MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2010 Spring Meeting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: 2010 Spring Meeting Reply with quote

Why is there no announcement her that the Spring meeting may be/is being relocated? I would expect that at least some of the people planning to go once it was posted at Groundspeak would not be rechecking that. It is still shown on the home page here as in place.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far be it for me to speak for the board or the event committee as I'm not part of either, but my guess is they are working on the situation. The event committee and board are there to setup these events. If something does happen, give them time to research the issue and report back. This is what we pay them to do. Wink Personally, I don't see a need for a discussion on the matter as that just further complicates whatever the situation is.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are working on an issue that will either cause the event to be relocated or more MnGCA funds being spent to hold event at current location. It was something that was brought to the attention of the event committee after location was chosen. More to follow.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
We are working on an issue that will either cause the event to be relocated or more MnGCA funds being spent to hold event at current location. It was something that was brought to the attention of the event committee after location was chosen. More to follow.

Interesting..
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:

Sounds like the state parks is getting greedy. We already pay admission to get in, plus the taxes we now pay. Do they understand if the event is canceled/relocated, they will lose money?
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I missed it...what is the issue???
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
minnesotabrad wrote:

Sounds like the state parks is getting greedy. We already pay admission to get in, plus the taxes we now pay. Do they understand if the event is canceled/relocated, they will lose money?

It is not that the parks are getting greedy. The parks are not asking any more money it is a requirement that they now have which we ran into with another park system last year when looking to have an event there.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:

Liability insurance which the State Parks now require for large group events.
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this would help, or if it is an option...but when I rented a community center for a family party, I was able to do the liability through my homeowner's policy...didn't cost me anything.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
ArcherDragoon wrote:

Ah, I see...

Sadly, more and more locations require such documentation. It is just a matter of everyone wanting to make sure their butts are covered. I certainly can not hold it against the parks for wanting that. Basically, they are all just trying to protect against "stupid"...basic policy & procedure...1st...try to reduce/eliminate risk...2nd...if you can't reduce or eliminate it...pass it on...Groups and their actions are out of their control so the logical thing to do is pass the risk onto the group...

As dmnrec stated...a "quick fix" is having an individual use their homeowners insurance...course, that would require someone being comfortable with that.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
Rustynails wrote:
minnesotabrad wrote:

It is not that the parks are getting greedy. The parks are not asking any more money it is a requirement that they now have which we ran into with another park system last year when looking to have an event there.

Cough cough.. Dakota County.. Cough cough..
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
ArcherDragoon wrote:

Maybe it is now the time for MNGCA to bite the bullet & include a group liability insurance policy in the annual budget. I know it was frustrating planning the fall 2009 event/meeting when the liability issue appeared. If we had an umbrella policy then each individual committee would not have to worry about it. More venues would be open to us. If possible, it should be written to cover any MNGCA sponsored event. At the least one should cover the spring & fall events

Last edited by The Hipster on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
Don't know if this would help, or if it is an option...but when I rented a community center for a family party, I was able to do the liability through my homeowner's policy...didn't cost me anything.

Although you are correct that that can be done that would put someone personally liable for the org and I don't think that's a wise thing for any one member to take on. Not that I think anything will happen, but I would hate for someone to lose their home over something silly like geocaching. Wink
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
dmnrec wrote:

Although you are correct that that can be done that would put someone personally liable for the org and I don't think that's a wise thing for any one member to take on. Not that I think anything will happen, but I would hate for someone to lose their home over something silly like geocaching. Wink

Although I'm not an insurance salesman, I'm guessing that one person taking out the policy through adding a rider to their homeowner's policy would simply cover that one person, not the entire board or organization.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hipster wrote:
minnesotabrad wrote:
ArcherDragoon wrote:

Maybe it is now the time for MNGCA to bite the bullet & include a group liability insurance policy in the annual budget. I know it was frustrating planning the fall 2009 event/meeting with the liability issue appeared. If we had an umbrella policy then each individual committee would not have to worry about it. More venues would be open to us. If possible, it should be written to cover any MNGCA sponsored event. At the least one should cover the spring & fall events

It may be time to bite the bullet. I think the size of the bullet is going to be rather large.

Regardless of what happens for this particular event, this may be a good topic of discussion in the member's area of the forums with perhaps some followup at the Spring Meeting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: