MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garden Island 2010
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Garden Island 2010 Reply with quote

Alright, I'm still working out details, but I'm planning a trip to Garden Island Recreation Area in Lake of the Woods to get the State Park cache there.

Date: Labor Day Weekend!
Cache Page: http://coord.info/gc2a1hq
Information in this thread may be outdated, go to the cache page for the most up-to-date information!

If anyone's interested, post here or send me an e-mail or PM and I'll keep you in the loop as we plan. Be sure to let me know how many people you'd plan to bring. The more the merrier!

Edit: Circumstances are showing this ain't happening for spring. Basically, I didn't have enough of a chance to plan this the way it needs to be planned. Plus everyone's so busy at the beginning of summer - we all know the drill. We'll try for this fall. Again, post here or send me a note if you have interest in a fall trip.

Last edited by qwerty2582 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:57 am; edited 3 times in total
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Garden Island 2010 Reply with quote

qwerty2582 wrote:
The current plan is to rent a pontoon and take to the open lake

Quote:
Also, if you've made the trip and you think I'm completely off-base and/or crazy, please let me know that as well Smile

Yes.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Garden Island 2010 Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

Quote:
Also, if you've made the trip and you think I'm completely off-base and/or crazy, please let me know that as well Smile

Yes.

Some insight you can share, or simply the fact that I'm crazy? Is this an impossible venture without a professional?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Garden Island 2010 Reply with quote

qwerty2582 wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

Quote:

Yes.

Some insight you can share, or simply the fact that I'm crazy? Is this an impossible venture without a professional?

I'm questioning the idea of bringing an open pontoon onto the lake. We went on a day where there was just a slight breeze and I'm here to tell you that the waves get pretty big when you get out on the lake. I'm sure there are probably days when the lake is like glass from one end to the other, but I'm guessing you can count those days each year on one hand.

After my ride out there last year you wouldn't find me on a pontoon, professional or not.

Basically, unless you have the proper-sized boat to make the trip, I'd suggest hiring the professional. This isn't a small lake - it deserves and requires a different amount of respect.

It seems like it would be worth the money to hire someone, especially if you can divide it up among a group. I know there was talk (here I think or on one of the cache pages) that someone had hired a bait dealer to take them out - you may want to look towards that as well.

My $0.02.
uffda320
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Pearhead. The day we went from the Northwest Angle, the waves were pretty rough. I'm glad we had Capt Deb piloting our boat. If you want to launch from the south shore of the lake, I'd hire someone to take you.
Arrive alive!
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight, Pear Head and Uffda. This is why I figured I'd start here before making too many solid plans... I'm far from an expert on these matters...

I'll start researching other ideas... Meanwhile, anyone who's interested in going, please let me know, along with how many people and whether you'd prefer to leave from the south end of the lake or from Angle Inlet...
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I remember from up there was all the boat charters were saying they go from the angle because when you go from that south shore there is some sort of really rough area they equate to the Bermuda Triangle, super rough water for no real reason. I'm guessing if they don't like it it really isn't something an amateur would want to tackle.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like to get this cache as I haven't yet. I would rather do something like this on a three day weekend (ie: Memorial weekend) but I think I already have plans for that one to go up along the shore of Lake superior getting the SP caches along that stretch and even getting up into thunder bay in Canada to grab a few there.

My only problem with the following weekend is that would make a real late night as it's about a 6 1/2 hour drive up there from home, and I wouldn't leave till probably 6-7 at night. I wouldn't get up there till late (or Early) whichever way you look at it. I would probably stop someplace on the way up that night and finish the trip early the next morning. I am guessing you wouldn't leave till at least 9-10 in the morning on Saturday, anyway.

It's a little too early to commit to this, but I might be interested.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be interested as well.
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Garden Island 2010 Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
qwerty2582 wrote:
The current plan is to rent a pontoon and take to the open lake

Quote:

Yes.

I'll add one more just in case ... Don't Do It!

We were bopping along the eastern shore & among the islands in a 52' houseboat. It was decided that we should see some open water & headed west toward the middle ... BAD MISTAKE! The waves get really LARGE out that-a-way. No we did not founder, but possibly would have with a less experienced big water pilot & the fact that we beat it back east toward protective shores pronto! YMMV, but it would be best not to chance it.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the 2008 tour with MNMizzou and gang (the Paklid trip) and even though Captain Debbie said conditions were good (for her 30'+ boat), swells and waves were in excess of 3 to 4' in some places, and we barely hit open water from the north.

I say don't do it. But if you do, make sure you have your life in order first so your families don't suffer financially after you're gone. Crying or Very sad And I mean that mostly in all seriousness and only 25% in gest.
CharleneMae
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband and I went to Garden Island last year with Captain Deb from Angle Inlet. It is best to hire a professional. We hit some 6' swells in areas. She didn't even dock at the island while we cached because the waves were too large on that side. We waved her back in to pick us up when we were done.

At a minimum, you want a large boat with navigation and a radio. Again, I highly suggest a professional. Yes, it can be expensive but the safety of you and your fellow passengers is worth it.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My license and experience make me a bit of a big water expert, and Iíd say if you canít read waves, donít try it, from the south or the angle. I fish similar water in Canada and understand how quick things can change. Smooth as glass on the way out, 6 foot breakers on the way back. Iíve also spent years as captain on Lake Michigan, and all I can say is when those waves start to break over your bow, you better know what to do, and if you let them roll over your stern, youíre in big trouble.

If you are intent on renting a boat and going for it, youíll need more than a pontoon. Gas requirements alone would make that a bit of a challenge. Look for something in the 18í range, Deep V, with a 115hp or 150hp, and a marine radio. Just after breakfast, youíll see lines of boats heading north. Run up with them, letting them cut the water for you. The guy up front will know what he is doing. My point is, donít go alone, up or back.

I went to the island with Deb in a 17í fishing boat and 3-4 foot waves. I was doing all the north western parks at the time and didnít want to pull my boat all over the state. We both had stories of people we had to rescue from situations they never should have been in. Donít be one of them. When I was on the island, looking at the waves hitting the windward side, I was glad we were heading the other way.

Have you considered going next weekend? I think they are forecasting calm, hard water. There is a marked snowmobile trail all the way out to the island. Is that one winter friendly?
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:

Have you considered going next weekend? I think they are forecasting calm, hard water. There is a marked snowmobile trail all the way out to the island. Is that one winter friendly?

I considered it back in January (you know, when it was really freaking cold out... figured the ice would be particularly safe at that point, although being on ice in the middle of a lake still freaks me out a bit), and all of the friends/family I told thought I was crazy and should wait for spring/summer. I thought they were crazy for wanting to wait... And now it's too late - My March is booked up.

My initial water plan was Captain Deb (I've already been in touch with her), but I have a friend who would like to come along that cannot get into Canada, and others that do not have passports. That's why I started exploring this route.

All the experience in this thread is bringing me back to reality, and to the realization that Captain Deb is probably the smartest way to go at the end of the day...

Or perhaps I just need to hire a Rat to pilot the boat Wink

I'm definitely appreciative of all the advice I'm getting here, and I'll definitely keep it in mind! Better safe than sorry!
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go, I'm going to troll my way up, have a nice walleye shore lunch, do a little caching, then troll my way back letting those waves just roll on by. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: