MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private land or not?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lansima
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Private land or not? Reply with quote

I'm sure this has already been answered on here...but how do you find out what is private land and what is public land? There are a lot of "open areas" in the blaine/lino lakes/mounds view area, and I was wondering how do you find a map that says what's private property and what's not?
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Private land or not? Reply with quote

lansima wrote:
I'm sure this has already been answered on here...but how do you find out what is private land and what is public land? There are a lot of "open areas" in the blaine/lino lakes/mounds view area, and I was wondering how do you find a map that says what's private property and what's not?

Many of the counties, at least in the metro, make their GIS data open to the public as it's is public data. You can then search for plots and determine the owner.

I don't know if Anoka Co has a map based version, but I found this on a quick scan of their site.

https://prtinfo.co.anoka.mn.us/%28rif0ll45pyfq3l550kqk3r45%29/search.aspx
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most counties you can obtain a plat book that also shows ownership of the land. Doing it online is usually easier if you can find the information, but you can't always find it. Check with your auditor's office to see if they have plat books.

I'm glad to see you asking - many people don't ask and just go at it anyway which has the tendancy to cause problems for everyone.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the links to online property maps that I know about. If anyone can add to the list, please do so.

State reference

Aitkin County
Anoka County
Beltrami County
Benton County
Blue Earth
Carver County
Cass County
Chisago County
Clay County
Cook County
Cottonwood County
Crow Wing County
Dakota County
Dodge County
Douglas County
Freeborn County
Goodhue County
Hennepin County
Houston County
Hubbard County
Isanti County
Itasca County
Kandiyohi County
Le Sueur County
Lyon County
Martin County
McLeod County
Morrison County
Olmsted County
Otter Tail County
Pipestone County
Polk County
Ramsey County
Rice County
Rock County
Scott County
Sherburne County
St. Louis County
Stearns County
Steele County
Wabasha County
Washington County
Winona County
Wright County

(Despite what it says directly below this line, this post is continually edited to add, change, and remove links as we come aware of them. Contact Pear Head if you know of any changes that need to be made.)

Last edited by Surfer Joe on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
Here are the links to online property maps that I know about. If anyone can add to the list, please do so.

Thanks! That just got this post stickied to the top.
lansima
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks!
msrubble
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stearns County IMAP may be of interest. It identifies parcels, and sometimes gives the owner, e.g., State of Minnesota. Parks and trails are marked.

If you want to find out who owns private property, though, you have to pay. For real estate professionals only: Stearns County Property Management Portal. The other fee-for-service option is LandShark.

Kandiyohi County GIS Mapping. Can get it to show parcels, identifies owner. Might be Internet Explorer only.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dakota County

edit: SJ already had it on the list, I just missed it.
uffda320
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few more:

http://www.co.cass.mn.us/cassmnpublic/Default.aspx (Cass County)

http://www.co.hubbard.mn.us/wf2_hubbardpublic/Default.aspx (Hubbard County)

http://maps.co.beltrami.mn.us/BeltramiCX_public/CXviewer.htm (Beltrami County)

http://207.171.101.128/website/Itasca_Internet/viewer.htm (Itasca County)
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added the new links to my original list up above. The link to Stearns County appears to be broken so I didn't add it to the list.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am able to look up for anyone land ownership in Stearns County if someone sends me an email. Also at the same time we use the same system as Cottonwood, Dodge, Houston, Martin, Morrison, Pine, Rice, Sherburne, Watonwan, and Wright counties so I am able to crossover to their system and verify ownership.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for the links. I have confirmed that all five of my caches are on publicly-owned property. And as an aside the maps are way cool. It's very interesting to see who owns what.
If I were the approver for Minnesota I'd be tempted to require each cache submitter to visit these sites (where they are available) and state the name of the owner of the property on which the cache is hidden and state whether permission was obtained in the cases of privately-owned land.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUST AN FYI...

these electronic maps are cool and all, but it should be pointed out that just because you pull up a parcel of land and see "city of such and such" or "property of such and such county" does not ALWAYS mean it's free game. Municipal owned land that is leased out follows lease laws and you could still be trespassing in some circumstances.

Just make sure everyone knows these online map systems are not catch-alls. But then I am an implicit permission kind of guy, so what do I care Wink Wink Embarassed
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Municipal owned land that is leased out follows lease laws and you could still be trespassing in some circumstances.

Very good point. As an example, it is my understanding that many ski resorts in the Rockies are on land owned by the US Forest Service and leased to the corporations who run them. I think you'd have trouble accessing this publicly-owned land without paying for a lift ticket.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
If I were the approver for Minnesota I'd be tempted to require each cache submitter to visit these sites (where they are available) and state the name of the owner of the property on which the cache is hidden and state whether permission was obtained in the cases of privately-owned land.

I'm glad you're not. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: