MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minnesota's 3rd Annual Canoe-in Geocaching Event Planning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your preference for event venue?
Leave the same as last year, very convenient.
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Change it up a bit, either up or down river from last year.
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Change location completely. Only vote this if you suggest a venue.
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 12

andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt Franke wrote:
The paddle from Saint Cloud to Clearwater is very easy most of the season. I have done it many times without incident. It takes about 4 hours and there are several islands and even 2 campsites enroute.

Another nice paddle is just north of Saint Cloud. You can put in at the Blanchard Dam and paddle to Mississippi River Park. I have done that one as well. Nothing better.

Kurt

Kurt, have you done the Clearwater to Monti trip?
If so how is that?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
Rustynails wrote:
Then just make it one big event. Very Happy Camping and canoes go together. Problem solved ?

Ah, I'm glad somebody gets it.

It wasn't that I didn't get it.. it's.. just.. just that numbers thing. I suppose if I was begging, pleading or being belligerant, your comment might make sense. Feel the love.. Shocked
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not paddled from Clearwater to Monticello. I have thougth about it as I'm sure it's a pleasant trip. Looks to me that it would be a trip of 16.5 mile from the Clearwater Mississippi PWA to Bridgeview Park in Monti. That should take about 4 hours (4mph).

Here is a link to the DNR map for that section of the Mississippi River - Saint Cloud to Anoka. Along with the map, there is a mile by mile route description of highlights along the way.

Kurt
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to put this on my calendar. I remember seeing the first two, but things didn't work out for me to attend. I think any river can offer up opportunities.

I noticed someone asking about the Rum. There are parks along the river. I grew up on the river and I know that in August it is a calm and lazy river. I am assuming that we would want to stay close to the Twin Cities so I would suggest St. Francis to Anoka for a trip. There are places to put in at both towns and a couple of parks along the way. Mostly city, but one county park.

Anyone think about the BWCA? Camping and canoeing, plus a couple of virtual caches. I know not for the faint of heart.

Looking forward to the event where ever it ends up.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
I am going to put this on my calendar. I remember seeing the first two, but things didn't work out for me to attend. I think any river can offer up opportunities.

I noticed someone asking about the Rum. There are parks along the river. I grew up on the river and I know that in August it is a calm and lazy river. I am assuming that we would want to stay close to the Twin Cities so I would suggest St. Francis to Anoka for a trip. There are places to put in at both towns and a couple of parks along the way. Mostly city, but one county park.

Anyone think about the BWCA? Camping and canoeing, plus a couple of virtual caches. I know not for the faint of heart.

Looking forward to the event where ever it ends up.

Memorial weekend there is an event planned to do just that. Look out for it.. I have my campsite at Tetteguche reserved but just need to firm up some other details. Saturday of Memorial weekend. Look for it.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Memorial weekend there is an event planned to do just that. Look out for it.. I have my campsite at Tetteguche reserved but just need to firm up some other details. Saturday of Memorial weekend. Look for it.

Assuming I am not out in North Dakota branding cattle that weekend I will have to head up in that direction. I will keep my eyes open for it.
trista74
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that Midwest Mountaineering has a seminar on paddling the MN and WI rivers on March 18. One of the speakers is the Water Trails Coordinator for the MN DNR and the other one has paddled over 50 rivers in the two states. They might be good contacts in determining a good place for this event. One of them might think of an area that hasn't been suggested yet.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trista74 wrote:
I just noticed that Midwest Mountaineering has a seminar on paddling the MN and WI rivers on March 18. One of the speakers is the Water Trails Coordinator for the MN DNR and the other one has paddled over 50 rivers in the two states. They might be good contacts in determining a good place for this event. One of them might think of an area that hasn't been suggested yet.

Thank you. I will do some investigating. Minimum requirements are the following..

- Landings at top and bottom must be somewhat family friendly.
- An outfitter is required somewhere on route for the non-boat-owners
- One of the landings, top or bottom, must accomodate a social event.
- There must be area, top, bottom, or on route, that contains existing geocaches or can accomodate new geocaches.

What am I forgetting?
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note and a link to promote the Mississippi River. Saint Cloud State University and SCSU Outdoor Endeavors are big supporters of the river and canoeing.

And another new local company, first season on the river, Clear Water Outfitting Company will also be offering rentals and shuttles.

Celebrate the Mississippi!

Kurt
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This event will officially be in the Cannon Falls area on Saturday, August 21st. I've booked my campsite at Byllesby Lake for Friday and Saturday nights.

Campsites are reserving fast.. reserve TODAY. Seriously, they are going fast.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are most people going to be camping out? On friday or saturday?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
When are most people going to be camping out? On friday or saturday?

Last year no one camped out as far as I know. I just proposed it as an new option this year. I would be more likely to be social on Saturday night as Friday will be event prep time.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I talked to the wife, canoeing is in, camping is out since we live only 1/2 hour away. We will stick around at least for social hour.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having biked the Cannon Valley Trail yesterday, it is clear that a Cannon River cache maintenance run in the next two weeks is critically needed. You can see most of the islands from atop the bluff on the bike trail and it is obvious most of them have been wiped clean by the recent flooding. Most of the caches should be safe but I suspect there's an ammocan or two now headed down to the Big Easy.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four months out and we're already ramping up the area for the third annual event. Be sure to keep an eye on the Google geocaching maps of the area to watch things evolve. Over 20 new caches in the area placed over the course of the last two weeks. I would guess you can count on at least that many more more quality caches to be placed before all is said and done. Actual river island cache maintenance will happen next weekend. Anyone want to ride along?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: