MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jay Cooke
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Jay Cooke Reply with quote

i had a long conversation with the naturalist at Jay Cooks while at the Fair yesterday. I had asked her about what we could do about the cache. I was pleased and yes, a bit surprised how much thought that they have put into getting the cache active. They figure that the park will open the end of October.
The big problem is that the park is closed in it's entirety and to compound that there are police lines in Carlton and Thompson that prevent people getting even close to the park boundary. The far eastern border is a 25 mile round trip for the managers to get to.
the last resort that we want to do is pull the cache from the program so If any one has any good ideas PM me with them and I will pass them on. If Pearhead of Esko have any time to scope out the situation they would love to hear from them.
I will try to keep you updated here.
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the terrain level to 10 Laughing
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Jay Cooke Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
If any one has any good ideas PM me with them and I will pass them on.

Why don't they place the Jay Cooke cache in the nearest State Park or on the nearest State Trail that is open? You could end up with two caches in the same park, one that doesn't really belong there, but it is a better option than pulling the cache and it's associated bird card out of the game.
threenow24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the park's going to re-open in a couple more months I'd say just leave it disabled until then. I will be going by there Labor Day weekend and had planned to make a stop but saw it was still shut down. Too bad, because I doubt I'll be back before the series ends.
If the park would remain closed until next year sometime I'd say yeah, move it, but two more months? Just wait it out.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

threenow24 wrote:
If the park's going to re-open in a couple more months I'd say just leave it disabled until then. I will be going by there Labor Day weekend and had planned to make a stop but saw it was still shut down. Too bad, because I doubt I'll be back before the series ends.
If the park would remain closed until next year sometime I'd say yeah, move it, but two more months? Just wait it out.

It will be closed beyond Labor Day for sure.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Jay Cooke Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
i had a long conversation with the naturalist at Jay Cooks while at the Fair yesterday. I had asked her about what we could do about the cache. I was pleased and yes, a bit surprised how much thought that they have put into getting the cache active. They figure that the park will open the end of October.
The big problem is that the park is closed in it's entirety and to compound that there are police lines in Carlton and Thompson that prevent people getting even close to the park boundary. The far eastern border is a 25 mile round trip for the managers to get to.
the last resort that we want to do is pull the cache from the program so If any one has any good ideas PM me with them and I will pass them on. If Pearhead of Esko have any time to scope out the situation they would love to hear from them.

I don't have time to really scope out the situation (it's quite a drive for me), but I'm wondering if there's access from MN23?

Could the cache be placed on either the Spruce or High trails?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Jay Cooke Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:

Or by Highline? Wink

I don't have time to really scope out the situation (it's quite a drive for me), but I'm wondering if there's access from MN23?

andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Jay Cooke Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:

I had asked them that too but the park is closed and it would have to on other property. That is also the 25 mile round trip from there offices.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jay Cooke Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:

I had asked them that too but the park is closed and it would have to on other property. That is also the 25 mile round trip from there offices.

If they can't hide it on any of the park property then it really limits their options (to about 0). I'd say excuse it from the program for the duration of this program.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are indeed reopening the park at the end of October 2012 then I would join the camp of just wait it out until then, if they need to relocate it within the park because of damage I'm guessing that the reviewers will be accommodating in helping them if necessary. Even if they don't make the Oct. goal and let's say it's Dec. or January, that still gives folks another spring season if they don't want to visit in the winter time.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
If they are indeed reopening the park at the end of October 2012 then I would join the camp of just wait it out until then, if they need to relocate it within the park because of damage I'm guessing that the reviewers will be accommodating in helping them if necessary. Even if they don't make the Oct. goal and let's say it's Dec. or January, that still gives folks another spring season if they don't want to visit in the winter time.

From what I'm gathering here, there is NO part of the park you can legally access, even though some areas are (I'm guessing) physically accessible (such as MN23).

The problem is that if you reinstate the cache near the end of next year you'll have a number of people who already cleared this corner of the state out, but now need to make a special trip up here when the cache is reinstated just to get one cache. If you live in the SW corner of the state then this will be quite a burden.

Why penalize someone who's done all of the proper planning and gotten everything else? This takes some of the family-friendly out of the program. For some people this isn't unreasonable, but for some families this is not affordable or realistic to make a special trip just for the cache.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what pearhead said!!!!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
what pearhead said!!!!

Yepper.. even for us geocaching folk that road cruise a lot this is a burden. It would also violate the new DNR mantra about being more green and sustainable. Think of the burnt fuel because of this problem.
Jackrabbitgrad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if they made an alternate cache for the time being that could house the bird cards (maybe the nearest state park). If they cards are already made up and the biome puzzle is already complete (in which you need all the bird cards to solve apparently), then they need to have a way to get them out to people. Have this alternate work as your temporary solution and reinstate the previous (or improved) multi at Jay Cooke when the park reopens. This solves your problem for the people who are working on the series right now and still allows the park to remain part of the series and to invite geocachers back in when the park reopens. I don't know why you would simply give up the park and toss the bird cards.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackrabbitgrad wrote:
It would be nice if they made an alternate cache for the time being that could house the bird cards (maybe the nearest state park). If they cards are already made up and the biome puzzle is already complete (in which you need all the bird cards to solve apparently), then they need to have a way to get them out to people. Have this alternate work as your temporary solution and reinstate the previous (or improved) multi at Jay Cooke when the park reopens. This solves your problem for the people who are working on the series right now and still allows the park to remain part of the series and to invite geocachers back in when the park reopens. I don't know why you would simply give up the park and toss the bird cards.

But what do you gain by finding the Jay Cooke cache at another State Park? You didn't visit the park, which to me is the whole point of the cache. If it's just about finding another cache then there are tons of them out there.

Also, the longer you wait before acting, the more people this will affect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: