conversation. His wit, his humor and his kindness just came through in words. Your first experience with Ole was like you had just run into your best friend.

He was always up for a little conversation and a good laugh but even though he had many experiences that he could have bragged about, he was just too modest to do that. I feel very lucky to have known him for a short time. He was man of dignity and will be missed by many.

Remember: If there’s Geocaching in heaven, Ole just beat all of us to a few more…

Zebra

cushman rider
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Ole and Lena Reply with quote

I will miss my old buddy Ole we sure had a lot of good laughs and good times. always a kind word and a story to tell! We had many FTF races! (usually won by "The King" Loaner) when we were trying to be FTF we weren't always honest... maybe not giving up our true location and of course never answering the "Land Line". When I look back the most valuable find I made while caching was the friendship of "Ole and Lena" thanks Ole! and if you would give me a little nudge, when I forget my compass,gps,hat,walking stick,gloves,cell phone!! Wink
loaner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first met Ole on the trail like so many other cachers have. I was new to geocaching and Ole was a great PR person for the sport! He always offered encouragement and had many funny caching stories to tell. Trying to beat Ole to a FTF became a sport in it self! If a new cache came out late in the evening Ole liked to say that he set his alarm for zero dark thirty so that he'd have a chance at beating out the 'FTF fanatics'. He never admitted that he was one of them! Ole became a friend the first time I met him and its hard to believe that I won't be running in to him at caches from now on. He will be missed by every cacher that was lucky enough to meet him on the trail.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visitation for Russ will be in Grand Forks at the Gregory Norman Funeral home, Monday, Sept 20 from 5-7 p.m. His funeral will be on Tuesday 2 p.m. at St Michael's Catholic Church in Grand Forks. Burial will be in Forest Grove, Oregon.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.grandrapidsmn.com/obituaries/article_dfd2c344-c288-11df-ab9b-001cc4c03286.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: