MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did this get approved?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeakShift wrote:
Quote:
if not a disclaimer, then perhaps a separate handle is in order for your posts on this forum.

Wouldnt everyone bash him then for using a sock puppet account?

Most of the admins do use "sock puppet" accounts and speak differently using both. mtn-man seems to keep the same name everywhere he goes (forum, IRC, etc). I prefer this as at least I know who I am talking to.

I respect mtn-man and the work he does. We can't all agree with what they do at all times but I trust that at least mtn-man is working to the best of his ability with the limited resources he has.

Silent Bob
PeakShift
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree-

Many people use more than 1 account for various things. Having more than 1 account doesnt make any of them "sock puppet" accounts, unless a person creates a new, fake account at the same place they already registered to use as an alter-ego, etc-
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtn-man,

First off I wasn't pointing fingers at you as the approving authority or at either of the geocachers hiding the caches. I just wanted to point out that it happens and that we shouldn't go around flaming another state or country and their approving methodology. As far as Cozomel goes. It's a small island. I'm sure that because of that and the amount of tourist it gets there are more than a few rules bent inorder to make it an enjoyable week. Besides, my next time there I want to leave a cache at "Carlos and Chariles" in order to retreive it you my participate in the wine blowing. Laughing
mtn-man
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeakShift wrote:
Quote:
if not a disclaimer, then perhaps a separate handle is in order for your posts on this forum.

Wouldnt everyone bash him then for using a sock puppet account?
Just curious, as using a different username here than on GC.com has proven to be a "bad" thing. (In My experience)

You hit the nail on the head PeakShift. Some of the cache reviewers do that, but I do not. Despite some problems in the past, I'm glad I was never a hidden reviewer. I do hate having 2,150 logs right now. That's one downside. It is hard to find old finds or notes with all the clutter from approver notes.

To answer your question hardware, I always assume that people think I am speaking as a representative of the site. I try not to say anything that would embarrass the site, even if I were speaking for myself. My philosophy is that it is best to just avoid that possibility in any case and not make people have to guess. I don't understand why you would even be confused based on the content of my earlier post. It seems pretty clear that I was refering to caches that I approved.

My personal opinions are in line with the opinions for the site anyway, so I don't need a sock puppet account. I see no need for one at MnGCA.

Oddly enough, I do have "puppymonster" registered on GC.com. I don't want anyone using the name. I have posted using that account in the forums, but only in a comic way. It is not an "internet troll" sock puppet since most everyone knows who the puppymonster is. On his profile page it says "mtn-man's best friend". I have thought about going back and logging caches he was with me on with his account! That would be fun.

s4xton, you can move your own coordinates 527 feet. That does give you the ability to fix some coords that you may get on a bad day. If anyone needs help beyond that I am always happy to help.

Arcticabn, I understood and took no offense. I just wanted to clarify. I am far from perfect and have definately made some mistakes along the way. I would rather have them pointed out to me though. The only way I can learn from my mistakes is to have them pointed out to me. I only want the best for everyone and I love helping. That's why I'm so involved in the GGA. I've been to an event in AL, CO and TN and went to the first Geo-Woodstock meeting. I am really hoping to make a MN event this summer. I really want to meet you folks. I know it would be a blast.
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtn-man wrote:
I always assume that people think I am speaking as a representative of the site.

Thanks for the clarification.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Valentine Anniversary Cache Reply with quote

What happened to this one?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d3aa4e22-4f7a-4484-bb21-d8547b94daa0

If someone adopts it, can it be unarchived? We already have a similar one at MOA.

-Rick
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Valentine Anniversary Cache Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
If someone adopts it, can it be unarchived? We already have a similar one at MOA.

It has nothing to do w/adoption. KaiserKlan supposedly commutes from Kansas City and his wife is in permanent residence in Maple Grove (or something). In fact he placed a cache in Burnsville (less than 500 feet from a previous cache location that was plundered) and that was approved because of his wife's permanent residence.

I think it has to do w/the commercial nature of the cache. I agree 100% that it is not necessary to be active.

Silent Bob
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can call me a hypocrite since I have found the MOA cache, twice, but IMHO, I think these mall caches are the antithesis of what caching should be--using a GPS to seek a container hidden in the woods somewhere. Caching is a great way to get outside, find some great local parks, gain an appreciation for nature, etc. There's also the commercial vs. non-commercial aspect--You find numbers that lead you to a certain store, where you go ask for the cache. This issue can be kind of fuzzy, since you aren't required to purchase anything to look at the cache, but it requires you to go to a certain store.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with 15T 100%. Having a cache that doesn't require GPS, and forces you to go into a STORE and ask for it behind a counter is not only against geocaching.com policies, but it really degrades the sport.

-Aaron
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you guys start defining what YOU think a cache is or isn't, consider that many shoppers (my wife included) and out of towners appreciate these caches. I really hate this holier than thou attiitude that pervades gc.com and that seems to be creeping in here as well.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respect your opinion, RickRich. I am surprised, though, that you'd consdider my opinion about keeping corporate sponsorships out of the requirement to find a cache a "holier than thou" attitude.

You're right, though. Who am I (and 15T) to judge what is and is not a geocache for everyone else?

To each their own, I guess. =)

If it was me, I'd wish for a site, let's call it malltresure.com, and then everyone can create shopping-mall tresure hunts that have corporate sponsorships and don't require a GPS. I guess I personally view these types of mall hunts outside of the scope of geocaching.com. It's just my opinion.

Again, to each their own.

In terms of the cache mentioned - I think it should remain archived unless geocaching.com's policies change. Although I agree and disagree with many of their policies, having policies I disagree with is one thing; having policies that are not followed is another. Wonder if I buried a cache 10 feet under a landfill? Who is anyone to judge if that's a geocache or not? Wonder if I had a cache that in order to get the coordinates you had to shop at Target and Wal-Mart to compare prices?

I'm sorry I come off as "holier than thou" on this subject, but I stand by my opinion to keep commerical interests and influence out of finding a cache, and I still don't think that opinion is wrong to have.

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
Before you guys start defining what YOU think a cache is or isn't, consider that many shoppers (my wife included) and out of towners appreciate these caches. I really hate this holier than thou attiitude that pervades gc.com and that seems to be creeping in here as well.

It's against policy and they archived it. People should read what the rules are before they spend the time placing a cache and then there won't be any problems like this one.

Silent Bob
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a waste of my time to argue this any further as its pretty clear you've drunk the KoolAid.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holier than thou? Wink

To each their own...

-Aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: