MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cach'eye (cacheye.com)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Cach'eye (cacheye.com) Reply with quote

I'm not endorsing or suggesting, I just noticed this was a sponsored link on facebook: http://www.cacheye.org/ and hadn't heard it discussed here before. I'm sure it's been discussed in the national forums (but I rarely go there).

I was going to look at the demo, but it said I needed a 'newer' version of silverlight but I already have the latest version so didn't know if something fishy was going on or if their version detection was off.

Didn't know if anyone else has tried it or what they thought. But from the description it seems like an enhanced version of the maps you see on GC, I think GeoBuddy has similar features (but GeoBuddy isn't free), and you could probably get the same result by exporting queries from GSAK, but each change would be a different export, while in here it sounds like you just check/uncheck a box, which might be nice.

One other feature that they had was the ability to integrate the GCVote ratings as well (another site that I hadn't heard of). Maybe when they tie it in with a rating site like ratethiscache.com I'll look into it more Smile [That last part may have been a plug Very Happy ]
m&tcacheseekers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: fun tool Reply with quote

we took a look at this today. After spending about 4 hours with it we found some cool things about it.

it runs from the internet and you diont have any huge program to load onto your computer like google earth. it uses newer images than google earth. and thru playing around you can do a birds eye view of cache and boy does it give a nice view of a cache.

it has nice crisp looking photos. nice tool to add to your system of geocaching tools.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: fun tool Reply with quote

m&tcacheseekers wrote:
it uses newer images than google earth.

My property in WBL shows an image prior to July 2003 (even though it says 11-3-2009) and GE shows an image sometime around March-April 2006, so the newest image seems to be GE by at least 3 years.

Since there were multiple construction projects it's pretty easy to put an approximate date on the image.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: