MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rumors of a new Garmin Handheld?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Rumors of a new Garmin Handheld? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has heard of an upcoming release of a newer version of the Oregon?

I'm thinking of upgrading to an Oregon 450 for its 5,000 geocache capacity, but I noticed that the last new handheld was released in May of 2009. I'd like to wait if something new is on the way. I didn't see anything in the news, but I figured someone here may know...
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about Garmin's intentions. However ... the Colorado series is currently a step behind the Oregon series. One would think they'd do a catch up or leapfrog.

I enjoy using both my relatively new Oregon 550t & my Colorado 400t. I do wish I had the Oregon's faster boot up, quicker download & three axis compass in a Colorado form factor. The Oregon's camera is kind of hand too.

The Colorado is now a discontinued product on Garmin's website! (There are probably some great deals out there on old new stock.) Hmm ... Not everyone wants touch screen & the Colorado's Shuttle Wheel was a great interface. [The newer SiRFstarIII chipset has yet to make an appearance in Garmin products Edit: I stand corrected below] ... The stage is set!

The Garmin GPSMAP 78's with 3-axis compass, geocaching mode, paperless geocaching & wireless data transfer to the likes of Oregon's & Colorado's is due out 2nd quarter 2010. This is a marine friendly GPS series. One has to wonder if there will be a back country topo version or something new.

Added:
I did a quick search on the net & came up with this pricing on the Colorado 400t
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00128HHZA/?tag=tbook-20
List Price: $599.99
Price: $599.88
Sale: $278.88
You Save: $321.11 (54%)

Last edited by The Hipster on Thu May 06, 2010 3:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hipster wrote:
The newer SiRFstarIII chipset has yet to make an appearance in Garmin products ... The stage is set!

I don't think that's true. I'm pretty sure my 60CSx is the sirfstar3. They just advertise it as "High-sensitivity receiver".
roylake
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some 60CSX have the Sirf-StarIII and some have the MediaTek. Both are high sensitivity chipsets. There was some kind of patent issues with the Sirf-StarIII that caused garmin switch to the MediaTek. Not sure which one they are using now. I just picked one up last month. I have heard that the 60CSX is now discontinued.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin has a press release from 2005 advertising the use of the SiRFstariii in a range of devices.

Mediatek claimed in May of 2009 that their product had now been selected for use by Garmin including in the GPSMAP 60 series.

Garmin still advertises the 60 series on their website.
roylake
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin still does list the 60csx on the website as current and the 60 and 60cs as discontinued. One of the cachers at the 10 year event in Bemidji was at the Garmin Store in Chicago and was told by the salesman that the 60CSX was or is being discontinued. I heard it from someone else in March that is was discontinued. It would be a shame if Garmin discontinued it. I bought mine last month from Cabelas for 199.00 at a door buster sale.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone! I ended up not waiting. Picked up an Oregon 450 to replace the Oregon 300.
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now it looks like there will be a GPSMAP 62 line come July.

I'm not that familiar with the 60 line. Aren't they quite a bit bigger than the Oregon's? Still, if it has all the plusses of the Oregon/Dakotah line plus a sunshine readable display, I might have to buy one.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see they are putting out an update to the 60 line. It's still their best GPSr line. Wink
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
I'm glad to see they are putting out an update to the 60 line. It's still their best GPSr line. Wink

Why the wink. I think you are right on! Very Happy
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:

Exactly, I love my 60Cx and have no plans to buy an Oregon, Colorado, Dakota or Minnesota!
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

Exactly, I love my 60Cx and have no plans to buy an Oregon, Colorado, Dakota or Minnesota!

Welllllll...now a Minnesota would probably be far superior (snort, get it?) and have a sunlight readable touch screen display that doesn't scratch.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seamusbleu wrote:
And now it looks like there will be a GPSMAP 62 line come July.

I knew that as soon as I bought a new GPS Garmin would announce a new version. Laughing
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear the new Garmin "Minnesota" has a built-in handwarmer. Embarassed
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dances With Beehives wrote:
I hear the new Garmin "Minnesota" has a built-in handwarmer. Embarassed

I heard it was going to have a built in ice scraper but they scratched that idea. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: