MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Veteran's Day weekend to Nevada

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoBex
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Veteran's Day weekend to Nevada Reply with quote

I am planning a trip to the Powertrail in Nevada over the long Veteran's Day weekend (Thur - Sun). Should get more than 1,000 caches in the weekend. Just checking to see if there is any interest in making this a group effort. Consider your costs to be airfare, three nights hotel, your food and drink, and your share of the rental car/van. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome to share here or contact me at my email address.
GeoBex
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious as to what powertrail you have planned. So many of the power trails out there have had huge chunks of them archived in the last few months that they don't even look like a power trail anymore.
GeoBex
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at Hwy 375, E. T. Series. To peak your interest check out GC2551A. On 9/8 geocacher named tripping logged his first of 1000+ finds and he includes some pictures. It's quite the challenge!
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would suggest is rent something along the lines of a Jeep... the desert can be a cruel cruel place... some little POS Ford Focus or other econobox can spell disaster, unless you know the car is never leaving a paved road (and even then I would rather have something rugged for the unexpected)
GeoBex
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round trip tix to Vegas for $253 and the Jeep is rented. It is a go! Awesome adventure awaits!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoBex wrote:
Round trip tix to Vegas for $253 and the Jeep is rented. It is a go! Awesome adventure awaits!

I wish. Need to save up for the Colorado 2011 trip and now Groundspeak announced a new block party next year.. over canoe weekend. Sad Confused. Laughing
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.
GeoBex
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in joining us that would be great. We are looking for more drivers and runners to accomplish 1100 geocaches in 2 days. Jim Hoffman from California was at GeoCoinfest and he did 1156 in one day with a group of four.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoBex wrote:
If anyone is interested in joining us that would be great. We are looking for more drivers and runners to accomplish 1100 geocaches in 2 days. Jim Hoffman from California was at GeoCoinfest and he did 1156 in one day with a group of four.

So then he only personally found 289? Laughing Laughing

Even though I believe the 1156 was cheating by team caching, it's still be fun to go.
GeoBex
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To your response bflentje, first if you are calling someone a cheater I hope you have chatted with them instead of making assumptions. Second, am I to understand that you have never participated in a B.A.G. like I have with many, many of the other members of this association. To spare the log space we sign as a group. Whew! so many cheaters in your eyes. Every time you cache with any others you don't sign unless you found it; I hardly think so. The only 'team caching' I can agree with you, that I believe is cheating, is if the group splits up and not everyone is physically at every cache when it is signed. While driving through the desert and mountains down one highway, there will be no opportunity or desire to split up. It will be one incredible journey.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoBex wrote:
To your response bflentje, first if you are calling someone a cheater I hope you have chatted with them instead of making assumptions. Second, am I to understand that you have never participated in a B.A.G. like I have with many, many of the other members of this association. To spare the log space we sign as a group. Whew! so many cheaters in your eyes. Every time you cache with any others you don't sign unless you found it; I hardly think so. The only 'team caching' I can agree with you, that I believe is cheating, is if the group splits up and not everyone is physically at every cache when it is signed. While driving through the desert and mountains down one highway, there will be no opportunity or desire to split up. It will be one incredible journey.

You're misunderstanding posts and perplexed as to how you take offense. It is without a doubt cheating but I also team cache on many occasions. I didn't say it was wrong. I've added no angst to my post.

As for the 1100-some-odd-finds, that's a different kind of cheating. There's no way they could have pulled that off unless the group split up. I don't need to talk with anyone.. the math and the human body tells the real story. Impossible? Of course not. But HIGHLY, HIGHLY improbable.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoBex wrote:
Jim Hoffman from California was at GeoCoinfest and he did 1156 in one day with a group of four.

That means that he found a cache every 75 seconds for 24 hours straight. I think impossible would accurately describe that. I'm not calling anyone a liar. We all have different standards that we live by.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Veteran's Day weekend to Nevada Reply with quote

GeoBex wrote:
I am planning a trip to the Powertrail in Nevada over the long Veteran's Day weekend (Thur - Sun). Should get more than 1,000 caches in the weekend. Just checking to see if there is any interest in making this a group effort. Consider your costs to be airfare, three nights hotel, your food and drink, and your share of the rental car/van. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome to share here or contact me at my email address.
GeoBex

Good Luck...and my the "force" be with you!!!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think it would be a fun adventure..

Just think, if you ran .1 mile every 75 seconds, that'd be a 12.5 minute mile. Confused
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locked at request of the OP.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: