MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile found log default text

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Mobile found log default text Reply with quote

I know there are lots of people that love to read the logs from cachers. Yet others of you strive to write the best logs possible and not copy and paste. I commend you all for that. Admittedly, I'm not that great at log writing. But that's not entirely the point of this thread. I recently updated to the groundspeak iPhone app version 4.0 and there are a lot of great new features in it. However, one thing that I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with is the new log feature. If you find a cache and want to post it from the field you no longer need to enter a log before submitting the cache. Instead the app adds, "Sent from my mobile device." as the log message. If you send them as field notes that's also what shows up as the default log message. So, if you see this in your cache logs, the person is using one of the new smartphone apps and they are simply logging the cache as found. I know that there are other apps for other devices that do similar things, so this isn't about the iPhone vs droid vs whatever. It was simply something new that I noticed.

So, what do you think? Do you think this is good or bad? What are your thoughts on logging in general? Do you see people use the "default" message to log in in the field, but then update it when they get home?
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally the ones I have noticed have just used the basic message from the phone. I haven't noyiced any changes to logs later. I was curious though why/how it allows it to leave just that basic message and not allow a person to edit the log on the phone.
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it's the same thing, but I can post a field note with Geocache Navigator on my Symbian phone. It simply says something like "Logged from Geocahe Navigator". Later when I go through my field notes one by one posting the logs, I replace the default note with whatever I want in the log. This helps a ton. I used to frequently forget to post a log on a cache I visited.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
I was curious though why/how it allows it to leave just that basic message and not allow a person to edit the log on the phone.

I can't speak for other apps, but the iPhone app does allow the user to change the message if they would like. However if they don't change it, the app just uses the default.

seamusbleu wrote:
I'm not sure it's the same thing, but I can post a field note with Geocache Navigator on my Symbian phone. It simply says something like "Logged from Geocahe Navigator". Later when I go through my field notes one by one posting the logs, I replace the default note with whatever I want in the log. This helps a ton. I used to frequently forget to post a log on a cache I visited.

I like that feature as well with the iPhone app. However a new quirk is that if you drop a TB or post a pic from the app, it logs the cache "live" and not through the field notes. So my first cache with the phone had the default message. I have since updated it though.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím not overly concerned about this. From what Iíve seen, the iphone doesnít work at many of my cache locations. I hear that new G4 thing is even worse. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: