MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hiding a New Cache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polarone
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Hiding a New Cache Reply with quote

I have never hidden a cache. So, I have been thinking about hidding one however I do not know what the best way is to do that. What is the best way to make sure that I am not to close to any other caches in the area?
The only way that I can think would be to load local caches in the area into my GPS and then add the waypoint that I want. Then see where it is compared to the other caches.
Is there a map or program that I am missing on the Geocaching site that I can see the other caches and add the point to see where the cache I want to hide is compared to the others?

Thanks, PolarOne
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarone, Try this, it might help a lot. Download Googleearth from your GC personal page ("My Account Details"). This program allows you to zoom into any area you want down to street level. It also shows where the geocaches are on the satellite photo too.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby3 wrote:
Polarone, Try this, it might help a lot. Download Googleearth from your GC personal page ("My Account Details"). This program allows you to zoom into any area you want down to street level. It also shows where the geocaches are on the satellite photo too.

Usually the geocache locations shown in Google Earth are way off, at least for me. Still, they usually help me get an idea of what geocaches are in the area. Sometimes I enter the exact coordinates into Google Earth and then measure distances to see if there's room for another cache.

I also load neighboring caches into the GPS and then use that when looking for hiding spots to see if I'm far enough away. When I find a good spot, I look for nearby caches and it tells me how far I am from the nearest one.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PolarOne, I usually try to have all the other geocaches in the area in my GPS when I go to hide one. I wander around for a while and make sure nothing is within .10 and place the cache.

I do something like what Gilby suggests with maps (I don't use Google Earth though) and check out locations basd on topo and other maps to see if a possible area might be more fun than others Wink

Good luck w/the hide! Smile
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also be aware of multi-caches and puzzle caches in the area. Unless you have already found them, you won't know where all of the stages are and they could effect your cache placement.
Polarone
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I am hoping to get one out soon. I have had several ready to hide for some time but just have not found a great place to put them.
Red_Swingline
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Still trying... Reply with quote

We are new to this. Me, my ten year-old son and my seven year-old daughter are the 'we'. We didn't realize all the effort it was going to take to place a cache. We have tried to place a cache in two different places and had them both temporarily disabled. Embarassed While it's comforting to know that there are rules and regulations to follow, to keep the great state of Minnesota and it's people safe from potential harm, it's deeply aggravating as well. When we placed it the latest time, our GPS didn't read the two closest hides. We also didn't realize at the time, that we needed to ask permission from the city. When we did ask permission from the city, and moved it, we were still too close to the next cache. We don't have an expensive GPS and no one sitting at home to call to enter the coordinates online to help us place it 528 feet from another cache. I am getting disenchanted with the prospect of placing a cache. Any new suggestions, since the latest were given almost four years ago to the day? Question
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The days of going out and hiding a cache, assuming there are no others hidden nearby are long gone. It is essential that you know where all the nearby caches are hidden before hiding your own.

Once you have coordinates for your proposed hide, create the cache listing. Before you submit it, click on the "find all nearby caches" link on your cache page. If anything shows up less than 528 feet, your chance of getting it published are close to zero.

Of course you can still be tripped up by a puzzle or multi-cache that isn't at its posted coordinates.

It is also important that you know about the restrictions placed on geocaching by various parks departments and land managers. Unfortunately, more and more agencies are adopting them. I keep a list of known issues at http://www.bitatatime.net/surferjoe/land_management.html. The MnGCA keeps a similar list on their site.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get the hiding bug, I generally have an idea where I want to place stuff, and will look over the gc.com maps first to get a feel for space and availibility. Also double check to see if any particular restrictions are in place or rules that need following (see surfer joe's list or MNGCA list). Then I load up all caches in that paticular area, active and "disabled" as well as any solved puzzles (assuming I can solve them Shocked) into my gpsr and then head out with my bag of containers.

When hiding, I typically get to the area I am looking at and stroll around looking for a nice spot to stash the cache, and then double check the gpsr to make sure there are not any caches within the distance I am hoping to make the hide.

Puzzles unsolved can trip me up if I get to close but that is just part of the game...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrest wrote:
When I get the hiding bug, I generally have an idea where I want to place stuff, and will look over the gc.com maps first to get a feel for space and availibility. Also double check to see if any particular restrictions are in place or rules that need following (see surfer joe's list or MNGCA list). Then I load up all caches in that paticular area, active and "disabled" as well as any solved puzzles (assuming I can solve them Shocked) into my gpsr and then head out with my bag of containers.

When hiding, I typically get to the area I am looking at and stroll around looking for a nice spot to stash the cache, and then double check the gpsr to make sure there are not any caches within the distance I am hoping to make the hide.

Puzzles unsolved can trip me up if I get to close but that is just part of the game...

I do precisely the same thing. Though I admit that my days of hiding caches in the metro are probably over. Too saturated. All of my new hides in rural settings and I more or less know where everything is, even if I haven't yet found them.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be discouraged! The easiest thing to do is load all the nearby caches into your gps and when you find a good spot to hide a cache, make sure that all caches in your gps are .1 or farther away from you.

Then, like Surfer Joe said, double check before you submit the cache by clicking the link near the bottom of your cache page to make sure the coordinates are .1 or more away from other caches.
Code:
Find...
* ...other caches  hidden  or  found  by this user
* ...nearby caches of this type, that I haven't found
* ...[b]all nearby caches[/b], that I haven't found
* ...all nearby waymarks on Waymarking.com 

Example: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=44.81174&lng=-93.518887

Of course, your cache won't show up when you do this because it is not published yet and puzzles or multis won't show up either but it will tell you the nearest cache to yours.

One important thing is to always use your gps to get your coordinates. Some make the mistake of trying to use Google maps to get coordinates and it usually only leads to frustration for you and the people trying to find your cache.

So just remember that everyone who hides caches goes through this and once you get the first few hidden, it will come easier. You can always ask for more help on the forum if needed.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the suggestions above, and something to remember is that the metro areas, be it the twin cities, Duluth, Rochester, etc, are generally very cache dense. So when hiding in a more populated area, the odds of there already being a cache where you think is a good spot is high. But as stated we all have this issue, so don't be discouraged. It just means you can't be like KB and slingshot film containers out your car window as you drive anymore. Wink
Hal-oween
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The geocaching.com site lists helpful info in detail but a couple of points worth emphasizing:
If you are really new at the game, try finding a variety of different caches (type/difficulty/terrain/container) so you can see what makes a good hide before you take the plunge.
Check the county GIS sites to make sure you aren't tresspassing on private property. There are links here at MNGCA.
Make sure your GPSr has been on awhile and has a good accuracy reading before marking your coordinates.
Please take several readings to double check the coordinates before submitting your cache.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all good suggestions with looking at the maps -- since I have an iphone I can also do this in the field which is nice.

What can be frustrating still is the multis and the puzzle caches. You pretty much need to find all of these in a park if you want to hide there and then guesstimate and/or mark waypoints on them to make sure you are not too close to any of the stages since those don't display accurately on the maps. When puzzle hides have the "real" location in a different park 2-3 miles away -- that adds to the difficulty. I appreciate when puzzle hiders have their dummy coords in the same park. : ) Or when they put their finals in otherwise "useless" small nooks of nature like pfalstad often does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: