MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accepting February 2010 Cache Of The Month Nominations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Accepting February 2010 Cache Of The Month Nominations Reply with quote

To follow the existing guidelines I've updated this to be February CotM instead of January. Nominations will be open till 1/31/2010 at which time all nominations will be published so people have a chance to visit the nominated caches. Voting will open 2/20/2010 and close end of day 2/28/2010. Find any good caches lately? Nominated them now!

To nominate a cache, you may

1) post a nomination in this thread.

2) send me AND millah a PM through MnGCA.org.

3) e-mail BOTH marksteffel@gmail.com and millahmn@gmail.com.

When nominating a cache please include the cache name, waypoint, owner, and a brief description of why you are nominating the cache for COTM honors. Your description should explain why you feel this cache is worthy of recognition WITHOUT SPOILERS!

To get started, here my nomination:

Golf Courses have signature holes, for geocaching in the Twin Cities, GCR71H "Lair of the Three-Headed Woman" is, IMHO, THE signature cache. It's on at least 12 public "Best of"/Favorite/Excellent/Highlights. It current has 200 finds and even though word has clearly gotten around that this is a 'must do' cache, it hasn't been a CotM nominee. If folks use the CotM list to find caches in the state, this one must be on the list! I've seen comments in the log and in the forum where this is the first cache they show people other cachers when they come visit.

Even a DNF is enjoyable - it took me a few tries and I really thought it wasn't there as there are really only so many options, but it is there!

While this cache doesn't disappoint any time of year (though finding in the winter may be tough), my favorite time is late winter/early to mid spring - when the ice starts to melt. The sights of huge ice walls in the limestone "lair" with water trickling behind it, the sounds of the ice melting, popping and cracking - it's truly a magical spot. I work near this area occasionally will hike to this spot looks like now as it's continually changing. While it might not be the easiest spot to get to, it so worth the hike! All Hail the King for bring so may people to this fantastic location with his cache!

Last edited by msteffel on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Nominations for January Cache of the month... Reply with quote

msteffel wrote:
I haven't heard anything about CotM, but wanted to Nominate a cache for January so here goes!

Golf Courses have signature holes, for geocaching in the Twin Cities, GCR71H "Lair of the Three-Headed Woman" is, IMHO, THE signature cache. It's on at least 12 public "Best of"/Favorite/Excellent/Highlights. It current has 200 finds and even though word has clearly gotten around that this is a 'must do' cache, it hasn't been a CotM nominee. If folks use the CotM list to find caches in the state, this one must be on the list! I've seen comments in the log and in the forum where this is the first cache they show people other cachers when they come visit.

Even a DNF is enjoyable - it took me a few tries and I really thought it wasn't there as there are really only so many options, but it is there!

While this cache doesn't disappoint any time of year (though finding in the winter may be tough), my favorite time is late winter/early to mid spring - when the ice starts to melt. The sights of huge ice walls in the limestone "lair" with water trickling behind it, the sounds of the ice melting, popping and cracking - it's truly a magical spot. I work near this area occasionally will hike to this spot looks like now as it's continually changing. While it might not be the easiest spot to get to, it so worth the hike! All Hail the King for bring so may people to this fantastic location with his cache!

Been there three times. Worth the nomination.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely one of my favorites!
maryufaust
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Nominating 'The Batmobile - GC21AZ8' for COTM Reply with quote

This winter I've gotten into solving more puzzles instead of hiking around for traditionals, and I was very impressed with 'The Batmobile - GC21AZ8' by Seeingitdifferent and I would like to nominate it for COTM.

This puzzle was a puzzle within a puzzle within a puzzle. I enjoyed all the twists and turns as this was a very creative puzzle and just as you thought you had it solved....seeingitdifferent added one more twist.

The find was great too! Another twist of creativity (a lot of effort by the cache owner) before you can finally sign your name to the log and the best of all it is in a park with a nice hike to GZ and lots of other caches to pickup on the nearby trails.

Seeingitdifferent did a great job on this puzzle, but the best of all is that it is totally a solvable puzzle becuase Seeingitdifferent is just an email away with help in case you get stuck.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

I can't believe Lair of the 3 has not been nominated or won. Good catch!! I always bring people there from out of town.
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nominations are now closed for February Cache of the Month. Per existing guidelines, voting will open for February CotM on the 20th and be open for the rest of the month.

There are two caches that have been nominated for February CotM and they are:

GCR71H: Lair of the Three-Headed Woman by Force of Five (aka King Boreas) nominated by msteffel

GC21AZ8: The Batmobile by Seeingitdifferent nominated by maryufaust

This winter I've gotten into solving more puzzles instead of hiking around for traditionals, and I was very impressed with 'The Batmobile - GC21AZ8' by Seeingitdifferent and I would like to nominate it for COTM.

This puzzle was a puzzle within a puzzle within a puzzle. I enjoyed all the twists and turns as this was a very creative puzzle and just as you thought you had it solved....seeingitdifferent added one more twist.

The find was great too! Another twist of creativity (a lot of effort by the cache owner) before you can finally sign your name to the log and the best of all it is in a park with a nice hike to GZ and lots of other caches to pickup on the nearby trails.

Seeingitdifferent did a great job on this puzzle, but the best of all is that it is totally a solvable puzzle becuase Seeingitdifferent is just an email away with help in case you get stuck.

Go find them and let others know your thoughts here!

Last edited by msteffel on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msteffel wrote:
Nominations are now closed for February Cache of the Month. Per existing guidelines, voting will open for February CotM on the 20th and be open for the rest of the month.

There are two caches that have been nominated for February CotM and they are:

GCR71H: Lair of the Three-Headed Woman by Force of Five (aka King Boreas) nominated by msteffel

GC21AZ8: The Batmobile by Seeingitdifferent nominated by maryufaust

Go find them and let others know your thoughts here!

Sounds like the same cache, heh.
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Fixed. Off to a roaring start... Embarassed
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msteffel wrote:
Embarassed Fixed. Off to a roaring start... Embarassed

At least you are on top of it!! Cool
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are nominations open for the current month yet? I feel obligated to nominate "Unequivocally Puzzle Valley" based on the effect it had in the area.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
So are nominations open for the current month yet? I feel obligated to nominate "Unequivocally Puzzle Valley" based on the effect it had in the area.

I would suggest you place your nomination in the following thread...
http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5259
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
I would suggest you place your nomination in the following thread...
http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5259

Whoops, totally missed that somehow. Thanks.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:

now that's funny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: