MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garden Island 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an FYI......................... the road is plowed to the island. the 1st time in many years that you can drive out that far. i remember being a kid and driving out that far with my grandfather.
was going to head up that way the last 3 weekends, but life got in the way. looks like the window is closing rather fast on that option!!!!

Peace
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the Uffda/Fargnot tour ... I didn't realize just how big that body of water is until I was on it and respecting it. Indeed, Uffda! Have fun planning your adventure. Take time to explore the island and enjoy! If you decide to go via the Northwest Angle, my only advice when crossing the border is to respect the stop signs. It will make the entire journey more enjoyable. Laughing

I like the winter idea also. After days like today, like Joboo said that window is narrowing.

~northtrekker
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northtrekker wrote:
my only advice when crossing the border is to respect the stop signs. It will make the entire journey more enjoyable. Laughing

Aaaah, memories of Winnipeg! Shocked
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never did get this planned properly. Let's try for fall maybe. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll keep you in the loop.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to do a geocaching road trip, I'll have to keep an eye on this next fall, hopefully I can make it fit into my PTO schedule.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I'd love to do a geocaching road trip, I'll have to keep an eye on this next fall, hopefully I can make it fit into my PTO schedule.

We need two more paddlers this weekend.. Wink Wink
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
sir_zman wrote:

We need two more paddlers this weekend.. Wink Wink

I'd be on it, if I didn't have plans
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cache page has been published: http://coord.info/gc2a1hq

It's on for Labor Day weekend!
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun and I would like to do this, but I have other plans that weekend Crying or Very sad .

I would like to cache the north shore 4th of July weekend. If anyone is interested please let me know? Thanks
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwerty2582 wrote:
Cache page has been published: http://coord.info/gc2a1hq

It's on for Labor Day weekend!

You're spending only half an hour on the island? That doesn't seem to leave a ton of time for "Caching, Camaraderie, and Tall-Tales."
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to spend about 3 hours on the island. Get a bonfire going, roast marshmallows, fry up some walleye... but here's the problem - the boat is $70/hr. So while we're on the island, the clock keeps ticking... And since the consensus is to save money, I'm trying to tighten the schedule as much as I can. Now if the participants want to spend more time on the island and everyone's ok with paying more, that's fine with me! Smile

Now I'm getting conflicting reports on how long it takes to get to the island - I'm told 15 minutes, and I'm told 45 minutes. I'm sure part of the variation is the waves on the lake. But if we get there and we have lots of spare time, we may spend more time there (in fact, I hope that happens)

If you'd like to spend more time, you're certainly welcome to bring your own boat and meet us at the island too - then you can spend as much time as you like! The pictures online and descriptions I've read sound like it's a beautiful area!
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwerty2582 wrote:
Now I'm getting conflicting reports on how long it takes to get to the island - I'm told 15 minutes, and I'm told 45 minutes.

It's 45 minutes or so each way. I don't know how anyone could make it there in 15. Maybe if the water was glassy calm, but I'd anticipate a 45min to 1 hour journey each way. That seemed to be the norm when we went. I think we were able to go there and back in about 2.5 hours as I recall. We spent about an hour on the island.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Deb must've made a typo when she told me then Razz

Thanks for the clarification!

With that much work to get there, an hour on the island is probably better - gives us a little more time to enjoy it. I'll probably change the schedule accordingly.

Anybody know anything about getting lunch meats etc. across the border? If they're sealed, has there been a problem? You see where I'm going with this - lunch on the island?
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, It took us about 20 to 25 minutes in a 17' Lund with a 90hp full throttle the entire time with moderate wave chop.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
FYI, It took us about 20 to 25 minutes in a 17' Lund with a 90hp full throttle the entire time with moderate wave chop.

Wow, he must have been hauling. We were on a larger boat and we had 2-4 ft waves the entire time. So, I guess it varies quite a bit more than I had thought. But either way, it's a blast! Have a great time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: