MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minnesota's 3rd Annual Canoe-in Geocaching Event Planning
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your preference for event venue?
Leave the same as last year, very convenient.
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Change it up a bit, either up or down river from last year.
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Change location completely. Only vote this if you suggest a venue.
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 12

bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Minnesota's 3rd Annual Canoe-in Geocaching Event Planning Reply with quote

Never too early to start planning.

Tentative date for the 3nd annual event is Saturday 08-21-2010. Secondary date in the event my wife says no is Saturday 08-28-2010.

I am open to suggestions as to a potential location change but having the event on the Cannon is just WAY too convenient.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I voted for a new venue, how about Minnehaha Creek? I've never gone down it, but I've been told it's a nice trip. I know there's loads of caches along the route too.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
Since I voted for a new venue, how about Minnehaha Creek? I've never gone down it, but I've been told it's a nice trip. I know there's loads of caches along the route too.

So, I guess the event that I have been planning for three years now, but have been unable to host due to low water levels, will now be stolen!!! Wink

@bflentje, I know we have talked about it before, but if you want to try it, go for it. There are lots of issues with an event on the Minnehaha. The water levels have been really down the past few years, and when they do let out a bunch of water from the dam at Minnetonka, it's usually from a storm, and you barely have three to four weeks to get the event in before the levels drop quickly again. Also, if you want to have the event during the summer and warm weather, good luck. I have been waiting to plan an event for three years and no go on July and August. (the dam was closed almost the entire year last year).

If if can be done, it would be a blast. All day float and paddle with TONS of caches along the route. Great parks along the way to have an event that land lovers could meet up with at too.

If you do plan on trying the Minnehaha, let me know, maybe we could tag team it. Your best shot at decent water (COLD water too) would have to be mid June. And, unless you see some huge projections in snow melt and new water, I wouldn't count on it again this year.Sad

Minnehaha Flow / Minnetonka Dam Output
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no opinion about where to hold this years event. Just want to put in a good word for the MN State Canoe/Kayak Routes. Any of those rivers/locations could be considered I would think.

BTW, there is a really nice 3-4 hour paddle on the Sauk River, starting at Eagle Park in Rockville and ending at Anton's in Waite Park. This would be a good option if your interested.

Kurt
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby4 wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

So, I guess the event that I have been planning for three years now, but have been unable to host due to low water levels, will now be stolen!!! Wink

@bflentje, I know we have talked about it before, but if you want to try it, go for it. There are lots of issues with an event on the Minnehaha. The water levels have been really down the past few years, and when they do let out a bunch of water from the dam at Minnetonka, it's usually from a storm, and you barely have three to four weeks to get the event in before the levels drop quickly again. Also, if you want to have the event during the summer and warm weather, good luck. I have been waiting to plan an event for three years and no go on July and August. (the dam was closed almost the entire year last year).

If if can be done, it would be a blast. All day float and paddle with TONS of caches along the route. Great parks along the way to have an event that land lovers could meet up with at too.

If you do plan on trying the Minnehaha, let me know, maybe we could tag team it. Your best shot at decent water (COLD water too) would have to be mid June. And, unless you see some huge projections in snow melt and new water, I wouldn't count on it again this year.Sad

Minnehaha Flow / Minnetonka Dam Output

While I welcome ideas, there's never been a time in my life that I recall where I've considered the Minnehaha to be deep enough to paddle. Besides, I would not want to steal Gilbey's idea.. (get moving and plan an event).

There's the Kinnikinnick, but that's in Wisconsin.. well, this IS the Minnesota canoe-in geocaching event, isn't it? Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year, well over half the paddling event attendents rented boats. That leads me to believe that the event will have to take place on a river with an outfitter. The options, along with my opinion, are the following:

Big Fork River: Way too far north.
Cannon River: outfitters in Cannon Falls and Welch.
Cloquet River: Too far north.
Crow Wing River: too far north.
Little Fork River: Way too far north.
Minnesota River: In Watson, too far west. No outfitters in or around metro.
Mississippi River: Area on river with outfitters too far north, south of Saint Cloud the river is too dangerous for an event.
Pine River: Too far north.
Root River: Too far south, but in the future I have my eye on this river.
Rum River: This might work but I am reluctant because it's far enough away for me where I couldn't effectively pre-manage the event.
St. Croix River: Same as Mississippi.. the safer zone on the river to have an event is too far north.
St. Louis River: Too north.
Vermillion River (not the one in Dakota County): Way too far north.
Zumbro River: This river has potential as it's only 10-20 miles further south than Cannon Falls. Scouting for event AND cache locations needs to take place.

Anyone with river experience on the Rum or Zumbro rivers please step forward. Are there viable event space at top or bottom? Are there hidey holes ON the river as river banks are MOSTLY private property?
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I am fine with any venue. Cannon Falls was a great spot too. I was just tossing out Minnehaha Creek.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
FWIW, I am fine with any venue. Cannon Falls was a great spot too. I was just tossing out Minnehaha Creek.

I am with you. I've just never seen any significant water in the creek.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

I am with you. I've just never seen any significant water in the creek.

Julie and I did it from dam to Falls (just short of) in July of 2004, and it was awesome! Water level was high, and we never hit bottom. They haven't had that level in July or August since then. When they do, I will post it here and get an event going. Until then, I hope I can make it to wherever you plan it this year!
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, why do you consider all of the Mississippi south of St. Cloud to be too dangerous?
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've paddled the Minnehaha and have seen others do it but not much within the past few years, well maybe spring about 3 or 4 years ago as the water receded after excessive spring rains. Other than that the water levels have been just too low. It's a great route though. I wish I had been caching back when I did it!
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year was the first time I had attended the event, and I had a great time. But I didn't have anywhere near enough time to get all the caches... so I'll definitely have enough to go after another year, but I totally understand the desire to move, especially for people who have done it twice already.

In other words, the Cannon river is great, but moving it would be great too! It's the people that make the event great of course! Very Happy
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
Just curious, why do you consider all of the Mississippi south of St. Cloud to be too dangerous?

Maybe an exaggerated choice of words.. The mighty Miss is rather large and moves pretty swiftly once it gets that far south. Very intimidating to be getting in and out of canoes and kayaks in such conditions. It's also less condusive for hiding caches ON the river as there aren't many islands I am aware of until you get to the Hastings area.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Minnesota's 3rd Annual Canoe-in Geocaching Event Plannin Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Never too early to start planning.

Tentative date for the 3nd annual event is Saturday 08-21-2010. Secondary date in the event my wife says no is Saturday 08-28-2010.

I am open to suggestions as to a potential location change but having the event on the Cannon is just WAY too convenient.

Sweet!!! I may be able to make that work this year...I have missed the past two because of work related stuff...
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter works for the Minnehaha Creek Watershed District (MCWD), maybe we could get to crack open the dam for a day Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: