MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2010 Geotech Event
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: 2010 Geotech Event Reply with quote

Given the success of the 2007 Geotech event I have been considering us having another one. I know that Jonas suggested a 2009 event, but I don't know if it ever happened. Either way I have spoken with the Oakdale Discovery Center (part of their Parks and Rec department) and they are very excited to allow us to host the event at their location.

Oakdale has been a big supporter of Geocaching, offering classes, demonstrations and welcoming us into their parks.

They are offering us two rooms, so that we may have two tracks running per session. And I was thinking a tentative schedule of five 50 minute classes in various topics would be appropriate. We haven't chosen a date yet, but I am thinking that a Saturday in May might be appropriate.

I have taken the list of classes proposed for the 2009 event as a starter list, but what other classes would you like to see at this event and would you be interested in teaching a class?

Ideas currently suggested:
Introduction to geocaching - GopherJen
Hiding caches (how to, and what makes a good hide) - Topgear
Introduction to GSAK - m&tcacheseekers
Intermediate GSAK & Macros - m&tcacheseekers
How to solve geocaching puzzles
Creating an advanced cache page
Technical walk through of GPS models
Cacher Roundtable (open forum)
Smartphones for caching and paperless - I will do an android discussion if someone else who has an iPhone will lead the apple side of things, talk about the official app and any other apps that are out there.

Making and Finding WhereIGo cartridges - trista74
GoogleEarth, and using finding caches along a route. - Red_Devil35

Willing to help take a muggle out caching - oakwilt, lmninmn

This event will only happen with the support of our local community, willingness to help teach and attend events, so let me know what you think. Please post your interest in attending/teaching and any ideas for other course topics.

The GC event page has been published: http://coord.info/GC26VYW

edited to add course titles - sz
edited by sz to add gc event page

Last edited by sir_zman on Mon May 24, 2010 7:10 am; edited 11 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
roylake
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about caching with your smartphone (I-phone/Blackberry/Droid/ect..) and the related software for going paperless.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roylake wrote:
How about caching with your smartphone (I-phone/Blackberry/Droid/ect..) and the related software for going paperless.

Thats an excellent idea, smartphones have come onto the market strong in the last year and with Groundspeak set to release their Geocaching for Android before the end of Q1 this year, it will be very timely.

What topics could be addressed that would take up the full 50 minutes?
- what apps are available
- paperless options
- how to load and find caches
- ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoogleEarth, and using finding caches along a route.
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some classes not mentioned yet that I'd attend:

How to create a good puzzle cache (I thought I heard pfalstad did a class on this topic [or similar] last time)

BS-39/B-Squadron 39 (What is it? Who are they? What are their tactics/tricks of the trade?)

I'd offer to teach a class, but I don't think people want to learn 'How to DNF' or 'How to write long, stream-of-conscious logs with no point'. Wink
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 Geotech Event Reply with quote

Excellent to hear!

I'd be interested in helping to teach a class but there's no way I'd be free to do it in May (those Saturdays are already all booked).

I would be willing to also assist, via email, anyone that is interested in teaching a class - working with them to assemble material, power point, whatever.

I'd also suggest an invitation to Merkman to see if he would be interested.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May is iffy for me too, it depends on the weekend. But I will help out where I can!
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be moved to June? Hopefully the second or third week? That way you don't have to worry about Graduations and such. I am pretty busy in may as well and would like to attend an event like this again. Would be nice to see some folks again. It's been a while.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
Could this be moved to June? Hopefully the second or third week? That way you don't have to worry about Graduations and such. I am pretty busy in may as well and would like to attend an event like this again. Would be nice to see some folks again. It's been a while.

Sounds like May is hard for everyone, I was thinking of doing it on Geocachings 10th birthday, but since it's hard for so many, June is fine with me. The nice thing about being so early in the planning process is that everything is open for alteration at this point.
quatch27
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: I'd do my best to attend Reply with quote

YES! I was actually just thinking about something like this as I have just recently discovered GSAK and started using it. The tutorials have gotten me up and running on it. It's quite powerful and I know I am not using it anywhere near it's full potential. Attending a class and learning from seasoned users would great. In addition my girls want to start hiding caches....so this event would be perfect for a new cacher like me.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a class about creating Wherigo caches would be nice to have. Obviously Ruderat has one Wherigo cache published, and I just sent one in for publication. I may be willing to run through a live tutorial of some of the basics. I know there are several computer programmers out there who could probably breeze through creating one, but a live tutorial might be a nice accompaniment to the online tutorial for anyone with interest, but not much experience. Thoughts?
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:
I think a class about creating Wherigo caches would be nice to have. Obviously Ruderat has one Wherigo cache published, and I just sent one in for publication. I may be willing to run through a live tutorial of some of the basics. I know there are several computer programmers out there who could probably breeze through creating one, but a live tutorial might be a nice accompaniment to the online tutorial for anyone with interest, but not much experience. Thoughts?

Great idea!
topgear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I've been waiting for. Unfortunately, the last weekend in June does not work for me. I would be willing to help out with the "Hiding caches (how to, and what makes a good hide)" class if needed. Twisted Evil
oakwilt
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be willing to help out. I feel I know a little about a lot but not enough of any one thing to be helpful to teach a class but I'd sure like to help out somewhere. Right now anytime in June is good for me.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
GoogleEarth, and using finding caches along a route.

If it has been awhile since you tried to do caching along a route, geocaching.com makes it very easy now. You no longer have to create the route on google earth first then upload. The new way is pretty simple. I just did one for our road trip to Duluth to Savage on Saturday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: