MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DeLorme bookmarks for pages 28-31 and 26-39?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: DeLorme bookmarks for pages 28-31 and 26-39? Reply with quote

We're going to treat ourselves to a B and B (we hope) and try to get caches for these pages for the DeLorme. We want to target the state parks and EarthCaches along the way, as well as lb hybrids around Mankato, but wondered if anyone knew of any bookmark lists of stuff along the way? That way, we can shoot for the stuff we want and make sure we don't miss a page or something in the process. So towns like Redwood Falls, Granite Fallsm Marshall, Willmar and Litchfield seem to be in our path. Or any "must dos" in those areas? Terrain and difficulty aren't really an issue, though we aren't bringing the canoe or kayak this time! A mix of easy stuff and challenging stuff would be nice.

County coverage isn't as important. Heck, at the rate we're going, we might finish this before our grandkids have kids! Thanks.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: DeLorme bookmarks for pages 28-31 and 26-39? Reply with quote

Trekkin' and Birdin' wrote:
We're going to treat ourselves to a B and B (we hope) and try to get caches for these pages for the DeLorme. We want to target the state parks and EarthCaches along the way, as well as lb hybrids around Mankato, but wondered if anyone knew of any bookmark lists of stuff along the way? That way, we can shoot for the stuff we want and make sure we don't miss a page or something in the process. So towns like Redwood Falls, Granite Fallsm Marshall, Willmar and Litchfield seem to be in our path. Or any "must dos" in those areas? Terrain and difficulty aren't really an issue, though we aren't bringing the canoe or kayak this time! A mix of easy stuff and challenging stuff would be nice.

County coverage isn't as important. Heck, at the rate we're going, we might finish this before our grandkids have kids! Thanks.

In my experience doing those pages is that there are so many options, you won't have any issues finding caches. Look up that KB cache in Red Rock County Park, I think it's in Cottonwood county or one of the bordering counties. Very cool hidden geology.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far SW are you going? The earth cache in Kilen Woods SP is cool and shows off the park much better than the new multi does. No I'm not bitter they moved it from where I hid the first one. Wink Doc and other's have some ECs just south of the border in the IA great lakes that are interesting. Worthington is littered with caches so there lots of options there. Fairmont has one of the oldest active caches in the state.

Have fun!
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got that bottom strip of pages last summer, and did the EarthCache in Kilen Woods, I think. I know we concentrated on ECs and State park caches on that loooong day's road trip. Pipestone Ec was the big event of that day, well worth the long hours in the car.

So for this one, it's the two sets of four pages from the SD border to the west metro area. Second and third row from the Iowa border. The stuff in Iowa, we hope to get another time on a trip to South Dakota and the Black Hills. Thanks for the info!
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make you aware of it. HWY 212 Just on the East side of Granite Falls is CLOSED as of today, 7 Jul 10. It looks to be about a 10 miles stretch of the hwy that will be under construction.I'm not exactly sure what they are doing, but the traffic is being routed onto HWY 67 (this is the one that goes right by Upper Sioux State Park) It is a little bit of a strange detour.

There are a couple of earthcaches right near GF. One will be unaccesible during construction, likewise with my cache near it.

I believe you are meaning 36-39 for the second set of pages.

I just checked on a bunch of my caches in GF over the weekend and replaced several of them.

I have a couple of fun caches right in Lagoon park in Montevideo if you are interested in them. They are single stage caches, but are a little trickier to find. There are several other caches in the park.

There is a new Wherigo cache down in Marshall if you like doing those.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have posted that I don't have a delorme book. *Listening to the gasps now* Wink So I didn't know what the pages were. I'm sure it's online somewhere too, but never looked.

Have a good trip.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I meant 36-39. Bummer on the construction near Granite Falls, as I know I just bookmarked those ECs. Which one will be the inaccessible one? I did spot the WIG in Marshall, too. Have been bookmarking the state parks,ECs and other stuff like that, then finding a couple of close by regulars. No time for puzzles on this trip. When we did Wisconsin, we really tried to get some good coverage on all of our trips, but I think for this one, we'll just have to do less and try to cover more ground. So it helps to get ideas on the really few cool spots and caches in each location. We don't particularly want this to be a guardrail fest tour of MN!

Thanks for all the input and insight. We haven't added a single new page since last summer. Cached in the state lots, but the same old places we always go. Getting sick of all the hills, we need some wide open spaces for a couple days! Wink
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know if you use GSAK there is a macro somewhere out there that when you run a PQ it can put what DeLorme page a particular cache is located on. I believe it is called MapDelorme.gsk. I think it will generate a map of the pages you have completed, but a bonus is in one of the "User" fields it will list the page numbers. So conceivably, you could load a PQ, run that macro, then you'd know what caches were on what page. I've only done it with my "Found" database, but I have no idea why it wouldn't work with any other PQ.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cache "Scenic overlook" and the earthcache "Witness to time" will not be Available to get while the construction is going on. Sorry about this. You should still be able to get the others in town and around town.

The Earthcache "World's Oldest Rock" should still be available.

It sounds like they are doing concrete reconstruction on parts of the road. I don't think it will be more than 2-3 weeks that it will be closed.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
Fairmont has one of the oldest active caches in the state.

Hmm, which cache is that?
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

GC1876

Cedar Creek Park
A cache by Grizz
Hidden : 08/23/2001

http://coord.info/GC1876
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
I should have posted that I don't have a delorme book. *Listening to the gasps now* Wink So I didn't know what the pages were. I'm sure it's online somewhere too, but never looked.

Have a good trip.

I couldn't find a good one so I made one.. looks like I need to update the shading.

http://www.tftc.us/file.axd?file=2008%2f12%2fDeLorme.jpg

or

http://www.tftc.us/page/MN-DeLorme-Challenge.aspx
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
bflentje wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

GC1876

Cedar Creek Park
A cache by Grizz
Hidden : 08/23/2001

http://coord.info/GC1876

I see it now. I wonder how I missed such an important cache during my last couple of visits. How does it rank in age relative to other MN historical caches?
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
How does it rank in age relative to other MN historical caches?

I think it's in the top 15 or 20, but I don't know for sure where it ranks. I just know that it's pretty old.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out and about last weekend and found what became several loneeagle_24 caches they were pretty cool, best part was they were in interesting spots... Here are a couple suggestions

GCGQEC - Rocky Top, really pretty and an interesting road in there, creek crossing and all, couple other caches back there and they were fun too.

GCGC5Q - some interesting history at an out of the way wayside rest (mile off the main highway).

GCGZHG - Garvin park, several caches in that park, and it was a really cool park to hike around in with great trails.

GCG4JN - Auto Park Tour... Was amazed at the area, you could drive around in there "tour" a long way. Parking and overlooks in several locations, and trail head parking with a neat trail back into the cache.

GCGQ65 - Danver's Slough - tricky hide, on a wide open prairie.

Have a fun trip, there are some other cool areas out there, but these come to mind quickest as I was just there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Southern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: