MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visitor looking for winter caching spots

View previous topic :: View next topic  
egnix
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Visitor looking for winter caching spots Reply with quote

Howdy there!
I will be going to Roseville the weekend of the 20th and would like to do some caching while I'm in the area. While it looks like there are a lot of great areas to cache, I'm having trouble finding spots with a good number of winter-friendly caches. Sure there's the winter-friendly cache attribute, but not all cache pages use attributes.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. I thought about hitting one or more of the parks along the river after I land and then some parks closer to Roseville (where I'll be staying) when time allows. Looks like there's a lot of parks near the lakes north of Roseville.

I'm looking for parks where I can do some light hiking and hit a number of caches and not have to drive all over stopping for one cache here, one cache there, etc.

Any suggestions?
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Visitor looking for winter caching spots Reply with quote

egnix wrote:
Howdy there!
I will be going to Roseville the weekend of the 20th and would like to do some caching while I'm in the area. While it looks like there are a lot of great areas to cache, I'm having trouble finding spots with a good number of winter-friendly caches. Sure there's the winter-friendly cache attribute, but not all cache pages use attributes.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. I thought about hitting one or more of the parks along the river after I land and then some parks closer to Roseville (where I'll be staying) when time allows. Looks like there's a lot of parks near the lakes north of Roseville.

I'm looking for parks where I can do some light hiking and hit a number of caches and not have to drive all over stopping for one cache here, one cache there, etc.

Any suggestions?

I would suggest running a pocket query, including only caches that have been found in the last 7 days. Of course, if we get more snow in that 7-day timeframe, all bets are off.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are willing to come out to Eden Prairie the One Ring series of 6 is all winter friendly and will give you about a 2 hour hike through the woods if you park and enjoy the whole walk. GC2366T is the one ring and there are 5 "Wizards" to find prior.

Two other ideas -- do a query for new caches -- if it's hidden in winter, you can usually find it in winter.

Or look at the Weeknight caching or friday nite caching threads on this board and see where they went. You'll get to winter friendly hides that are clustered together. I follow them (and their footprints) everywhere . . .

Have fun!!
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a whole series of WF caches in the Prior Lake area just published. Some are clustered together in a park, and some involve driving. All start with SMWF.
egnix
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions!

Anything N/NE of the the cities?
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't have to worry about winter friendly, thanks to about 4 days of rain and warm temps virtually all the snow is gone now, and what little is left won't be an issue. Doesn't mean we won't get a blizzard tomorrow, our weather is just like that, but my guess is you'll just need some good waterproof shoes/boots as everything is super soggy right now.
egnix
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear. Thanks!
Lx2
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of suggestions: Easter 2009 we walked around Langton Lake in Roseville. Great parking near GCTWEB Trail of Black Druid. Walk the trail around the lake to collect a total of 5 caches (1 of them is premium cache). Also, there is a county bike/walking trail about 5 minutes west of Snelling and County Rd C in Roseville. You can collect 5 caches on this trail (1 is premium cache). One end of the trail you will find GC1YQH0 Heavy Treasure and the other end is GC1WXND Diagonal Cache. Parking in the cemetry is ok. If you park at "The Pub" and walk across New Brighton Blvd (Hwy 8Cool and cross over the bridge you will find a trail access. You can go either right or left on the trail. There are clever hides in either direction. Have fun Roseville is a fun place to cache!
egnix
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

The ticks and mosquitoes wouldn't be out yet, would they be?
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no creepy crawlies yet. Just soggy weather and ground. Supposedly we are supposed to see some snow flakes this afternoon but tomorrow in the 40's and Sunday in the 50's so enjoy!
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ticks and mosquitoes wouldn't be out yet, would they be?

last night i found a cache by detroit lakes (west central) and while driving home i found a TICK crawling across my hand...that is the earliest i have ever seen one of them.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen bees AND snakes already --crazy!! so yes I would imagine there could be ticks but probably not a lot.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ticks are temperature sensitive, so once it get's above 50ish there's a chance you'll find one. I picked up a tick a few years ago in December while in DC. They had a couple warm days in a row around 55. So, I don't think I'd say the ticks aren't out yet. I'd bet they are starting to come out. Mosquitoes though probably wouldn't be out yet as they need warm still water. We don't have much of that yet. What water is open is still very cold.

From http://www.tahd.org/ticks.htm#winter

Quote:
Where do ticks go during the winter months?

Nowhere!

* They are protected from the cold in tall grass, leaf litter, woods, shrubs, etc.
* They die at the end of their two-year life cycle.
* Adult males die once they mate. (on a deer in late fall)
* Adult females die once they lay their eggs. (early spring)
* Those ticks that have not found suitable hosts may continue searching for a blood meal needed to complete their life cycle throughout the winter.
They will continue to feed if the temperature is above 35 degrees!

loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it's time to start carrying the bug spray in the vehicle again.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured MNMizzou would chime in on the tick topic. Wink

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/deer-ticks-out-early-this-year-march-18-2010
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: