MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What handle do you WISH you had?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
4nhand
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my name last fall and it was really easy. When I signed up, I didn't know anything about geocaching, nor had I met anyone. I just used my email handle, which happens to contain my name "alyssa_ob". Then I saw more logs and read other creative names and realized how boring my name was. I also didn't necessarily want people to know who I was. And TONS of people asked me if I was an O.B. Of course not, that is just a silly nickname from high school and I didn't know it meant anything else back then.

So I started thinking about other names. I realized I wanted something short to fit on those little logs better. I also wanted a name that reflected my interests. I picked the name I have now because it is a handbell term meaning I can play 2 bells in each hand (for a total of four-in-hand).

It was super easy to change my handle. I found it somewhere on groundspeak and clicked to change my name. The first option I picked, 4inhand, was taken, so I dropped the "i". I like it. I just posted on my page the name I was formerly known by, in case anyone questioned my logs. I was only about 500 caches in at the time, so it wasn't a huge deal. I didn't have to ask permission or anything, just click a button.

I know that's lots of rambling, but maybe that will help someone wanting to change their handle.
4nhand
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And no I didn't have to go re-log any caches. All my old logs updated with my new name.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're fine with the one we have, but sometimes, Trekkin' thinks it would be cool to change the name to "Brains and Brawn." I told him I think I've seen some logs with that name and he was crushed! Rolling Eyes

You can decide which one of us gets which part of the name. We have reversed roles on occasion, too. Wink
Sky King 36
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have been plenty happy to just get "Sky King", but as others have encounterd, the name was taken by someone who joined, found one cache 8 or 10 years ago, and disappeared. Perfect, just perfect.

back when I was in the army most units used revolving call signs, but my unit used permanent callsigns, and my callsign ended with "36" so it was my fallback.

Last edited by Sky King 36 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Guitar Solo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized I liked Guitar Solo more than 97rs24. It was really easy to change my username.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Solo wrote:
I realized I liked Guitar Solo more than 97rs24. It was really easy to change my username.

By the way, how'd you come up with the name 97rs24.
mnfishnutz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our favorite username (which we found a few of there caches caching up in Superior, WI) was Passing Wind. (Very unique and odd profile, by the way)
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnfishnutz wrote:
Our favorite username (which we found a few of there caches caching up in Superior, WI) was Passing Wind. (Very unique and odd profile, by the way)

I like "My dog has no nose.", just because I appreciate the reference.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:

How does he smell? Wink
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:

There's the wind-up...

timewellspent wrote:
How does he smell? Wink

and the pitch... Very Happy

Going after an FTF today in an area dense with lunching muggles, I realize I should have picked "Mugglephobe" since I am almost incapable of searching for caches when muggles are nearby. Sad
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too!!! I need at least a 100 yd radius free of muggles to enjoy the experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: