MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disappearing coins

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Disappearing coins Reply with quote

This topic has probably been talked to death, but I was trying to think of a way to cut down on the amount of coins/tbs that disappear at events. I had someone from Germany contact me, a fairly new cacher, that can't understand how his daughter's coin disappeared from my archived cache. I am trying to explain to him it was an event, not a physical cache... but I think it's getting lost in translation. Now, that the event is over and archived, there is no way for me to contact everyone to ask if someone can find the coin and place it.

Anyways, does anyone have a good idea on how to do this in the future?

Here's mine, that I'm going to try... have a separate log book at an event for dropping off and picking up coins/tbs... a form-type log book, to fill in the cacher name, the tb, then the 3rd column for the name of the cacher that picks it up. Maybe this would help?
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't been to many events but my suggestion would be to NOT have a place where TBs can be dropped off. The event is supposed to be social so the transfer/discovery of travel bugs should require social interaction between cachers. My policy with trackables and events has been either I directly hand a trackable to someone or it's not leaving my possession.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
We haven't been to many events but my suggestion would be to NOT have a place where TBs can be dropped off. The event is supposed to be social so the transfer/discovery of travel bugs should require social interaction between cachers. My policy with trackables and events has been either I directly hand a trackable to someone or it's not leaving my possession.

I don't ever have a place to drop TBs off at an event, and this one was handed from one cacher to another. Unfortunately, he didn't remember who he gave it to, just someone who he met for the first time at the event.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case there would seem to be little an event organizer can do. If someone is lax about logging trackables, they are going to be lax about logging trackables.

I think one of the big problems with trackables is they are more or less not treated with any respect by Groundspeak. Every once in a while we have gotten a thank you note from an owner but beyond that there is little incentive to move them outside of the entertainment of moving them. It would be nice if they had some statistics associated with trackables and would make it easier to look back through past trackables.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: