MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oakdale Geocaching Training and Demonstration
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Oakdale Geocaching Training and Demonstration Reply with quote

The City of Oakdale would like to have a geocaching demonstration booth (for lack of a better term) during their spring event at the Oakdale Discovery Center (located in Oakdale Park. I offered to help set it up, and Grey Wolf said he might help, just wondering if anyone else was willing to take people out and hunt three or four temp caches? It's scheduled for Saturday May 9th (or May 10 if May 9 is rained out).

Also, they would like to have a Geocaching 101 course, similar to what we did at REI, with a classroom course and then a in the field course (I think we have done stuff like this with Roseville before). If anyone has the REI or your own presentations, I'd love to see them.

Finally, On Sunday June 28 at 6 P.M. they asked if we would want to take part in their "Summer Outdoor Speakers" event which is something new they are doing each Sunday. It will be in an outdoor setting, and they would like an hour or so presentation. This one I'm not too sure about how to handle, as the presentation will be in an outdoor amphitheater and without having a projector, I'm not sure how to fill an hour (if I can't do slides of some kind).... any thoughts from others would be helpful...I was thinking maybe a panel of cachers who could talk about some of their favorite caches, and discuss what they like about caching?? Open to, and looking for some ideas.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Cooky (and on one occasion Cooky and I) was doing the REI presentations, he did not rely on any power point slideshow. Instead he had sample cache page print outs, examples of caches, GPSrs to show, and of course his lively, animated self.

REI also provided a large writing tablet and markers for use which worked out well.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
When Cooky (and on one occasion Cooky and I) was doing the REI presentations, he did not rely on any power point slideshow. Instead he had sample cache page print outs, examples of caches, GPSrs to show, and of course his lively, animated self.

REI also provided a large writing tablet and markers for use which worked out well.

Ok, that is a good idea, I'll see if they can provide a Easel and Tablet. I'm very happy to see a city embrace Geocaching like Oakdale is doing. They haven't mentioned any regulation to me, it sounds like they see the many benefits of Caching and are trying to encourage people to take up the hobby.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update that May 9th (or 10th if 9th is a rain day) from 10-4 is a park event at the Oakdale Nature Park. They asked for some people to do a geocaching display and to take people out after 2 or so temp caches, to give park goers a taste of caching. If anyone has some free time and can help, I wouldn't mind one or two more people, so that we can maybe do some shifts, and give people a break, or only have to work part of the day.

Thanks.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still only have one person to help on Saturday, if anyone else could come help (even for an hour or two) it would allow us to take a break and help out. Lots of activities going on at the event, so bring your family and have some fun yourself!!
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Still only have one person to help on Saturday, if anyone else could come help (even for an hour or two) it would allow us to take a break and help out. Lots of activities going on at the event, so bring your family and have some fun yourself!!

I might be able and willing to help, I would just need to know more information on what you are looking for, what I should bring, when and where.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
I might be able and willing to help, I would just need to know more information on what you are looking for, what I should bring, when and where.

I'll print up some info, I just need a few people to be willing to take people out to find two or three temp caches. We'll hide a few, and then when people come by, we will go with them to find "find" the caches.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone finds themselves with some free time and wants to stop by and help out for an hour or two, again it runs from 10-4 on Saturday (Sunday if Saturday is rainy), and we will be located at:
The Oakdale nature park on Hadley, park as close to the park enterence as you can (by the old school house). Go up the main trail near the new discovery center, and where the path comes to a T (100 feet beyond the discovery center) is where we will be.

Thank you.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
If anyone finds themselves with some free time and wants to stop by and help out for an hour or two, again it runs from 10-4 on Saturday (Sunday if Saturday is rainy), and we will be located at:
The Oakdale nature park on Hadley, park as close to the park enterence as you can (by the old school house). Go up the main trail near the new discovery center, and where the path comes to a T (100 feet beyond the discovery center) is where we will be.

Thank you.

I should be there. I might get lost though since I know nothing about this area, I do not have coords or an address. I will more than likely grab a state park before I get there.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
sir_zman wrote:

Thank you.

I should be there. I might get lost though since I know nothing about this area, I do not have coords or an address. I will more than likely grab a state park before I get there.

Aaah how stupid of me...you are absolutely correct.
Parking will be on Hadley Ave, around here:
Degrees: 45.01242 -92.96396
Minutes: N 45 00.745 W 92 57.838
Seconds: N 45 0' 44.71'' W 92 57' 50.26''
UTM: 15T E 502840 N 4984331

And we will be stationed here:
Degrees: 45.01249 -92.96715
Minutes: N 45 00.749 W 92 58.029
Seconds: N 45 0' 44.96'' W 92 58' 1.74''
UTM: 15T E 502589 N 4984338
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can give that in a couple of other formats too (maybe Maidenhead for starters?), for those that aren't used to the 9 billion ones you used... Cool
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Maybe you can give that in a couple of other formats too (maybe Maidenhead for starters?), for those that aren't used to the 9 billion ones you used... Cool

Haha.

My lat/long finder program (http://www.sirzman.com/gc/llf.cfm) spits out a decimal degree format, but people complained that thats not they way their GPS's take coords, so I what I started doing (several years ago) was using GSAK to convert it; so I just copy paste the corrds into a new "Child Waypoint" and then it converts it in less than a second, and I copy and paste the output. This way people can choose what ever format they perfer....ok granted I could probably leave out UTM, but this is the way I put out all my coords (see my previous WNC posts).
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I'm just giving you a hard time. Thanks for doing the volunteer work!
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge thank you to Grey Wolf and Jam3s for helping out, we had a good turn out, and I think lots of people learned about caching, several of which sounded like they would try it out.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Huge thank you to Grey Wolf and Jam3s for helping out, we had a good turn out, and I think lots of people learned about caching, several of which sounded like they would try it out.

I think that ALL of us had a blast! I am sure glad that I went!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: