MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ringbone
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Ringbone Reply with quote

Yowsa! A real treasure hunt...[url=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid={8A54AF56-346B-48D5-898A-85D5C57F2921}]Tre-sure[/url]

I had a lot of fun out there today, even if I came up empty. And now that I've read the gc.com threads about the return of Ringbone, I am even more impressed. Stick it to the man, you rock Ringbone!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope ringbone decides to keep hiding things, would be cool to get a FTF on one of those caches Very Happy
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who?
What?
Where?
When?

Inquiing minds are baffled Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8a54af56-346b-48d5-898a-85d5c57f2921&log=y&decrypt=

This cache ruled. The only time that I honestly felt that having coords be intentionally off was tasteful.

I wasted 3 hours at it yesterday, and when I got there today and met FSU*Noles and friend, I immediately went to the area in the clue. Not sure why I didn't zero in on it before. I spent about 5-7 minutes around it and Frozen joined me. When I left the clue area, Frozen132 found it minutes later - I had just stepped over it. A great hide. Frozen132 took home some nice loot. Check out the photos I posted on the url above.

-Aaron
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Who?
What?
Where?
When?

Two years ago, back when it was allowed by gc.com, Ringbone would hide one-time-only caches, containing nothing but a couple of rare coins, and us local cachers would go nuts looking for these things (only to get skunked by some guy from Faribault named Butcho, who hasn't been too active lately). One he had on Harriet Island, [url=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid={5C7FEDAE-B0AB-4824-A923-6E00FB515B86}] Euro cache [/url], which lasted the longest, before my wife found it while some crazy guy on drugs was screaming at us for being in his "space."
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't participate in this frenzy, so maybe I'm missing something, but here is what I've learned from watching this. If I place a cache in a plastic bag with a few trinkets in it and post bad coordinates , it's lame. If I replace the plastic bag with burlap and throw in a $100 bill, it "rocks!"
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
If I place a cache in a plastic bag with a few trinkets in it and post bad coordinates , it's lame. If I replace the plastic bag with burlap and throw in a $100 bill, it "rocks!"

While I enjoyed watching the hunt I am not sure I would have liked participating in it.

Yet another example of why Geocaching is still great. Everyone can play the game they want to.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far off were the posted coords? According to oldgoldies log "Very close to your first guess rickrich". I don't think that would have put them that far off the mark.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickRich-

I wish I marked a waypoint. Here's a spoiler, so watch out.

I'm not kidding - this is a REAL SPOILER so if you want to do this cache, do not read this:

It was... about 80 metres / 260 feet SE of the posted coords. I could be off there +/- a lot. You likely noticed a slight dropoff just south of the cache with a bunch of dead trees, when the hill goes back up there's a downed tree with some type of leaves or growth over it that reminded me of a military blind or a natures tent as the clue implies in pig latin. It is literally just on the ground in there covered in tree branches and whatnot. I went inside it and got my hat all covered in whatever crap it was to look around. The tupperware wasn't small, about the size of your regular geocache ammo can.

-Aaron
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
I didn't participate in this frenzy, so maybe I'm missing something, but here is what I've learned from watching this. If I place a cache in a plastic bag with a few trinkets in it and post bad coordinates , it's lame. If I replace the plastic bag with burlap and throw in a $100 bill, it "rocks!"

Yep. It rocks in my opinion... Assuming the cacher *knows* That the coordinates are just a starting point.

If this cache was on a list of 20+ for a day, I would have been really peeved, though.

For the type of cache it was with the kind of prize involved, I thought ringbone did a great job. Certianly not traditional, but traditional caches are for 20+ cache-finds-a-day type things. =)

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:
Yep. It rocks in my opinion... Assuming the cacher *knows* That the coordinates are just a starting point.

I think he should have made it more clear what he meant by "near". I believe you said Pto said something like "is 'near' meaning near my car?"
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
I think he should have made it more clear what he meant by "near". I believe you said Pto said something like "is 'near' meaning near my car?"

Pto said, "Well Christ! My *car* is near the coordinates." when it was 600 metres / 2000ft away.

I agree that he should have been more clear with that... but on the other side of the token, I should found it the first day I was out there. I was too concerned looking for geobeacons I think as well, and this one was not in a geobeacon.

A different type of hunt, and not everyone's going to like it... but there's some other caches I don't like either - so to each their own.

-Aaron
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the hunters were kinder to the area than the medallion hunters were to Phelan. That's my concern for this type of cache.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
I hope the hunters were kinder to the area than the medallion hunters were to Phelan. That's my concern for this type of cache.

I agree, Moe. I overturned a number of old railroad ties out there, which ended up breaking into a number of pieces. Luckily there were only 10 or so people out there for this hunt... if the cache lasted without a finder for a week or more I think your concern might have been somewhat realized. FSU*Noles commented that he saw some areas he felt were "torn up," but in looking at the area I think it was more of dead logs and dead branches being moved and rolled over... But in many people's opinion even that's a bad thing. So I completly see your point.

-Aaron
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, my exact comment was that some areas looked like a "war zone", Wink but what I meant by that was merely that there was geo-evidence everywhere. IE, in some of the more "obvious" areas, there wasn't a log or tree that didn't have all the snow dug out all around the feature and it was obvious that a billion people had been there before me... I actually didn't see any logs or trees that ended up distressed or torn up, I think the geocachers are more considerate of the area than some of the medallion hunters (just a generalization here).

My own overall impression was that the hunt was quite fun. Not only did it give me a great excuse to ditch work early, but I also brought along a non-geocacher who now desparately wants to buy a GPS - he told me this morning he has "the bug". And most importantly, I met s4xton, Tixer, Frozen, and some other great people face-to-face and we all had FUN, which in the end is what I think it's all about anyway. Just my thoughts,

-Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: