MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Server too busy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:
Part of this is to create a geocaching world that's not dictacted by Jeremy Irish and his pocketbook. I wouldn't have anything against him if he listened to his users (which would in the end bring less burden on him and his servers), instead of listening on how he can capitalize on our free sport. I don't mind people making money - but I don't like it when it's at the expense of usability, and when they're liars as he demonstrated again recently.

Another common issue w/his supporters is that they continue to claim that everything he does is for the users yet he still needs to be able to feed his family!!!

If he wasn't so deadlocked on making it illegal for data sharing we wouldn't have such problems with geocaching.com. He has actually got his supporters to believe that a closed database of cache information is for their benefit! He could face copyright violations by the cache owners if he allowed others to access that information... WHAT?!?

Remember, we don't know what we are talking about, his "legal team" does.

Silent Bob
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Cheeseeeee... I wonder if thats the problem...... Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:

Now, the data is that an "astounding" 50,000 logs were created during the last week, and this may be the source of his troubles. Even if everybody decided to log those 50,000 logs/week in just 4 hours on Saturday evening and 4 hours on Sunday evening that would amount to a transaction rate of less than 2 logs per second for the servers to handle. This really is not a large load.

-Rick

Most likely cheese with holes in it, like the code on great site we all use. I wonder if the increase in traffic has anything with people going back and trying to change there TB logs from Notes to finds??? Who knows..... Alls I can say is every action has a reaction. Maybe it is time for him to hire some help to rewrite the site so that it can accomidate the load.

Just my .5 cents....

-JT Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Everyone out of the pool!!! Reply with quote

Server error in "/" application is back--this time, the excuse I get is that the maximum pool limit has been reached--at least I'm no longer a deadlock victim. It took me 2 hours and 40 minutes to log 11 finds and 1 DNF--I also made the mistake of taking a TB to 9 micro caches, so I logged it in and out of each of those, but that shouldn't have broken the system.
team-deadhead
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 48 caches hidden and I love to get an e-mail when someone finds them. On 5-8-04 I recived 21 e-mails on finds this was great that I had so many finds in one day. Now today I'm looking on the site and I found I had 88 find logs on my caches yesterday where is the other 67 e-mails? And how many others were lost yesterday!
Wo-oh, what I want to know is, are you kind?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

team-deadhead wrote:
Now today I'm looking on the site and I found I had 88 find logs on my caches yesterday where is the other 67 e-mails? And how many others were lost yesterday!

I have had emails for cache logs come up to 24 hours later. It's really kind of annoying.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

team-deadhead wrote:
Now I'm MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 48 caches hidden and I love to get an e-mail when someone finds them. On 5-8-04 I recived 21 e-mails on finds this was great that I had so many finds in one day. Now today I'm looking on the site and I found I had 88 find logs on my caches yesterday where is the other 67 e-mails? And how many others were lost yesterday!

You can find all of your logs (I think) from 5/8/2004 here... http://www.rkkda.com/team-deadhead.txt
team-deadhead
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks as of 11:30 pm on 5/09/04 I still haven't recieved the 67 missing e-mail logs and none for any from today.
team-deadhead
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its 9:30 am on 04/10/04 still no log e-mails. And there are 2 finds from today with no e-mail. Is anyone else having this problem? I also e-mailed 2 other cachers and did not recived the copy e-mail either.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

team-deadhead wrote:
Its 9:30 am on 04/10/04 still no log e-mails. And there are 2 finds from today with no e-mail. Is anyone else having this problem? I also e-mailed 2 other cachers and did not recived the copy e-mail either.

Twentyseven found one of my caches yesterday (I am not sure if he logged it today or what, perhaps he could shed some light) and I got the email this morning.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea having big problems with the e-mail. I've run 8 queries in the last 2 days and only one has actually made it to me by e-mail. The other 7 are in limbo or digital heck, who knows.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Yea having big problems with the e-mail. I've run 8 queries in the last 2 days and only one has actually made it to me by e-mail. The other 7 are in limbo or digital heck, who knows.

One time queries have been disappearing into digital heck lately. They often don't get run at all. Even though if you click "preview" you can see that you should be getting some results.

If they work, within a minute or two you will see the time that they ran on your PQ page. Then, the query results enter the secondary heck of email delay within gc.com.

If they don't work, then about 15-20 minutes later they will disappear off your PQ page forever. No results are ever generated in this case, and you will never get an email.

I've been getting a 50% success rate, and it doesn't make a difference what time of the day you run them.

On top of this obvious bug, there has been the compounding problem of email delay within gc.com. So it took me several days to realize these are in fact two separate problems.

Its likely that scheduled PQ's also suffer the same problem of never getting run, but since they are scheduled they won't disappear off your PQ page. I don't know for sure since I never use scheduled PQs.

-Rick
team-deadhead
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the missing e-mails came in about an hour ago!
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Twentyseven found one of my caches yesterday (I am not sure if he logged it today or what, perhaps he could shed some light) and I got the email this morning.

I logged it in the morning. You tricky trickster!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwentySeven wrote:
I logged it in the morning. You tricky trickster!

Well then we know that the email was right on time for me. Jod must have something out for team-deadhead Wink
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that didn't take long. The "Jeep" server farm is tapped out already. Slow and/or server too busy messages.
Jeremy is going to have to fix his code now. No excuses anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: