MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin GPSMAP 78 vs GPSMAP 62
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Garmin GPSMAP 78 vs GPSMAP 62 Reply with quote

Ok I know there are those that swear on their 60 and those that swear on their 76.

So I'm trying to do the serious comparison between the two and from what I can see, the new 78 has more capability than the 62.

Only looking at the base units (since the upgrades are all about maps)

Both are base priced at $349.99 (although both can be found cheaper elsewhere)

The 72 is slightly wider but shorter and thinner than the 62

Both have identical screens (resolution and type)

The 72 is lighter by 2 ounces (big deal)

Same batteries and battery life

Same GPS chipset

Both are waterproof but the 72 floats, the 62 doesn't (plus for the 72 maybe)

Both come with the Worldwide Base map and can upload additional maps.

Both come with a 1.7GB build-in memory

The 78 has expandable memory with SD cards (at least 4GB card) BIG PLUS HERE FOR THOSE THAT LIKE ALL OF THE MAPS LOADED

The rest of the specs between the two units are identical.

Only other real difference to me is the location of the buttons. The 62 has the buttons below the screen and the 78 above.

So given that the only real difference seems to be that the 78 floats and can have additional memory, what am I missing?????
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPSMAP 78 vs GPSMAP 62 Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:

The 78 has expandable memory with SD cards (at least 4GB card) BIG PLUS HERE FOR THOSE THAT LIKE ALL OF THE MAPS LOADED

The 62s (or upgrade) isn't just about the maps. It also has expandable memory with SD cards, gives you an electronic compass (tilt-compensated, 3-axis) and a barometric altimeter. To get those last two options on the 78 you also need to get the maps and go with the 78sc.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPSMAP 78 vs GPSMAP 62 Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
Arcticabn wrote:

The 62s (or upgrade) isn't just about the maps. It also has expandable memory with SD cards, gives you an electronic compass (tilt-compensated, 3-axis) and a barometric altimeter. To get those last two options on the 78 you also need to get the maps and go with the 78sc.

OK but unless you are a flyer you really don't need the 3 axis compass or the barometer. Neither provide us anything as geocachers.

Both 78 versions come with 1.7Gig of memory and an SD card slot. The 62st only comes with 500Meg.

Best I can tell the 78 and the 62s are have the most similarities. That being they both have all of the same specs with the exception that the 78 floats and costs $100 less.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPSMAP 78 vs GPSMAP 62 Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
OK but unless you are a flyer you really don't need the 3 axis compass or the barometer. Neither provide us anything as geocachers.

I think not having to hold your GPSr flat while searching for a cache is kind of nice.
Jasowac
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 62s comes with 1.7G of internal memory, and the 62st comes with only 500meg...this is because the 62st comes preloaded with U.S. Topo 100K. Both have expandable memory to 4Gigs...and the topo that comes on the 62st only takes up about 600 tiles or so. I don't know what the tile limit is on the 62, but probably around 4,000 like the oregon.

the 62 series should have a better antennae than the 78.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasowac wrote:
the 62 series should have a better antennae than the 78.

Why do you say that?
Jasowac
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know I am a newbie around here, and maybe I am wrong...but a bigger antenna will mean better aperature and better gain, and I assume the 62 series will have a bigger antennae since there is a big freakin knob sticking out of it. There also seems to be some debate that the quad helix antenna is better than the patch antenna, but I think most agree the quad helix does better under heavy forest canopy.

Let me know if I am incorrect, I am just going off what I read.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the two series use the same antenna. The 78 series (like the 76 series) just has a bigger case around it to ensure that it floats.
Jasowac
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpsfix.com took one apart:

has a patch antenna.

the 62 of course has the very well advertised quad-helix. From FCC.gov:
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all I can say about the sensitivity is on the 76 and now the 78.

I can sit in my basement at my office desk. It is 10' away from a 3x4 window and I can lock up 10 sats. That's pretty sensitive to me.

Back when I had my original 76 it would lose sats if you dropped it below the windshield in the car (i.e. put it on your lap or in a cup holder).

So far I'm very impress with the 78.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There ya go, I learned something today.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Well all I can say about the sensitivity is on the 76 and now the 78.

I can sit in my basement at my office desk. It is 10' away from a 3x4 window and I can lock up 10 sats. That's pretty sensitive to me.

Back when I had my original 76 it would lose sats if you dropped it below the windshield in the car (i.e. put it on your lap or in a cup holder).

So far I'm very impress with the 78.

My 60's can do the same thing. All of the lesser GPSrs I've ever owned could not. And outside above my window is a large deck providing even more obstruction. Sweet.

Having said that, I noticed that both of my 60's have been struggling to get good reception lately. Is there something going on up there preventing sat lock? I'd say the last two months my GPSrs actually have to be sitting on the dash in order to maintain lock.
Jasowac
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prior to flying an aircraft using GPS you need to check the current status of the GPS network for poor performing satellites. You then deselect these "unreliable" satellites so that your GPSr doesn't attempt to connect with the "bad" sattelite. I am not sure how many GPSrs have the ability to deselect certain satellites, but satellite #25 has had pseudo random noise reports ever since Dec 18, 2009.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasowac wrote:
prior to flying an aircraft using GPS you need to check the current status of the GPS network for poor performing satellites. You then deselect these "unreliable" satellites so that your GPSr doesn't attempt to connect with the "bad" sattelite. I am not sure how many GPSrs have the ability to deselect certain satellites, but satellite #25 has had pseudo random noise reports ever since Dec 18, 2009.

Where do you go to find this information? It would be interesting to track over time with the new satellites being launched.
Jasowac
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTAMs is short for Notice To Airmen. Prior to going to an airport you you check to see if there are going to be any problems flying there...such as runway closures, light out of service, approach systems that are down, etc.

Well to check the GPS system, you go to a NOTAM service and type "KGPS" into the airport code. You will then recieve all GPS "NOTAMs"

Here is the website that I use:

https://www.notams.jcs.mil/

you will probably get a security warning, and you will need to click to continue.

Type "KGPS" into the text box in the upper left corner.
Then click "View NOTAMs"

right now it says:

Quote:
12/064 - NAV GLOBAL POSITION SYSTEM PSEUDO RANDOM NOISE 25 U/S. 18 DEC 15:00 2009 UNTIL
UFN. CREATED: 15 DEC 15:18 2009
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: