MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oldest Geocaches
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested in caches placed in the year 2000, I created a bookmark list of those some time ago.

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=c083a980-f4ee-4105-8fcf-2d3c9244db65

So far from that list, we've got the oldest ones in Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Nevada and Connecticut. We have some others from 2000, as well as Wisconsin's oldest. It's always interesting to see how the early days of the game played out. I've not been disappointed with any oldies but goodies so far.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekkin' and Birdin' wrote:
For anyone interested in caches placed in the year 2000, I created a bookmark list of those some time ago.

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=c083a980-f4ee-4105-8fcf-2d3c9244db65

So far from that list, we've got the oldest ones in Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Nevada and Connecticut. We have some others from 2000, as well as Wisconsin's oldest. It's always interesting to see how the early days of the game played out. I've not been disappointed with any oldies but goodies so far.

I was reading a log from I think GC35 where the cache owner archived the cache and geocided back in 2002 because he didn't like the current state of the game. If only he was around today...
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekkin' and Birdin' wrote:

Looks like I'll never qualify for the challenge cache where I have to find one placed on the day I started caching - from the list, the closest I could find to 12/21/2000 is The Silver Lake Stash placed on 12/19/2000 - there's a couple 12/17's and 12/24's as well, so the best I can do to qualify is to find one placed the week I started caching.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEH - I went to Ohio for one, certainly you can road trip to Mass for one Cool
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:
Oxbow - GC9CF.

Alvin's Phone Line is actually the oldest in Minnesota (even though it was registered after Oxbow):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=66012a2e-c99e-40b8-aaff-5884516f5f51

The original listing for Alvin's (which many don't realize) was GCAA:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2878ef03-1a1a-42a9-8d7b-8accd3033d5f

Heh, that could be a fun debate ...

Oooooo. How can we actually prove that one is older than another then.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
Looks like I'll never qualify for the challenge cache where I have to find one placed on the day I started caching - from the list, the closest I could find to 12/21/2000 is The Silver Lake Stash placed on 12/19/2000 - there's a couple 12/17's and 12/24's as well, so the best I can do to qualify is to find one placed the week I started caching.

I haven't cached for anywhere close to as long as you (since 4/4/07), but I still had to go all the way to Michigan to qualify for that challenge. People just weren't hiding many caches on Wednesdays in April 2007.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigilwig44 wrote:

The GC numbers
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
King Boreas wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:
Oxbow - GC9CF.

Alvin's Phone Line is actually the oldest in Minnesota (even though it was registered after Oxbow):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=66012a2e-c99e-40b8-aaff-5884516f5f51

The original listing for Alvin's (which many don't realize) was GCAA:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2878ef03-1a1a-42a9-8d7b-8accd3033d5f

Heh, that could be a fun debate ...

Done them both. Alvin's was more of an adventure.

I've done them both as well. Sorry, but I don't even remember Oxbow. Alvin's I do remember (but perhaps that's because I went to it knowing it was the oldest?)...
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:

The GC numbers

The number indicates only when it was submitted, not when it was hidden or when it was approved. Therein lies the controversy. Which is the date that should be considered?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
King Boreas wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:

The GC numbers

The number indicates only when it was submitted, not when it was hidden or when it was approved. Therein lies the controversy. Which is the date that should be considered?

I think it has to be the one thing that is standard, or "provable"

In the "old days" all caches were "submitted" immediately. You could not unclick a button to not submit it. Also, there was no Reviewer "published" log. Published date would be unknown, and hide dates can be changed at any time.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a question just do what I do, find em both. Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone can explain this.. go to Google Maps at Mingo (GC30). Go into satellite mode and start zooming out. Gives crop circles a whole new meaning.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Maybe someone can explain this.. go to Google Maps at Mingo (GC30). Go into satellite mode and start zooming out. Gives crop circles a whole new meaning.

Looks like irrigation systems.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
spinowner wrote:
King Boreas wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:

The GC numbers

I think it has to be the one thing that is standard, or "provable"

In the "old days" all caches were "submitted" immediately. You could not unclick a button to not submit it. Also, there was no Reviewer "published" log. Published date would be unknown, and hide dates can be changed at any time.

OK, so Alvin's is GC9FF and GCAA (it was listed twice) and Oxbow is GC9CF soooooo if i'm understanding correctly Alvin's is #378 and Oxbow is #702? Am I correct.
Guitar Solo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

Those were fun to see from the plane going to Utah.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: