MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

City parks and those that pay attention...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, from Jeremy's profile--

Member since June 01, 2000

Found--126 caches
1 benchmark
11 travel bug tags
1 Moun10bike coin

Owns--4 caches
17 travel bug tags
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are problems both with his site and with some of his policies.

That said, I Very Happy LOVE Very Happy this game and am happy to contribute a few bits to his site for all the enjoyment I've gotten from it. Sure, he may not have invented it, and yes - it is the cache owners that do the ture work I enjoy, but without geocaching.com I would not have gotten into it.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh geez...i was in pest control a long time ago...i didn't know i could be a millionare doing that.....hmmm
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
If he is making $247k on that site a year I will gladly give him even more money because he is doing a great job for such poor work.

I am pretty sure I read an article recently that named him as one of the "young dotcom millionaires". He is doing fine for himself.... He needs a better product and to stop his diety tendencies, but you can't blame the guy for seizing an opportunity when he did. Who wouldn't?

I don't think his real money is made through $30 geo-memberships -- it is through the merchandise he sells. He also licenses the logo and name to people who use it on coins, walking sticks, shirts, hats, buttons, stickers, etc, etc.
Then of course there are the ads on the site.

Travel bugs alone are a huge money maker (and the only product he sells that is easily checked for appx amounts sold) --
My first travel bug ever was registered in May/2002 and it was TBug #7224 in the system. I just checked online and the latest Tbug is registered as #75785 in the system. That is 68,561 Bugs activated in just the 20 months I have been geocaching - this is not counting the Tbugs that are only sold and not yet activated. Almost every geocacher I know has a few that are not activated yet, so the number is probably higher.

They cost pennies to manufacture and even if EVERY Tbug was bought at the lowest possible price of $4.25 that still means the Travel bug sales alone are generating $175,000+/year..... not too bad for little dog tags!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been checking on prices recently on keychains and dog tags and found out that those cheap little, thin, bendable, aluminum tags are appx. $.50 or less when bought in bulk.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just took me nearly two hours to log 5 finds and 1 DNF because the gc.com system was overloaded, and I kept getting error messages--of course, I was logging bugs in and out of my finds as well. Anyhow, I don't think the site is keeping up with the number of new cachers out there, and it makes me wonder how much of the money they make is getting sunk into the site. I could mention something about how one can interpret Jeremy's profile as showing he's not into gc.com for finding and placing caches, but I won't, as this thread has strayed far enough off topic as it is, and to start an entire Jeremy bashing thread might get us all banned from the gc.com site.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the same time I was trying to edit my event cache. Five times I was the deadlock victim, or whatever the heck it is. Frustrating. I almost left it alone, but then someone would archive it.

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow This gc.com thread explains some of the hits on Silient Bob's cache pages.

Moe the Sleaze
Neutered Cache Stud
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOB--- YOU WILL WANT TO READ THIS THREAD THAT MOE POSTED!!!!
its your old buddy!!!!

YOU KNOW WHO I'M talking about!!!!!

also maybe somebody from the board may want to put a post on that thread...
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch... as far as I know, he's associated via BSA to the "friend" you're talking about... not the same guy... they could very well be friends outside of BSA as well, though...

-Aaron
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same GROUP...sorry not same person...bob will know....
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: KaiserKlan's cache. Reply with quote

I am very disappointed in this individual... First of all he's placing a cache in a park in Minnesota when he is actually from Kansas City. According to mtn-man, KaiserKlan has a wife here in Maple Grove and she would be "taking care" of the cache for him.

I really think that people should use the MNGCA as a resource before speaking to the individual parks on a personal basis. I also think that the cache should be taken over by a local resident. If his wife really is a full time resident of MN let her account be the one that owns the cache, not his. It really looks bad to the parks people when someone's profile says that they are a resident of another state (and not even an adjoining one).

Just my .02,
Silent Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: