MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good trackable "hotels" in the TC area?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Good trackable "hotels" in the TC area? Reply with quote

I found a geocoin in a cache near me. The owner would like it to go to Arlington National Cemetery to have its picture taken. It hasn't moved a lot in the past year, and I'd like to help change that.

It doesn't seem possible to search GC.com for "travel bug hotels", but there are enough people here with encyclopedic knowledge of local caches that I figured I'd find plenty of help. Very Happy

Any suggestions? NW metro would be nice, but I suspect the best ones are towards the core.

(I have a muggle brother in Virginia. I was thinking of sending it to him, but that seems like cheating...)
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can place it in Team Dogs Stargate Cache (GC2500J) and it will get to where it needs to go.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can Google geocaching organizations on the east coast and make a post there.. send the trackable to someone via mail. $2-3 max.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just what the doctor ordered, thanks! It can get to Fredricksburg, which is quite close to its destination.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to email the owner and ask if they mind if it's mailed. I know I'd prefer if my trackables moved naturally to get to their destination so they might too. Some people consider it "cheating" to mail them. While I don't consider it cheating, for my bugs it's the journey I enjoy even more than it getting to its destination!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
You might want to email the owner and ask if they mind if it's mailed. I know I'd prefer if my trackables moved naturally to get to their destination so they might too. Some people consider it "cheating" to mail them. While I don't consider it cheating, for my bugs it's the journey I enjoy even more than it getting to its destination!

Naturally? LOL. For mine, plane, boat, or on wheels, makes no difference if it has the USPS eagle logo. I'd rather see that than have it get lost. But that's another thread.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did cross my mind. But I chose to use the Stargate network because the coin hasn't moved much this summer, and because the owner hadn't logged into GC.com for a while. Maybe the coin's sudden appearance so close to its destination will get them excited.

It's sort of a variation on the adage "it's easier to seek forgiveness than permission" Laughing

If the coin's purpose was to visit as many caches as possible on its way, I probably would've just found a busy cache in the core Metro and dropped it there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: