MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Special" cache at Upper Sioux SP?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: "Special" cache at Upper Sioux SP? Reply with quote

Supposedly there is a cache at Upper Sioux that, when you complete it, you receive a coin or something similar? Has anyone heard of such a cache? I don't see any references to it on gc.com but have been asked about it.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "Special" cache at Upper Sioux SP? Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Supposedly there is a cache at Upper Sioux that, when you complete it, you receive a coin or something similar? Has anyone heard of such a cache? I don't see any references to it on gc.com but have been asked about it.

They did something like this last year. I don't know if it was an official cache.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GC1DBZK is like that. It is not official but put on by the naturalist.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking to the ranger a few weeks back, they no longer have that cache. But you can still buy the leftover coins.. which are actually travel tags if I remember right. Either way, they ain't trackable on gc.com.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it wasn't an official cache (or is no longer anyway - I know it doesn't show up as an active cache).

bflentje wrote:
Talking to the ranger a few weeks back, they no longer have that cache. But you can still buy the leftover coins.. which are actually travel tags if I remember right. Either way, they ain't trackable on gc.com.

The trackability wasn't a concern at all for the person asking me. This answers the question though - thanks.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

I have one of those coins, found it in a bflentje cache in fact. It is the size of a pathtag, but doesn't have the hole in it.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all of you that are inquiring about this. It was actually archived to make way for the History challenge cache. The coins were some that the park purchased and were charging $3 for just to get back their money. I think they had like 100 of them if I'm not mistaken. It wasn't intended on making any profit. They just figured that this would be an added incentive cause the cache was Many, Many stages. The coins were even numbered. Not sure how many they would have left of them. I should find out if Terri was going to reactivate that cache. It is not part of the new SP cacheing program. I guess we'll see.
CharleneMae
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, last year's History Challenge cache at Upper Sioux was about 6 or 7 stages, took 1.5-2 hrs, and had a punchcard sheet for each of the stages. After completion, besides getting your History card, you also had the opportunity to purchase a serialized coin (1-250 I believe) if you turned in your punchcard. We completed last year's challenge and purchased one of the coins for $3 (at cost). The park ranger thought it would be a fun and unique reward.

This year we returned to do the Wildlife Safari cache and when we arrived at the park, we saw a sign talking about this bonus cache. The ranger said it was pretty much the same thing that was set up for the History Challenge. When we were there in late May, the coins were a different design than last year. She ran out of the 250 previous designs and needed to order some more. I don't know that this cache is listed on geocaching.com.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Emailed Terri to find out what was up. We were together on a Safari cache committee last year.
Here is her reply. It is not an official cache.

Quote:
The route is still up....the gal in central office was supposed to re-post it and I thought it had been but apparently not? We revised it slightly to abide by the close to the trail rules and added one bottle in a long stretch. We have the second version of the coin (tipi on the back) available for $3 for those who complete it.

Terri Dinesen
Upper Sioux Agency State Park Manager

Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

How does one get started on it if the office is closed?

How much hiking is involved in it?
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if they have the cards in the lobby or not. They have a big main area at the office that is normally open. I am not sure what the actually waypoint is for the start of it. If you called there before you go I'm sure they would give you the starting location then you would be able to do it on your own.

The cache takes you in about a 1.5-2 mile loop around on some of the trails at the park. Most caches are just a few feet off the trail. They have a punch card that you punch at each cache with some type of animal or leaves and such. This is how they know you got all of the stages. Like has been mentioned before it is 7 or eight stages to the cache. It's best if you park near the first one and walk to them all from there. It will bring you back close to where the first one is at. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Southern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: