MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

March 2004 Cache of the Month - VOTE HERE

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your choice for March's Cache of the Month is. . .
When Darkness Falls... by Candy Apple Green
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Wild Side by Duch and Appsspec
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
GPS Knowledge Challenge by Arcticabn
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
The Suspense Is Killing Me by Bogeyboy
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 14

towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: March 2004 Cache of the Month - VOTE HERE Reply with quote

It's time to vote! In this post you will find the caches which have been nominated to be the MnGCA March Cache of the Month.

Voting ends on February 29th. Rules for nominations Arrow here. Thanks to nomination submitters!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nomination articles: (in the order they were nominated)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)
When Darkness Falls... (GCHAYC) by Candy Apple Green (nominated by s4xton)
This is one of the most inventive multi-caches in the Twin Cities area. Located in Lilydale Park in Saint Paul, this one likely cannot be accomplished during daylight. Thankfully, the park stays open until 11:00pm. While being winter friendly, it gives you a nice stroll around the shore of the Mississippi. Paved trails can be used for some of the walking. While the 3 options (you'll want to do them all) for the second part of the multi are likely a different style of caching that you've ever done before, the first stage is still rather tricky in it's own right. Finding the first stage of this multi gives you all the tools you need to complete the rest, but I also recommend bringing a flashlight and a partner. This one is definitely fun for two people.

2)
Wild Side (GCHOPN) by Duch and Appsspec (nominated by 15Tango)
This cache is in a great part of a great park that I
commute past on my way to work, but would have never
known about if it wasn't for geocaching. Alimagnet
Lake Park is tucked between Cedar Ave. and 35E, South
of where they cross each other. There are ball fields
at one end of the park, as well as a dog park, and
some of the trail network is groomed in the winter for
X-C skiing. Aside from a couple of large houses
visible on the opposite side of the lake from the
park, one can easily forget that they are smack dab in
the middle of suburbia. The only real shortfall is
that this cache is a PVC container, and the lid can
sometimes be difficult to remove. There is also
another cache in the same park, around the lake from
this one, Alimagnet Ski Trail by Catering Chef.

(click on images to see larger versions)

3)
GPS Knowledge Challenge (GCHB6R) by Arcticabn (nominated by Silent Bob)
GPS Knowledge Challenge brings together several great aspects of geocaching into one fantastic multi-cache. Arcticabn was able to roll a history lesson, some great hides, a lengthy hike, and great terrain all into one 2.5+ hour long adventure through the middle of Lebanon Hills Park with a single ten-stage multi-cache.

Depending on your vehicle's abilities you may or may not have a lengthy hike to the first stage. From here you begin your adventure through the gorgeous rolling terrain of Lebanon Hills. Arcticabn's time and effort really shows through in the cache containers, the questions, and the stage locations. I would never have made it to some of these areas if it were not for this cache.

If you plan on attempting this cache *please* brush up on your GPS history, bring plenty of water (especially in the summer as Lebanon Hills is unforgiving at that time of year), bugspray, wear clothes that will protect your arms and legs as some of the areas will likely be full of vegetation that your arms and legs will not appreciate, and of course... Bring a friend. Long caches are always more fun when you have someone to pass the time with between stages!

The final cache is certainly worth the effort as it was originally stocked full of items from the geocaching.com store. It is frequently harboring several bugs and it is a great container in itself. As always, if you decide to make a trade please keep the trades even.

4)
The Suspense Is Killing Me (GCAE44) by Bogeyboy (nominated by KC0QEG)
Located in beautiful Plymouth, right off the 494 Circuit. I found this one in late summer, which made it a good hunt as there is quite a bit of canopy cover. The reason I like this one so much was the cleaver hiding equipment. Also, this "park" is tucked nicely in a neighborhood. I choose the short walk when I went for the hunt, by doing so, his statement is correct, you very likely can miss the entrance from this side of the park. It is a nice park, with a good hide, well worth a nomination for Cache of the month.

Last edited by towlebooth on Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Scott Johnson just sent in a nomination for next month which reinforces one already nominated this month. Since we can't nominate the same cache two months in a row I wanted to post his text here.

3 cont.)
Quote:

I nominate GPS Knowledge Cache.
This cache is without a doubt the most accurately placed one I have ever seen. Very few of the caches were off more than 6-12 from posted coordinates. The game aspect of having to answer a GPS related question to direct you to your next cache was not only physically enjoyable, but mentally as well. This is an excellent cache to learn about Geocaching or to teach others with. The park is easy to find and to get around in.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: